Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

View Poll Results: well is there

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 30.00%
  • No

3 7.50%
  • could be

8 20.00%
  • dont give a rats ass

11 27.50%
  • my detector is the best ever model

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: is there an overtly convertly snobbery present ??????

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    gb
    Jul 2009
    47 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

is there an overtly convertly snobbery present ??????

is there a overtly covertly snobbery in this great hobby of ours ie my detector is better than yours costs more does everything but take your granny for a cup of tea on a sunny Sunday afternoon kinda of deal going down. Or is it a case that spending mega bucks = big finds or is it research=luck *equipment /time equation.

us
    Mar 2010
    Denver, Colorado
    MXT Pro, XP Deus, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods, TDI SL
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    It seems to be a little of "mine costs more and is therefore better/best" all the way to "my $100 unit can beat anything out there" to actual objective discussions in between. It seems a shame that some choose to believe in a given model or brand supremacy and lose sight of the fact they may be painting themselves into a corner and missing out on some fun.
    tommcd and Sandman like this.

us
    Jan 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
    Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
    101 times
    Prospecting - Gold and Silver
    I am tired of all the 'help me pick out a detector' entries. There are hundreds of them (if not more). If would be nice if there was a section specifically for it.

Some detectors are better at some things than others. However, I often find that the person using the detector, and their experience using it is more important than the model of detector (in most cases). In other cases, if you have the wrong type of detector, no matter what you do, it won't help much.

Its very hard to learn how to detect from reading a manual. A bit easier with a Video tutorial. You really need someone to walk you through the steps to get better at using a metal detector - I favor hunting partners.

I try a lot of detectors to see what I like about them. I find that with the top brands (not the cheap stuff with little history of detecting success, many of which are cheap Chinese knock-offs) all offer quality detectors. Success with them depends on experiance with your detector and developing skills for doing the type of detecting that interests you.
    Last edited by jmoller99; May 29, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
    tommcd, TerryC and Sandman like this.
    Whites GMT, Whites GM Vsat, Whites 5900, Gold Mountain King Cobra, Bounty Hunter 3300

Charter Member
    gb
    Jul 2009
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoller99 View Post
    I am tired of all the 'help me pick out a detector' entries. There are hundreds of them (if not more). If would be nice if there was a section specifically for it.

Some detectors are better at some things than others. However, I often find that the person using the detector, and their experience using it is more important than the model of detector (in most cases). In other cases, if you have the wrong type of detector, no matter what you do, it won't help much.

Its very hard to learn how to detect from reading a manual. A bit easier with a Video tutorial. You really need someone to walk you through the steps to get better at using a metal detector - I favor hunting partners.

I try a lot of detectors to see what I like about them. I find that with the top brands (not the cheap stuff with little history of detecting success, many of which are cheap Chinese knock-offs) all offer quality detectors. Success with them depends on experiance with your detector and developing skills for doing the type of detecting that interests you.
    some great points raised I ask help me to pick question at least twice a year

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5157 times
    National Geograpic detectors rock

Name:  21iolVSBzNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  6.4 KB

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1518 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It seems that some "put on" a detector like a woman wears a dress. They wouldn't be caught dead with a detector under $500. Me, I have a few. My best all-round detector is my GTAx 500 (out of print). My second choice is the Ace 250. Both are less than $500. Are there better on the market? I don't CARE! Mine work for me. TTC
    Hoy es un regalo de Dios.

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3113 times
    Metal Detecting
    Is Chevy better than Ford? NY Giants better than GB Packers? NY Yankees better than the Boston Redsox?
    Keppy and TerryC like this.
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

Ism
    us
    Jun 2009
    Michigan
    Tesoro Vaquero Whites TDI Minelab Sovereign GT XP Deus
    135 times
    My cheapie detector has paid for both my high priced detectors. Neither high priced detector has come close to paying for the cheapie.
    Keppy, U.K. Brian and RaduTepes like this.
    When it comes to detecting, you will always find me "out standing in the field".

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    116 times
    Seems to have moved on from cost to if a model is the latest. Might not be as good as the one it replaces but its newer so has to be better !

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    I couldn't care less about brand name, cost, supposed abilities, etc..

I would think it also has a lot to do at who's behind that little machine. It's also about proper coverage, making sure you overlap your hunt. Think, even with a $10,000 machine, if you're a foot away, you'll miss it

That would really burn you at a beach, especially if later in the day you spot someone going over an are you did earlier and finding something with your so called cheap detectors Yup, you would look in the general direction and swore you covered it

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Is Chevy better than Ford? NY Giants better than GB Packers? NY Yankees better than the Boston Redsox?

Yes-No-Yes
    Sandman likes this.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000
    102 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    This is easy: Ford, Giants, neither (Mets).

PS Go Devils!!! Bring home the cup.

Charter Member
    gb
    Jul 2009
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N.J.THer View Post
    This is easy: Ford, Giants, neither (Mets).

PS Go Devils!!! Bring home the cup.
    Please Sir your irreverent comments will lead to convolution of the statistical data please stay on topic don't you realise how important this poll is.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    102 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by metal mania View Post
    Please Sir your irreverent comments will lead to convolution of the statistical data please stay on topic don't you realise how important this poll is.
    Sorry...I lost my head for a minute...will not happen again.

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    102 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    National Geograpic detectors rock

Name:  21iolVSBzNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  6.4 KB
    I actually have one of these at my house...the kids play with it. I use it to gauge when the are ready for a better machine...my daughter at 8 has just started showing interest...lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors