headphones compatible with metal detectors?

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to buy a Garret Ace 250 online later today and I want to get some headphones that will work with it. I have head phones lying around the house that I really like with a standard headphone jack. I am noticing that there are specific headphones for metal detectors, so are metal detector headphones the only ones that will work with metal detectors or can you plug any pair of headphones into a metal detector?

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The best analogy that I can possibly offer regarding using headphones or not while metal detecting is a visual analogy. If you can't easily read the date on that old deep coin that you just skillfully extracted from that old turf (and only because you were wearing your headphones of course :icon_thumleft: ) well, then, what the hell do you do? You get the magnifying glass out.

Last edited:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what would be a decent brand of headphones? I know you get what you pay for, but do you really need a 2 to $300 for a set to be able to detect well enough?

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
little help? I'm going to purchase some new headphones soon, any suggestions? Thanks RJ

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
little help? I'm going to purchase some new headphones soon, any suggestions? Thanks RJ
. Probably not what you want to hear, but personally, I like any of the sets that let you hear some outside noise. The ones with foam for the pads. This is a Summer deal, when it's too hot for the fancy ones and when the Snakes are out.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've ordered a set of Killer B's Optimas. Give em a whirl I guess.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've requested gray ghost amphibians for my bday, we will see, *hope hope*

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use Gray Ghost Ultimate, looks like the following. Only pair I've had, so I cannot speak to other models or brands. They work well, have volume control, which is very important. Happy shopping!

grayghost_ultimate1.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
what would be a decent brand of headphones? I know you get what you pay for, but do you really need a 2 to $300 for a set to be able to detect well enough?

Just about any headphones will work with a detector. The frequency response of a detector is so narrow the cheap ones will catch it all. The big difference is in fit comfort. The higher the resistance of the headphones, the lower the volume. Example: 8 OHM units will be roughly twice as loud as 16 OHM units. The audio responce is not linear, that is why I said roughly. I normally do not wear head phones unless it is a noisy area. In that case I wear the Kloss headphones I got from Whites. When I hunt the beach, I have to use the ones that came with my Surfmaster PI. They are water proof.
Frank...- five star.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread