is there an overtly convertly snobbery present ??????

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there a overtly covertly snobbery in this great hobby of ours ie my detector is better than yours costs more does everything but take your granny for a cup of tea on a sunny Sunday afternoon kinda of deal going down. Or is it a case that spending mega bucks = big finds or is it research=luck *equipment /time equation.

Upvote 0

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems to be a little of "mine costs more and is therefore better/best" all the way to "my $100 unit can beat anything out there" to actual objective discussions in between. It seems a shame that some choose to believe in a given model or brand supremacy and lose sight of the fact they may be painting themselves into a corner and missing out on some fun.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am tired of all the 'help me pick out a detector' entries. There are hundreds of them (if not more). If would be nice if there was a section specifically for it.

Some detectors are better at some things than others. However, I often find that the person using the detector, and their experience using it is more important than the model of detector (in most cases). In other cases, if you have the wrong type of detector, no matter what you do, it won't help much.

Its very hard to learn how to detect from reading a manual. A bit easier with a Video tutorial. You really need someone to walk you through the steps to get better at using a metal detector - I favor hunting partners.

I try a lot of detectors to see what I like about them. I find that with the top brands (not the cheap stuff with little history of detecting success, many of which are cheap Chinese knock-offs) all offer quality detectors. Success with them depends on experiance with your detector and developing skills for doing the type of detecting that interests you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am tired of all the 'help me pick out a detector' entries. There are hundreds of them (if not more). If would be nice if there was a section specifically for it.

Some detectors are better at some things than others. However, I often find that the person using the detector, and their experience using it is more important than the model of detector (in most cases). In other cases, if you have the wrong type of detector, no matter what you do, it won't help much.

Its very hard to learn how to detect from reading a manual. A bit easier with a Video tutorial. You really need someone to walk you through the steps to get better at using a metal detector - I favor hunting partners.

I try a lot of detectors to see what I like about them. I find that with the top brands (not the cheap stuff with little history of detecting success, many of which are cheap Chinese knock-offs) all offer quality detectors. Success with them depends on experiance with your detector and developing skills for doing the type of detecting that interests you.

some great points raised I ask help me to pick question at least twice a year

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Geograpic detectors rock

21iolVSBzNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems that some "put on" a detector like a woman wears a dress. They wouldn't be caught dead with a detector under $500. Me, I have a few. My best all-round detector is my GTAx 500 (out of print). My second choice is the Ace 250. Both are less than $500. Are there better on the market? I don't CARE! Mine work for me. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is Chevy better than Ford? NY Giants better than GB Packers? NY Yankees better than the Boston Redsox?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cheapie detector has paid for both my high priced detectors. Neither high priced detector has come close to paying for the cheapie.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to have moved on from cost to if a model is the latest. Might not be as good as the one it replaces but its newer so has to be better !

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't care less about brand name, cost, supposed abilities, etc.. :laughing7:

I would think it also has a lot to do at who's behind that little machine. It's also about proper coverage, making sure you overlap your hunt. Think, even with a $10,000 machine, if you're a foot away, you'll miss it :laughing7:

That would really burn you at a beach, especially if later in the day you spot someone going over an are you did earlier and finding something with your so called cheap detectors :laughing7: Yup, you would look in the general direction and swore you covered it :tongue3:

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is easy: Ford, Giants, neither (Mets).

PS Go Devils!!! Bring home the cup.

Please Sir your irreverent comments will lead to convolution of the statistical data please stay on topic don't you realise how important this poll is.
:laughing7:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please Sir your irreverent comments will lead to convolution of the statistical data please stay on topic don't you realise how important this poll is.
:laughing7:

Sorry...I lost my head for a minute...will not happen again. :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
National Geograpic detectors rock

View attachment 640849

I actually have one of these at my house...the kids play with it. I use it to gauge when the are ready for a better machine...my daughter at 8 has just started showing interest...lol.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are members that I call branded. You know like the Ford Chevy thing. Then there are members that want the deepest detector, even the deepest pinpointer. Then there are the members that want descrimination to the max. And of course the sensitivy crowd. Now aside from that there are the detection TYPE crowds. You know, Beach hunting, Park hunting, Tot lot hunting, Relic hunting, Cache hunting,etc,etc. I guess boils down To Each His Own. Most of us use the detectors for our favorite target. Most have a certain amount of pride in there instrument of detection. Heads down.jpg I guess it's all in your point of view! Frank

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too get tired of the "What detector should I buy." People can't think for themselves or do any reading at the manufacturers sites to decide which detector suits them. I enjoy all types of detecting so I have lots of tools to do the job. Sorta like a golfer needs different clubs for the course. I am fortunate to have retired early so I could go detecting anytime I wanted without having to cut the grass on good detecting days when the tide was right. I behold to no one manufacture and use what I think is best. Sometimes I chose wrong, like my AT Pro. But a friend, Doctor Detroit, bought me a new one and it is OK, but I don't have any confidence in it after the first one.:coffee2:

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i am sick of seeing what detector should i buy also..... Grow up check them out your self..... what i like you might hate..... Or what i hate you might like....................

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
is there a overtly covertly snobbery in this great hobby of ours ie my detector is better than yours costs more does everything but take your granny for a cup of tea on a sunny Sunday afternoon kinda of deal going down. Or is it a case that spending mega bucks = big finds or is it research=luck *equipment /time equation.
I am sick of the snobbs also ... And they all seem to use one brand and i get sick of hearing there empty braggs.............. They think that if someone don't pay a $1000.00 or more for a detector they are fools.......... But some of the top brand lower cost detectors will find the same thing there high buck detectors will find......... But don't tell them that or they get worse .... It's like they are blind and can not see the truth..... And the truth is no matter what brand detector or model or price range you pay for your detector .... And it works great for you and you like it that is what you should use................

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
buying a race car doesn't turn you into a highly skilled race car driver right away --so why should buying a high dollar metal detector do that for you -- yes you can "buy" a good machine --however you can not "buy" the skills needed to know how to really properly use it to full advantage , those YOU must learn and develop for yourself --there is no "short cut" for learning --a skilled mentor is a big help of course -- but it will still take time and effort ( aka) oaying your dues to get good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread