Help noob

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
I have gone detecting a couple of times with my Garrett Ace 350. I get signals and dig to depth it recommends but generally don't find anything.

I rescan the hole and plug. Signal is gone.... I have tried to decrease the sensitivity.

Can't afford a pointer just yet. Any recommendations?

Have found one spoon, small metal bar and bottle cap. Lol my youngest calls them our treasures! Lol

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Ace 250 and I would think the only difference is your $100 higher price tag :laughing7:

Honestly, I use the all metal mode and just get accustomed to the tones. As far as sensitivity I would keep it at about 3

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
After a while you will be able to tell by the sound and length of the tone what is there (75% of the time anyway) and not even worry about the screen. Put it on jewelry mode and about 4 bars of sensitivity and don't worry about how deep it says an object is. Listen for crisp, repeatable tones and scan it from different directions. If it is a constant solid tone that keeps hitting the same icon (or relativly close) dig your plug, scan the plug and the hole to see if you dug it up or not and go from there. Harbor freight sells a Cen-tech pin pointer for $15, I'm sure it isn't nearly as good as the expensive ones but if your on a tight budget it's better then nothing and will save you a lot of time.

A word of caution though, if you want to find gold you have to dig just about every signal above iron. My best find was a 14k tennis braclet (stones were cz though) and it was a choppy signal. It took me probably about 50 hours of detecting to figure out my machine and I still learn stuff all the time. Good luck and be patient...it'll happen if you keep after it.

Charlie

OP
OP
S

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
spartacus53 said:
I use the Ace 250 and I would think the only difference is your $100 higher price tag :laughing7:

Honestly, I use the all metal mode and just get accustomed to the tones. As far as sensitivity I would keep it at about 3

Yeah what can I say it was the coil that sold me. I believe they call it the double D coil, and I am a big fan of Double D's lol

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:
Yeah what can I say it was the coil that sold me. I believe they call it the double D coil, and I am a big fan of Double D's lol

:laughing9: as savant said put it in jewelry mode i run mine anywhere from 2 to 3 notches below max hit all signals from different angles sometimes i will get a solid coin hit go to the other side and find out its a flat piece of iron dig all foil and pulltabs good luck

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think savant hit it on the head with "repeatable." Make sure you're digging repeatable sounds. My Ace 350 will hit a nice high tone on my left swing, and the swing back gets nothing. If I can't get it to repeat, I don't dig. Unless I've totally exhausted the property and I'll go back with the Pro Pointer. BTW, save up for a Pro Pointer. It'll change your life!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread