Help Help new coil for ace 250

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i posted this in another forum but i have not had much response so i thought i would try it here,
[h=2]HELP???? looking to get another coil for my ace 250[/h]
at the moment i only have a few old homesites and some wooded areas to hunt in, at least thats where i have been hunting, couple areas are very trashy and some not, trying to determine if i should get a bigger coil or the sniper coil, would love to get some feedback from anyone who has upgraded good bad or indiffrent, if you have upgraded please let me know if it is better or worse than the stock coil, which model bigger or smaller would be helpful info as well, i need feed back to help me decide thanks for any and all help
outlaw75​

Upvote 0

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had both a 10x14 excellerator dd coil and the sniper coil for my 250. Used them both at cellar hole sites and an old park. The 10x14 dd turned the 250 into a new machine for me. It went a couple inches deeper and separated targets better. DD's are known to be better at separating targets. The deepest target I found with the 10x14 was a merc dime at 8 inches. It was a really weak, crappy signal, but it did see it. It was also more stable than the stock coil. The sniper coil sucked for me. It was really depth limited. Others will say they have gotten good depth with their sniper coil, but I never did. The sniper coil is sensitive to very small targets which is not really a bad thing. But, it will hit on stuff like bb's and tiny bits of can slaw.

-Swartzie

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look into a dd coil that come with the ace 350's i use the stock dd coil more then any i own

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've also been looking into this as it seems that none of my coins I'm finding are deeper than 4 or 5 inches. Does it pick up a lot more trash on the 10x14?

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the 9.5x11 dd coil for my 250 and it works great good depth good target separation turns it into a new machine

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well my other option was to just upgrade to a better machine, but I've only had this 250 for a few months, so didn't really want to do that. Just unhappy with the depth. So I think I will probably pick up a new coil for it soon.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most coins are only about the depth that you are finding them 4 to 5 inches but a better coil will help find the deeper coins it all depends on soil and conditions

OP
OP
JOE-DIRTDIGGER

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the responses and info,

Aquinomas

Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 Search Coil Upgrade.

Im new to Md'ing and i Purchased a Ace 250, so far I've searched 5 Different Public Parks about 1hr each and two of them i know are Pretty Old, and Still No Silver just Pennies, Dimes and Quarters. Funny thing is All My Finds Date from 1975-1984, its Weird how their all around the same age and all are found around 4"-5" deep. That leads me to wonder are all the Older Coins Much Deeper? And thats the Reason I bought a 13" Ultimate DD Coil made by Detech, it should be here 11/8/2012 . And hopefully ill get some extra depth. My deepest find was a SOLID hit with a 1974 Dime at 7"-8" or so, but i haven't had any solid hits on anything deeper so far. With my standard 6.5x9" coil, As soon as i get the 13" DD and try it out ill let you guys know how it does. And my deepest finds.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
how did the 13 inch coil work for you

I saw on your post that you purchased a 13 in ultimate coil. I was curious as to how it ended up working. I just purchased a NEL storm and was curious if I will also need to look at getting a small coil for parks and things or with it being a DD if you were still getting good separation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread