Mding graveyards 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a bad idea and has been discussed many times. It is disrespectful as heck and worse it gives us treasure hunters a bad rep. We are then Ghouls robbing the dead. There is no running around to lose things.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So why are you making another one?

If you don't like the answer, then maybe you should cease asking the question.

Detecting in graveyards is stupid, irresponsible, unethical and illegal in MOST if not ALL places.

We don't need MORE bad publicity.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
If you detect graveyards I hope you get caught, arrested and fined.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no reason to start 3 threads on the same topic in hopes of getting a different answer that suits you.

This topic has been discussed many times in the past and is a very touchy subject. You have gotten many answers already, they are not going to change, majority of us are against it.

Don't start another thread on this topic hoping to find answers you like, your just going to alienate members.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dnt see a prob with MDing along the roads in the places or around the entrance gates, I wouldn't around head stones

Wickedwrx

Dec 29, 2011
Southeast, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stop and ask yourself.......... what would Ric Savage do?

OK bad idea.

Just stay away from them

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why don't you just go find some nice old schoolhouses, farmhouses and parks to detect at. Or a beach. Or old picnic grounds or your county fair grounds. Stay out of the darn graveyard!

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To tell ya the truth I wouldn't even detect around the outside of a grave yard.The problem would be, you know your not doing wrong by detecting the boundries of a grave yard but you will not get most of John Q Public to understand your actions.They will swear up and down to neighbors and friends that you were detecting right at grave sites.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Research till you find a few sites,reasearch,reasearch,then some more. Graveyards no:nono: do your homework and let the dead R.I.P.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't already know why you shouldn't detect a grave yard maybe your in the wrong Hobbies or your real young, I hope it's the latter!!!

maximus92

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2012
Western Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I haven't begun my adventures in MD'ing yet, but I've read a lot. Etiquette, do's and don'ts many common sense. I understand the disrespect MD'ing a graveyard and wouldn't detect where the actual graves are, but my town has a unique graveyard. There are two churches that sit on top of a hill, however during the Civil War only one existed. The graveyard that is there now was either very small or non-existent then. At that time, Union artillery took up position at the graveyard, in the unused portion of it, of course. The church was used as a hospital. Across the river in the bordering state, Confederate artillery set up their position, and, of course, a battle ensued. The church was bombarded as well as the cemetery and the land around it. Fast forward to today's time, the graveyard is bigger, but there is a portion that is still unused. A friend sought and received permission to detect the unused portion of the cemetery. Still disrespectful, despite receiving permission?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was well seperated from the main graveyard I personally would not see a problem, you just want to avoid the appearance of detecting in a grave yard....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hheh,heh,,well put. still not for it. No idea of your friends interest,profit or a souvenir,would be nice if the contestants of that battle could speak. No idea how friend would conduct self or stay in bounds. Not insulting friends credibility or saying keep it to self,its a good question some might run with. Part of my opinion is a relative who knew treasure hunting well but with cemeteries cared for veteran's graves and reclaimed untended cemeteries. Look up. the October project sometime.

Last edited:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal detecting grave yards is just wrong plain and simple and gives us guys and gals that know that a bad name..... end of discussion

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thread on detecting grave yards is too many based on past experiences here with this topic......You could have done a search and got all the answers already....
For future reference please dont start multiple threads on the same topic in multiple forums..... Especially if your doing it just because you just dont like the answers your getting in the first one...

This thread is locked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread