xlt whites depth

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I air tested it in preprogrammed coin mode and only get 6 1/2 on coin is my machine working right. Also is the new v3i a lot better for depth

What size coin was it? For a dime-sized target, presets on the xlt ought to get about 8", and a quarter to perhaps 9" (depending on what you consider a signal or not, of varying degrees of repeatability, etc...) Are you sure you're swinging the target fast enough by the coil in your air test? The XLT is a fairly fast motion swing machine (requires motion in disc. mode, and the faster you whip, the deeper the depth, *to a degree anyhow*). Try it again with a fast clip on your swing sweep.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an xlt and v3i. Tom is right, swing a little faster with the xlt and the depth will increase. My son now uses the xlt and I'm still learning the v3i but there is a lot of differences between the two.

OP
OP
G

greatwhitetailhorns

Jun 5, 2012
Is the v3 or v3i that much better a lot deeper I am new and digging memorial pennies @ 6 inches think I need deeper detector

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great....there is a nice learning curve on the v3 and v3i. I think there are around 168? settings you can adjust....think i have used about 190..lol . I have found quite a few coins that the xlt wouldn't hit on. My deepest with the xlt has been around 7". So far...I have dug a few coins at 8" to 9" but most of the coins I find is below 4". It really depends on the location you are hunting and how much the coins will sink. I haven't tried the v3i in any real old places yet...I think if you are just starting, stick with the xlt and play with the preloaded programs. You can also do a google search on jb xlt programs and give them a shot. Get used to that one first..you can always upgrade...GL and HH

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep is silver normally
There again, it just depends on where you hunt. I have been finding mercs last week at about 2 inches. My son found a 1906 silver half dollar at 3" with the xlt....You just never know..Depth is not always an indicator of age...I have found stinkin Lincolns down 5 or 6"...

OP
OP
G

greatwhitetailhorns

Jun 5, 2012
I'm in black moist dirt thanks for the input. Was getting tired of digging 2 to 3 inch coin dug about 40 Lincoln cents and 2 wheaties. And one Indian head @ 6 inchea

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in black moist dirt thanks for the input. Was getting tired of digging 2 to 3 inch coin dug about 40 Lincoln cents and 2 wheaties. And one Indian head @ 6 inchea
I had been detecting for about 5 years before I found my first Indian....you have done good. Try some of JB's programs. I think you will have fun playing with those...Just don't get discouraged..and have FUN...:))

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your detector may have a fault but we would need to know what coin you are testing . If it was as large as a quarter something is badly wrong. That programme and the stock coil I can air test a quarter at 10.5 inches. Not that I would ever use that programme as its so mild. For depth your going to have to increase sensitivity and/or Pre -Amp which should take the air depth to over 14 inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread