chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about you guys but I tried something new and had some descent success...

park.JPG

See the road around the 1930's park.. its is very hard and compacted so no one in their right mind would try to hunt it and dig into that... but it could be a excellent place to find coins and ring in a place that has been hunted out... for a two reasons.

#1 most hunters won't even try because of the hard ground
#2 people got in and out of the vehicles on theses roads taking keys in and out of their pockets, pulling out change and jewelry in the process.

So try it in your area and let me know what you find!

Chukers

Upvote 0

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went detecting at on old iron bridge (now closed) the goes into a state forest last weekend. I had the best luck finding coins on both sides of road approaching the old bridge, and not in the area around it. I also had the best luck at a local park last week right on the edge of the parking lot and road going to the lot. I think #2 that you mentioned above is the most logical explanation.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went detecting at on old iron bridge (now closed) the goes into a state forest last weekend. I had the best luck finding coins on both sides of road approaching the old bridge, and not in the area around it. I also had the best luck at a local park last week right on the edge of the parking lot and road going to the lot. I think #2 that you mentioned above is the most logical explanation.

I agree totally... I have been hunting gravel parking lots lately and finding all kinds of clad coins... but it is very discouraging when the ground is as hard as it is here in central Texas. Thank for your input!

Chukers

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I friend of mine in the UK says that there are people going over areas with Minelab PI detectors (getting 1 to 2 foot targets). The UK has many centuries more of history to detect for, but if you are looking for potential deep caches - it might be the next step.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Chuckers,Maybe one of these will help,just need a LONG extention cord:laughing7: God Bless Chris

Attachments

• imagesCA1IR47M.jpg
    imagesCA1IR47M.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,073
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuckers,Maybe one of these will help,just need a LONG extention cord:laughing7: God Bless Chris

I quit before I turn into one of the American Diggers!!!

chukers

but I get your point...

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Digging Those Old Beaten Paths

That's a tip that many of the hunters I give here in NY, and they just laugh at me, saying how can anything survive being pounded on a path, or trail like that. :dontknow: I explain that we do not know how that beaten path or trail was a hundred or so years ago. They have since change their mind, because after I showed them the Barber Half, Mercs, Indians, and jewelry I've been digging out of these beaten paths as I call them, all of a sudden, I'm finding freshly dug signs of digging, :laughing7: but, what I like, is that the dug area doesn't look like anyone has dug in the first place as the hunters that I know, cover there holes and leave the area better than it was in the beginning :notworthy:.

Anyway, as I was detecting :metaldetector: on an old beaten path that is about 4 to 6 feet wide near a lagoon where I hunt, and slowly mind you, very slow swings, back and forth straight in front of me... When I got that all familiar
MineLab SE Pro signal, the screaming of silver, with the cersor stuck at the upper right hand corner. And as I got down to my knee, I knew I had my work cut out for me, but I also knew I had a find :find: worth digging. Thank God it was nice out at about 65 degrees, so I went at it, and you know, most of the time on these beaten path, you only need to break through and get under about the first 2 to 3 inches, sometimes 4, and the rest under neath that is much softer that one would think, but I've been told about that Texan soil.
So, :laughing9: after about 2 and half inches, the ground gave way and down at about 7 inches, I saw this pale disc at the bottom... A 1914 D Barber Half, and that's not the half of it....
LOL. I continue in the same area at about a 6 foot diameter on and off the beaten path, and dug 2 Mercs, both in their teens, and a 1908 Barber Dime which was off the beaten path in the softer ground by a tree.

I love this hobby... here's one of my tips for hunted out parks. When in the woods, I look for the torn bushes, a lot of hunters will stay away from them :BangHead:, but, I know, as I look in hind sight of what was then and not what is now, because those torn bushes may or may not have been there years and years ago, so I stick my 6 or 7" coil right to the base of these babies and around, many a time I've found jewelry, coins and relics in the torn bushes area. Look for the way out the place areas, around rocks and trees and you may be surprised of all the goodies left for you to find.

Well
HH all, hope that the tips Chuker :notworthy: has brought out will widen your search for treasure, and remember, most of all, treasure can be anywhere... God bless, and may you find the treasure of your dreams...

The Colonel :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tip that many of the hunters I give here in NY, and they just laugh at me, saying how can anything survive being pounded on a path, or trail like that. :dontknow: I explain that we do not know how that beaten path or trail was a hundred or so years ago. They have since change their mind, because after I showed them the Barber Half, Mercs, Indians, and jewelry I've been digging out of these beaten paths as I call them, all of a sudden, I'm finding freshly dug signs of digging, :laughing7: but, what I like, is that the dug area doesn't look like anyone has dug in the first place as the hunters that I know, cover there holes and leave the area better than it was in the beginning :notworthy:.

Anyway, as I was detecting :metaldetector: on an old beaten path that is about 4 to 6 feet wide near a lagoon where I hunt, and slowly mind you, very slow swings, back and forth straight in front of me... When I got that all familiar
MineLab SE Pro signal, the screaming of silver, with the cersor stuck at the upper right hand corner. And as I got down to my knee, I knew I had my work cut out for me, but I also knew I had a find :find: worth digging. Thank God it was nice out at about 65 degrees, so I went at it, and you know, most of the time on these beaten path, you only need to break through and get under about the first 2 to 3 inches, sometimes 4, and the rest under neath that is much softer that one would think, but I've been told about that Texan soil.
So, :laughing9: after about 2 and half inches, the ground gave way and down at about 7 inches, I saw this pale disc at the bottom... A 1914 D Barber Half, and that's not the half of it....
LOL. I continue in the same area at about a 6 foot diameter on and off the beaten path, and dug 2 Mercs, both in their teens, and a 1908 Barber Dime which was off the beaten path in the softer ground by a tree.

I love this hobby... here's one of my tips for hunted out parks. When in the woods, I look for the torn bushes, a lot of hunters will stay away from them :BangHead:, but, I know, as I look in hind sight of what was then and not what is now, because those torn bushes may or may not have been there years and years ago, so I stick my 6 or 7" coil right to the base of these babies and around, many a time I've found jewelry, coins and relics in the torn bushes area. Look for the way out the place areas, around rocks and trees and you may be surprised of all the goodies left for you to find.

Well
HH all, hope that the tips Chuker :notworthy: has brought out will widen your search for treasure, and remember, most of all, treasure can be anywhere... God bless, and may you find the treasure of your dreams...

Great follow up... I also try to get under the bushes as far as I can because I know those areas are the less hunted areas and those bushes and shrubs were not there years ago. I agree 100%

Chukers

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Well

Found this in the middle of a woods path that goes back 200yrs.+literally a wide U.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 148

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The harder, or more exotic a place is, the better the chance most others will pass it up. Good thread. TTC

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a tip for a hunted out place.....DON'T hunt there ya BIG SILLY GOOSE!!!! ROFFLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread