ok finally narrowed it down.

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok, i have finally narrowed it down. I need to keep max cost at $200 because of recent bills ect.

I was looking at the whites prism II for $200
and the bounty hunter tracker IV for $159

wich would be the better choice? what are some other good detectors for $200 and under? thank you for your patience and time
Scavenger

Upvote 0

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You can get a Garrett Ace 250 for 199 shipped on ebay and includes headphones, carry bag, apron, and 2 Garrett books. I just got mine yesterday and love it.

Go to the Garrett website and look on the forum page and you can read what people have to say about it.

F

fahrenheit

I agreed with Doug-Iowa. The Teroso Compadre is an excellent one for that budget. And maybe the Tesoro Silver Umax (used) is about $200 or less, from Clevenger?

that is what I think from the research I did.

my budget is about $300-$350. so I am thinking either the Conquistador, Eldorador, or the Cibola. Thanks Doug. :D

fahrenheit

A

alderhills

We have a BH and it works fine. The only reason I would eventually get a White's is that they are close to where we live in Oregon..OH, and they have a GREAT track record.

Wirechief

Greenie
Sep 5, 2004
The Tesoro Compadre is your best choice with lifetime warranty and it works well and is simple to use, I have been using one for the last couple of weeks. Price around 155.00. John's Radio Shop & Metal Detectors. 325-282-2329 :D

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check on used detectors. Call and he will send you a listing

Clevengers Detector Sales
1-800-999-9147

S

seismo

I don't want to knock anybody's detectors but my opinion of Bounty Hunter isn't very high.
The only reason I says this is because as a birthday gift a few years ago I received a Radio Shack Discovery 3000, which was made by Bounty Hunter. It was absolutely awful. It had so many false positive beeps it was ridiculous. I think it was probably due to Radio Shack "dumbing-down" the Bounty Hunter by removing the adjustable ground balance knob and putting a push-button ground balance in it's place. Regardless, that experience has left me with a bad taste for Bounty Hunter, although I'm sure the true Bounty Hunter models must be much better than the Radio Shack versions or they wouldn't still be in business (yes, it was *that* bad).

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well seems like everyone is pretty fond of the tesco compadre. I think that is what i'll get I found a place where i can get one for $152 shipped, sounds like a good deal to me :) ;D

V

vicv

I also have a Radio Shack detector ( a gift about 3 years ago) and am trying to learn to use it. But it has a "ground balance" adjustment knob - seems it is similar to the Bounty Hunter Land Star
http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtests/LT980958.cfm
Am trying this setting and it seems to work - "That unit is exactly like my BH Land Star. Here is the setting that I use on my unit. Turn the on/off knob to the 2 of 3 o'clock position. Press the ground trac button. Turn the ground trac knob to the preset position. Turn the disc/notch knob 1/3 turn clockwise. Press the auto/notch pad. This will put the machine in a good mode to hunt most anything. I was using this setting last summer when I found my wife's ring. 14K yellow gold ladies engagement ring with 1 k diamond appraised at $2650.00. And I"m still finding good things. Just keep the coil flat to the ground and find areas where people gather a lot."
I think the problem with these detectors for the newbie is the labeling of the controls - the words just don't make sense to a newbie - like "notch" and etc. The RatShack directions are poor to say the least and a little surfing for the Bounty Hunter Land Star will give you a better feel for the machine. Going to bury some coins as different depths in the dirt and see what happens - Who knows, I just might be able to find something else
Cheers
VicV

M

mchamby

I wouldn't go with a Bounty Hunter, I have a 3300 from Radio Shack I think it cost around 300.00 one year ago and it is a very poor machine. Sometimes the pin point won't work and the gound balance is a knob but it still doesn't adjust to the gound very well. I get lots of 199 reading that are nothing. I am saving for a whites DSX.
I can't wait for spring so I can go back out thring. Vermont is a little frozen at this time of year.
Mchamby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread