Should you ever stop digging? (basketball court)

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am relatively new at this hobby. I hit a local park in the area, and detected around the walking path and found very little, just some cans (buried very deep) and not much of anything else save the occasional coin.

Then I went to the basketball court. It has 6 or 8 nets all around it. Just about anywhere on the perimeter I get hits! and I dig, and there is never just one coin, there is like many. I found 10 coins in one hole. But I dig, find coin, detect, dig more, and then 3-6 inches away, I get more hits, dig, then inches away get more hits, dig. Even trying to dig cleanly, it ends up being quite a mess. I have found very little garbage on the perimeter, its all coins! this is a relatively new park (last 10 years), so all the coins are relatively newer coins, nothing special, not like this park was here 100 years ago. So I basically got pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters.

Should I just dig up all this stuff the best I can and then press on and not feel bad about it? My thoughts are this is my "local park", so once I clean it out, I can regularly hit it and will just be digging less stuff. Right now since it looks like no one has worked this place in years, its just full of stuff and that is why there is so many holes to dig.

Also anyone dig basketball courts like this, is this many pocket spill type holes that common? My thought is that people that play basketball don't want change in their pockets, so they empty the pockets on the edge. The coins end up getting knocked into the grass area and then sink over time. So far I have only found coins but I am betting the fact that their is so much coins, it is likely that I find some bracelets, rings, keys, etc. I plan to hit this hard the next fews days and weekend and get it all cleaned out.

Upvote 0

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am hitting targets, I keep digging. Just level off the holes when you fill them and things should be ok.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopd by this park that had a 10x10 area of old sawdust that grass had grown over and just happen to walk over it on the ay to the car to leave and my detector went crazy with targets...i ended up shutting off my detector and using my pinpointer there was coins all over in the sawdust area i maybe dug 7 bucks in clad and got 5 wheats when i left there was just as many targets i think as when i started lol

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've got two BB courts I hit regularly. My first jewelry find was from one of them and I hit that one in the summer once a week. This one court has a 4 foot high cyclone fence around the court with grass between the fence and court. Kids love to throw their sweats or jackets over the fence and that I believe is where my finds come from, along with the setting stuff on the edge. Heck I credit that court for my pinpointer I got so much clad from it last summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread