WV

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use to when I was a kid in the Marion county area "Farmington"

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess at that time we did alright sometimes.We did dig our fair share of scrap.This was in the mid 70's and we were using white's coinmaster TR and you had to dig everything in hopes to get a good target.Near the mine yard we did find older mine company tokens,brass Id tags and lots of wheaties and lots of junk.Some silvers would come up every now and then,mostly merk's it would seem.We sure could not have made a living offf our finds at that time for sure but it was good times as a kid for sure.
Good luck to ya & happy hunting...........................................

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live and metal detect in WV. I hit the local schools, parks, and some private land that I have gotten permission to hunt. Since January I have found 14 rings,(9 gold,4 silver, and 1 copper), 9 silver coins, some artifacts, a lot of clad, a couple of knives, a mini mag light that actually worked right out of the ground, and some other misc. finds. I haven't hunted much in the last 6 weeks due to a foot injury, but now getting back to swinging the coil. I have a buddy I work with that also detects regularly, and he has found some civil war relecs, 2 large cents, 2 rings,(1 stainless, and 1 copper.) We both use Garrett AT Pro's, and just love the hobby! What part of WV are you in?

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Southern part outside Charleston, sounds like you have made some neat finds, which part you from

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm here in Huntington, WV mostly do all my metal detecting in Cabel County

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Vienna, close to the Ohio river. I just started detecting in November, and get out every chance I get. With three kids, that sometimes isn't as often as I would like. My kids all have detectors and hunt with me some, but the hot weather has detered them somewhat. It alway amazes me when I find something really cool or old where many people have detected before.

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
I'm hunting in Boone, what kind of detectors are you all using, I ain't found much just a couple pennies and bottle caps

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm using an ace 250, I haven't found much, I've found a few civil war bullets from charleston to Fayetteville and a little silver here or there lol

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
I got a quick draw II, trying to find some stuff just not much luck yet, its hard to find spots anymore that ain't over run with people or a business built on it

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got a quick draw II, trying to find some stuff just not much luck yet, its hard to find spots anymore that ain't over run with people or a business built on it

You're right about that seems like all the places I detect have been hit hard leaving me what they missed lol

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
No doubt, its hard to find any descent places that ain't been bull dozed or raked over by someone

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is a spot on earth, rest assured there is much tectin goin on on it. Even WV, which has tons of good spots already cleaned out.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the good things about MDing in W.Va is that pretty much anywhere you are in the state you'll be for the most near some farmland.Lot's of farming in wv for sure and it would seem that alot of items were lost on these private properties over the many years of uses.Some local research and property owner permission and you could be on a site that has never been searched before and who knows what kind of goodies is waiting to be dug up.

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Yeah those lands a little ways away from me, I'm in the mountains and coal fields so I can hunt some old local mines and stuff but people around here don't like you on their property, I find that out the hard way once

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not that long ago a good friend of mine from back in W.Va was talking about a little local road side park that we use to hang at.This got me thinking about how all kinds of people use to go to these lil parks to chill,party or play in the grass.And you know people lose all kind of things at parks.
Now I'm not real sure of how it was in Boone county but I know that when I was a kid there was these little road side picnic parks all over my area of the state out in the middle of nowhere usually on the "scenic" routes.By time the 80's came around the state stopped taken care of these little picnic parks and now there is hardly any left,but some of the parks land is still there as just open fields or grown over or worse yet,someone built something on it. I can think of several parks from my area that are long gone and the land is still vacant minus some overgrowth and rotted picnic tables.If I was still there I would be checking them out.Lots of people used these state and county road side parks for everything from a sunday K.F.C family picnic to resting in the grass after a long road trip.
Just trying to throw out some suggestion.I hope it'll help ya out.
Good luck & happy hunting................................................

wsswesty

Greenie
Jun 5, 2012
Poca, WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow West Virginians!!!

I've been hunting in Putnam county in some local parks. Nothing too interesting but some clad. I also have a cabin on the Greenbrier River and have been hunting in the woods and river banks.

Maybe we should all get together and do some hunting sometime. Any interest in forming a club???

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Thanks stevo never really thought a out that, I will ask around and try to find some old local parks, there is a couple here in the county but like you said its the ones not seen anymore that you want to hunt, right now we are still trying to recover from that storm but once everything is back up I will research that, thanks

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
wsswesty said:
Hello fellow West Virginians!!!

I've been hunting in Putnam county in some local parks. Nothing too interesting but some clad. I also have a cabin on the Greenbrier River and have been hunting in the woods and river banks.

Maybe we should all get together and do some hunting sometime. Any interest in forming a club???

Hello wsswesty, sounds your like your hunting is going better than mine, I also have a camp at greenbrier county that I took the detector to but did not get to detect much last time I was there, how long you been detecting and stuff, I just started

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread