Whats the strangest thing you have found Metal Detecting?

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My three strangest finds were in the 1970's.
On a vacant lot that had once had an 1800's to 1920's road house on it. It was almost dark one evening, I got a strong signal, near a large tree, about a foot down was an old five gallon grease can with bend tabs around the top. I uncovered the top pried it off the can and inside was about a two gallon large mouth jar, I lifted it out of the can thinking that I had found treasure. I held it up in the setting sun light and there was a baby inside in formaldehyde. I slowly set the jar back in hole, put the lid back on the can and covered with an inch or two of dirt. Early the next morning, I called the police and met them at the location. About two weeks later, the M.E. reported that it had probably been there for fifty years and was too decomposed to tell anything about it. Probably a still born or died near after birth,
The next unusual find was in a brushy area near where they were building a throughway. I got a strong signal and about a foot down, I found a pay phone that had been torn from a phone booth and the change drawer had been broken out with a hammer, scattered around the area I found about a dollar in change that they had dropped. I reported it to the police, but I never heard anything else from it.
The third unusual find, a grounds keeper at a local school that I had become friends with told me the location where his Grandparents had lived when the government called in gold coinage. His Grandfather did not want to turn in his gold so he buried it in a can in the hog pen. He gave me details of the location were the house once stood and where the hog pen was. The next day, I searched the area and right where he said, I got a good signal. I dug down about a foot and again I found an old five gallon grease can with bend over tabs, I cleaned the dirt away from the top and bent the tabs up and pried the lid off to find nothing in the can but leftover wadded up paper. Apparently, his Grandfather had retrieved the gold at some time or someone else had already found it before me.
These were my most unusual and exciting finds, even though there was no monetary gain, they left me with wonderful stories to tell.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get my vote with your first find! It's hard to beat finding a baby in a jar for strangest find!

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get my vote with your first find! It's hard to beat finding a baby in a jar for strangest find!

It is not only strange. It leaves a person with a creepy feeling that they don't know exactly what to do. As I stated I set the jar very easily back in the can and covered it.
I had a man and his wife that were good friends of mine that lived about two blocks from the location. I went to their house, told them of the find and ask their advise as to what I should do. They told me to call the police. I didn't want to go back there in the dark, so that is why I waited until the next morning after daylight to call them.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything creepy about it..........just sad.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a large signal in a private backyard , thinking it was just buried junk, I said what the heck and dug it anyway. My Lesche struck a coffee can, with the lid still on it. I hit the motherlode, I thought . Removed can from the hole and shook it, something was in it. I was certain it was the old farmer's money stash!! removed lid and it was someone's pet hamster that they had given a proper burial too. What a stench!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 2.2 copper piece from a turn of the century casket. And a 3 rose gold painted lead church pew or casket piece.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, the strangest thing I ever found was an unopened bottle of 1996 baron Rothschild wine on a plowed field.took it to an auction house and got £100 for it.

I wonder if the "old lady" drove her husband to drink and he would lay out in the field and get wasted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread