Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Ring return - Need opinions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2012
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have to agree with the people that are in the "finders, keepers" frame of mind. If the lost ring meant that much to the person to begin with, they would have taken all steps to try and find it since they know where they lost it. If there is something that can identify the owner (like the class ring possible), that might be a different story.
    Keppy likes this.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    If I had direct contact with the unfortunate person who lost an item I would gladly return it. I would however, never return it to a park ranger or police station. You can only get in trouble if you announce to everyone what you found and where you found it.
    Sandman likes this.
    Why do they call it "Taking a dump" when you're actually leaving one?

us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    387 times
    I agree with Paul finders keepers. Someone loses something like that they sould keep it in a better spot not to lose it.

us
    Jan 2010
    Knoxvegas, TN
    Whites DFX, Fisher F2
    22 times
    I bought a detector to find the things people lost.
    I didn't buy one to find things just to turn in to the police.
    Class rings which are easy to track down owners may be returned if I get the chance to do so.
    If someone on the beach happens to say "I lost my ring, can you help me?", then I'll help. Other than that really, I found a nice ring for melt or sale.
    It's admirable that you would like to help, but rangers and cops have thieves amongst themselves and will take advantage of a free diamond ring.
    If they call you back and demand it, "oops a, funny thing, I lost it on the beach somewhere between 2nd and 32nd street. Sorry."
    "Maybe another detector user will find it and get it to you"
    Sandman and Keppy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2219 times
    I have returned many rings, chains, or car keys to the person that lost them and felt good about it. Usually they contact me as the managers and lifeguards have my business cards. If I am there at the beach when approached I will look for free. If they call me I usually charge a small fee because I have been called on wild goose chases when nothing was really lost in the first place. If they pay the fee, I return it. It is not my job to look for everyones lost items.
    kiana7 likes this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1303 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I post all my decent finds on CL to try and find the rightfull owner. I keep the ad very vague and don't post a photo or value of any kind. I haven't been contacted by the police yet but if I do, I'll give them some junk ring I have laying around and tell them that's what I found. I have serious doubts that they will want to waste valuable police time giving us a hard time when we're spending our time trying to find the owner ourselves. All it will accomplish is that nobody will list finds at all and the loser is totally out of luck getting their property back.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    144 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Well I don't live in a beach to have the same experience of finding lots of lost items. One thing is for sure, if I found something, and someone else called me and told me it was theirs and they lost it, I would ask for some proof of previous possesion, I would ask a description, a picture of the item that would somehow make it recognizable. I mean it is easy to say " I lost a ring" and to the answer on how was it " round" is not good enough to me. Anyhow I haven't found that many jewels so far to have that type of problem. And if someone asked me to go find a lost item in their proprety I would at least charge the gas to get there, I am a detectorist and I do this for a hobby I am not a humanitarian fundation that has a metal detector and have time to spare to make favors to others. Might sound rude but it's the truth, no one does anything for free now days.

us
    Sep 2010
    Somewhere Beautiful......
    A plethora of gadgets...
    2 times
    I find wedding rings pretty often. There are tons of them lost. What I do is hold them for 1 month and check for adds for missing jewels in the local paper and craigslist. That is all. Never, ever would I ask a life guard or a cop. Taking to much of a risk for the item to be stolen. Just chill out, watch adds or even place one and if no answer, go ahead and reap the benefits of your hard work. Cheers.

us
    Apr 2012
    Riverside,California
    MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
    640 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Very ,very informative,thank you

Jul 2012
    I think you need to drive back out there and return it to the ranger station asap. On the way there you should stop by a local dept. store and purchase a costume ring that looks similar to the ring in question. When you leave it with the ranger( the costume look a like) attach a note with your name and phone number and a short paragraph stating you frequently find rings and maybe even have a couple more rings at home that are similar to the ring in question. That way you can say you really did try to find the owner and if they don't call you can keep it with a clean conscious. In this economy there is entirely too much temptation for honest people to help themselves rather than do the right thing...I certainly wouldn't trust a random park ranger to do the right thing when there is nobody to hold them accountable... sad but true.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1927 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    mark, you say:

" I have serious doubts that they will want to waste valuable police time giving us a hard time when we're spending our time trying to find the owner ourselves "

You're right, it seems a far stretch to think police would waste their time with lost & found laws like this, trying to see if a CL person is violating value-threshold laws. But one time I found a pair of prescription glasses on a touristy beach-town beach. I was about to pitch them, when I figured "heck, some poor fellow would probably like to get these back, and they look freshly lost". I was contacted by the police of this small beach-side resort town, when they saw my found ad. In my ad, I'd put "found with a metal detector". The police answered the ad, because apparently someone had come in to the dept. the day before, and made a report of lost glasses on that very beach! (so in case someone turned them in to the police). As it turns out, my glasses did not match the description of the ones the police were keeping a watch for.

But what followed next, in the email exchange with the police, sort of "put me on edge": They warned me that in the future, to please take anything of value I find with my metal detector, to the police station. And if the station is closed (d/t it's a smalltown with limited office hours), that "there's a night-slot box to drop it in". And they alluded that I need to be doing this, to "... be in compliance with the law". It was at that point that I started looking at what the heck they were talking about, as to some supposed "law" that required me to take anything I find to them. Doh!

So yes, it would be very rare that any cop would think to chase down CL people who post "found" items. But as you can see from my little exchange, ....... hmmm..... anything's possible. But yeah, I think they have more important things to do normally. Mine was probably an exception, because they just happened to helping someone out, by seeing if something had shown up on CL.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Jul 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Keppy likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1303 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Tom, I believe you, it just seems a bit bizarre to me.....and counterproductive.....since now you will just keep quiet on anything you find. You'll keep what you want and pitch the rest. Ridiculous, since you're obviously doing the right thing by trying to find the rightful owner. I would bet most departments wouldn't spend as much time as you did either. Around here you have a hard enough time to get them to respond to a burglary. They won't even show up to a auto accident anymore unless someone is dying and they want to hassle an honest citizen? Incredible......

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1927 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Yeah you're right Mark. That would be the exception. This was a high-end ritzy tourist town, with a well-staffed police dept, that does nothing but cater to the jet-set golfer crowd who lives here (mostly vacation homes at the beach-side enclave). And they weren't even necessarily trolling to find "violaters" in my case either. It was just a coincidence, and apparently when lady cop saw the term " ... metal detector ..." the wheels in her head must've started turning.

The email back to me was along this lines:

"You might also find other valuables on the beach with your metal detector. Therefore in the future, we would appreciate it if you would stop at the dept, on your way out of town, and drop them in the night slot, so as to be in compliance with the law. Because our dept. receives lost jewelry reports from time to time".

At first I thought "what the heck is she talking about ... "... to be in compliance with the law ..." Until I started sleuthing CA lost & found laws, and saw what she is talking about. Oooops. Then it only made me wonder "gee, if this is against the laws for persons to make their own attempts to re-unite things over a certain value [that they are to be turned over the police, not your own methods], then ........ what's to stop a district attorney from merely trolling craigslist, see what items appear to be over XX value, and presto, start prosecuting people?".

I mean, heck, you can look at ANY craigslist, in ANY city in the USA, and always see items there for the "found" section. Ie.: found mountain bike, or found ring, or found ......... .whatever. Right? But no, your right, it's probably more akin to a "blue law", that's simply meant for actual usage/implementation when in cases of a Brinks armored car door opening up on the freeway, or your neighbors cow wanders into your yard, etc...
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    1303 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Sounds like you're talking about Carmel or Pebble Beach! Some of those PD's have nothing better to do than cater to the looney whims of the mega-rich snobs. Next time, find a stray dog and tie it to their door knob and ring the bell! Have you seen the rewards offered for lost dogs on CL? I bet they change their tune if they start getting 'valuable" items like that from people.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Vaquero
    1067 times
    Thanks again everyone. I thought that I would let you know my decision - which was not to turn in the ring. I hadn't given the park my name, but I did tell them the find was posted on CL. In the end I decided that if the park worker really wanted to get the ring back to its owner that they should have at least called the person and told them to check CL. They obviously didn't do that because I never received a response from anyone claiming to have lost their ring. So I'm hanging onto it. It's not about the monetary value, these thin little bands aren't worth much in gold, and the tiny diamonds are close to worthless but I think I'm more likely to locate the owner than the park.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links