TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello I just came across a used metal detector that appears to be a decent one judging by the display (and in my very limited budget); however, I would like to know the manufacturer and model of the metal detector.

I asked the owner what brand/model it is and he does not know. The reason is it was painted and the information is not visible. Can anyone help identify this metal detector?

The owner claims it works great and I am welcome to try it outside before buying - so no problem there. I just want to avoid a long trip/time/gas for something that isn't worth it.

md0.jpg
md1.jpg
md2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found it!

After using Google image with the keywords "metal detector display" (after countless other things) it showed me the correct display finally. Turns out this MD is a American Hawks Explorer II Metal Detector model HP-1020.

It looks like the coil is different than the original, but looking at the photo I think it is a coil cover - and the display is cropped in the photo I have but it is the same MD.

Anyone have one of these or have any feedback? Doesn't seem to be a well-known MD, about all I can find is the company information on it (and we all know how that can be), and it was likely sold to the owner from Sears.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it works for you ...now you just have to find something worth hunting

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your gas money. It's a cheap chi-com detector.
Stick with recognizable name brands. Both a Fisher F2 and the Tesoro Compadre will put that one to shame, for under $200 new.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it will work as far as finding metal, but if you want to seriously take up the hobby you won't be happy with it. I'm not sure of your budget, but an F2, or an Ace 250 would be a good bet for a machine to get started with, and you can pick them up used pretty cheap. Around 200$ on Ebay.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help, I did pass on the detector. My budget is non-existent, i.e. around $100 so I have been looking for deals at eBay and Amazon.

Although I took my money and went today and purchased a new Bounty Hunter Tracker IV metal detector, and the BH MD headphones. I got the last of each at my local Hobby Lobby and used a 40% off coupon (I printed from their website) on the MD and got them both for under $100. I got to do some detecting in my backyard before it got dark -- I'm glad to be back in the hobby. :D

Many thanks to cheapomd for his post about doing the same - I would have never though Hobby Lobby had MD's (and neither did the store clerk I called :D)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread