When to dig and when not to dig?

kywildcat

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a newbie and I have a question for all the experts. I have a Whites Coinmaster. I get small signals and occasionally longer signals. They all say there is something there even when I pin point it, but most of the time it says its 6-8 inches deep. I must be doing something wrong with my digging, because even if I dig right there 10 inches deep I cant find anything. This happens with every hole I dig. I just cant seem to find the object when digging. Am I misinterpreting the tones? Digging Wrong? what? It seems like a simple concept, but Im having all kinds of trouble. Please help me.

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't a clue about your specific detector, but if you are getting a reading there is some type of metal there, so dig. Another thing, the pin pointer may not be true dead center on your machine, maybe it's closer to the heel :dontknow:

I would practice at home just to get an idea of different coin tones and while you're at it check to see how it lays in regards to the pin pointer.

Good luck :thumbsup:

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you need is a Garrett Propointer. It will make things MUCH EASIER.

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds as if pinpointing is the bugaboo here. Set up a treasure garden or just place coins in the yard so they are visable. Pass your detector over them. Determine where they are located under the coil when you get the best tone/response. It will be in that position that you find the buried metal/coins. NOW DIG! and have fun. HHHH

Srhoads

Apr 26, 2012
Rantoul, IL
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't a clue about your specific detector, but if you are getting a reading there is some type of metal there, so dig. Another thing, the pin pointer may not be true dead center on your machine, maybe it's closer to the heel :dontknow:

I would practice at home just to get an idea of different coin tones and while you're at it check to see how it lays in regards to the pin pointer.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Sounds like you are chasing false iron signals. Repeatable both ways, turn 90 degrees and see if it repeats both ways again. I have a coinmaster pro. I hunt w/ no discrimination and with smart tone on. If you dig an item and it's not within a inch or so of what the detector says, it is probably a large iron piece or aluminum can. The detector is calibrated to coin size obects, so it will tell you a large metal item is closer to the surface based on the signal strength. Pin point is dead acurate. I hit p/p, go to one side, note where tone stops, other side, note again where tone stops, all based on the inner coil. Then I repeat at 90 degrees. If I could dig a 6" deep, 1" wide plug, I would and would get the coin every time.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The depth meter that you're relying on (6" etc....) is calibrated for coin-sized targets only. So perhaps you simply have a larger target down deeper .

A hubcap , for instance , at two feet deep , might say penny at 6", etc ... Or a soda can at a foot might say quarter at 3" etc is....

Experience will tell you the difference .

Best to hook up with someone proficient and trade off flagged signals.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
er Srhoads, I'm not having any difficulty in locating a target :laughing7:

I was rushing the post and neglected to add the information that Tom did, but I was hoping he got the idea. :tongue3:

As far as a coil pp being 100% accurate, not all are.. Some will be off by a few inches and that can make a difference too.

Wickedwrx

Dec 29, 2011
Southeast, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are chasing false iron signals. Repeatable both ways, turn 90 degrees and see if it repeats both ways again. I have a coinmaster pro. I hunt w/ no discrimination and with smart tone on. If you dig an item and it's not within a inch or so of what the detector says, it is probably a large iron piece or aluminum can. The detector is calibrated to coin size obects, so it will tell you a large metal item is closer to the surface based on the signal strength. Pin point is dead acurate. I hit p/p, go to one side, note where tone stops, other side, note again where tone stops, all based on the inner coil. Then I repeat at 90 degrees. If I could dig a 6" deep, 1" wide plug, I would and would get the coin every time.

I agree with Srhoads. I also have a coinmaster and I have had the same problems. The more you work with the machine the more you learn its Quirks. Keep at it though the coinmaster is a great machine!

OP
OP
kywildcat

kywildcat

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions