Whats the strangest thing you have found Metal Detecting?

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a watch fob commemorating the new statue of Roswell Pettibone Flower put up in Watertown NY in 1910. RPF was a Watertown native and Gov. of NY in late 1800s, so the city commissioned none other than the great Augustus St Gaudens to do the massive bronze (perhaps he may have engraved the fob die also?). I recently found the fob about two blocks away from the statue in an old forgotten park about quarter acre in size, my bud just pulled an 1805 cent out of there. This was found with cz20 four inches down. We used to climb up the statue and tape a beer can in Roswell's outstretched hand around Halloween time, many years ago. Strange, but true.

rpf1.jpg rpf.jpg

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half of a set of dentures, I didn't dig any further!

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug up a metal box ,when I got the lid off I could see it was full of ashes, I didn't look any further, just covered it back up

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strangest finds for me: glass crack pipe (on the beach). I also have the knack of finding plastic army men just about every time I go out detecting.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting an old baseball field and dug a small metal rectangle covered with dirt. I scraped it off and it was a name tag - with my name (Scott) on it. Kinda creepy. At least it didn't say "Don't look up" :)

I recently dug my back yard and found an Egyptian cartouche with my name on it, missing one letter (my name is Kerri, the cartouche said Keri). My basement also has the name, "Keri" written on the wall in childish scrawl (a deciding factor in buying the house-odd, I know) so it wasn't quite the surprise that it could have been.

Also found the below-sorry if others have already read the post-

Freaked me out....

Ok, so I didn't find this today, but back in December....

A few friends and I were exploring a park along the Delaware River (near Camden, NJ-can you say "crime"?) and were kinda spread out away from each other. It was low tide and the beach was exposed (along with all of the f'ing trash!). I looked up and saw this:
Dec 30 2011 sized.jpg

After nearly having a heart attack and calling over my friend who assured me that it was a fake, "see the glue on top of the skull?", we had a good laugh, a took a few pics and we went on our merry way.

Anyone ever find anything creepy like this?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the most interesting find I had was one at the beach. I got a good signal at 2" down. Removed some sand and found what I thought was a siver ring. When I grabbed it, I found it was the last eye on a fishing pole. The pole was buried in the sand at a slight angle and by the time I got it completely uncovered, I had a trench 10 ft long and 2 ft deep! The reel still works but the pole was cracked.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't dig it, but back in the 1970's the fellow I was hunting with dug a leg shackle with a bone still in it. I thought that was a strange one for sure!

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
I didn't dig it, but back in the 1970's the fellow I was hunting with dug a leg shackle with a bone still in it. I thought that was a strange one for sure!

I think that might be about as strange as it gets. Did they ever date the shackles?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that might be about as strange as it gets. Did they ever date the shackles?

They were thought at the time to be Civil War era, but I am not really sure. Lots of Civil War activity in the area, but no way to definitively tie them to the war.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strangest find I think is this thing: My newest digs!! 002.JPG I still dont know who or what it is!

vuggy

Apr 6, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro / 12" 300 / Eclipse DD / Eclipse Shooter
|
Bounty Hunter |
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last month, I got mixed "interesting signals" from one small spot. In the same hole, I dug up a pair of prison issue glasses, with a 1968 Matchbox VW Beetle toy car, and a kid's lunchbox name tag that said "Cody". That was a weird combo, and a little creepy!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long time ago I spotted a small back pack in some bushes and when I checked it out it was filled with motorized rubber sex toys, one of which was about the size of my fore arm. Needless to say I left it right there, and kind of kept an eye in that direction just to see who might come get it. No one ever showed up though so I have only my imagination of the person who would stash something like that in the park.

Another time I found three brass pot pipes, a lighter, and about 10$ in change in the same hole.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An autographed picture of Richard Simmons , still in it's frame wrapped in a half rotten pair of men's underwear .. I stomped back into the ground and reburied it cause it skeered me half to death .. no bs :dontknow:

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Found something really strange just yesterday with my Compadre.Got a faint signal and thought maybe some small gold ring,dug out the plug and found 2 small BB looking things that were magnetic,they were down maybe 2 1/2" have no clue what they were used for.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they were BB's. I remember getting some as a kid that were copper coated steel.....to keep them from rusting in the box I suppose.....

Kbron2000

May 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT ,Fisher F2 DD Coil, NEL Tornado Coil, Garret Propointer ....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple humping :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread