Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Iowa detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012

Iowa detecting

Live in small town of Runnells and was looking for any new places or ideas of good places to find old coins?

Jun 2012
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You and me both, I just North of Des Moines.

us
    Jan 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
    Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
    109 times
    Prospecting - Gold and Silver
    Do you have any places where a carnival sets up once a year? If there was a place like that from many years ago (or even recent) it would likely have coins from under any ride that moved fast or spun the occupants upside down. There used to a lot of amusement parks in Iowa that have shut down over the years (I had family in Spencer Iowa and we used to visit in the 1960's). Do some research.

Also look for places (get an old railway map from the 1920's thru 1940's) that were used as watering sites for steam trains - these sites are no longer in operation (as railway stops), but often have interesting finds. This type of railway stop is all over the country. Do some research in your area.
    Whites GMT, Whites GM Vsat, Whites 5900, Gold Mountain King Cobra, Bounty Hunter 3300

Jun 2012
    4 times
    Great idea on the carnival!

I did a few overlays from the 30's today, found 7 spots I doubt anyone has been, I'll post when I get a chance to check them out.

us
    Jan 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Gerrett, minelab go find
    2 times
    Anyone out there still active?
    ratty64galaxie likes this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    2335 times
    Gimme your jewels
    I'm very active in Des Moines (and surrounding). I can put you on a few spots where you will have a great chance to recover old coins, jewelry, and relics.
    dirt_diver74 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    11075 times
    Many moons ago I did a book report at Ankeny high school and the subject had to be something on state of lowa. I chose a book title I believe, The Geology of Iowa? One of the chapters covered in the book was on the coal mining industry of Iowa and in particular a town called Buxton, Iowa was covered in the chapter. Buxton was a boom town of mostly Black coal miners that operated at it's hight from 1895 to 1927. To this day, I've always thought the location of the ghost town of Buxton, Iowa would be an excellent place to investigate with a detector. I got an A and a high 5 from the teacher on that book report. I recall she found my research the most interesting of all the reports handed in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a00d8341ccce053ef017c37335018970b-500wi.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	1399664  
    dirt_diver74 and Deft Tones like this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    2335 times
    Gimme your jewels
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Many moons ago I did a book report at Ankeny high school and the subject had to be something on state of lowa. I chose a book title I believe, The Geology of Iowa? One of the chapters covered in the book was on the coal mining industry of Iowa and in particular a town called Buxton, Iowa was covered in the chapter. Buxton was a boom town of mostly Black coal miners that operated at it's hight from 1895 to 1927. To this day, I've always thought the location of the ghost town of Buxton, Iowa would be an excellent place to investigate with a detector. I got an A and a high 5 from the teacher on that book report. I recall she found my research the most interesting of all the reports handed in.
    Ha, I've thought the same thing about Buxton. Lots of important black history on that site. Another spot for military history detecting (including black officer training) is the park adjoining Ft. Des Moines that used to be part of the Ft.
    tamrock likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    New Glarus,WI
    CTX,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
    219 times
    A couple of resources,if you don't have them...NETR Online ? Historic Aerials and Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ?

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    2335 times
    Gimme your jewels
    dirt_diver74 likes this.

us
    Mar 2013
    Kansas
    Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
    380 times
    Metal Detecting
    Van Cleve and Ormanville are two of several abandoned town cites that should be worth checking out.
    A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

us
    Jan 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Gerrett, minelab go find
    2 times
    Great to see the local activity

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7157 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    watch out for that deft-tones fellow though. He's having psychotic delusions of having found old coins in that area. He's harmless as long as he takes his meds
    Deft Tones likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    2335 times
    Gimme your jewels
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    watch out for that deft-tones fellow though. He's having psychotic delusions of having found old coins in that area. He's harmless as long as he takes his meds
    Ha, I swear I'm not baiting someone to search deep in the woods for the crusty zinc pennies I seeded. Those coins were all pre-82....

us
    Nov 2012
    Ankeny Iowa
    Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
    25 times
    I have always thought that Buxton or Enterprise would make for a great hunt. Enterprise is mostly corn field now.
    dirt_diver74 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links