Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I've hit at least 3, over the years, when I perceived that they used to have dirt parking lots, or play or turf/dirt areas next to the screen/snack-stand area. In each case, got coins of varying degrees. But of course, drive-ins only date the 1940s or '50s at the earliest, so ..... I don't recall getting many old coins (but did get a few wheaties, etc....). Real junky.

As for permission, the ones I hit were abandoned (go figure, the era of "drive-in movies" ended in the 1970s, so none are open anymore), so there was no one to ask permission from, since they are just open lots now.

Has anyone ever tried to get permission to MD some old drive ins? There's a few in the out skirts of my area always thought about it but never got around to finding out who owns them

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There used to be an old drive in, in my town. Years ago they tore it down and put in a shopping center. I wish i would have been into detecting when it was still standing. If i were you id probably try to find the owner, youll never know whats there till you get permission. All they could say is no, but it wouldnt hurt to ask.

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is still in use, but I found old aireal photos from the 50s and it was there. I got on there website and emailed them so hopefully I get an answer soon.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only ever found one that was productive and as the patent for this type of cinema was only granted to Richard Hollingshead in 1932 the chance of earlier finds in down to sheer luck.

There was a few listing sites so you can check an area out such as Drive-Ins.Com. It tells you the car capacity, if/when closed etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread