Advice Needed

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Jeff, please move this question to wherever is the most suitable, I wasn't sure so I'm posting it here.
An aquaintence of a friend lost a very old, very large and very valuable diamind ring on one of our local golf courses. There are not a lot of detectorists in Ireland, but they thought of me and would like me to look for it, with the permission of the golf course management. The owner is not sure exactly were she lost the ring, but it was probably around the tees when she removed her golf glove. She isn't sure of the hole but noticed iot was missing on No. 12.
Any advice on how to conduct this search from some of the members here? Should I start on the 1st tee and just grid it out? That's a huge area to cover, but I would love to find it and return it to her, it's a family heirloom.

Cheers,

DJ

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
How about you go at night...and shine a flashlight across the grass...you will definitly pick up any shiny glimmer....The lawns are kept short and probally will be easy to find ....

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I would rent a cart and take her with you. I would start at hole one and try to have her remember what happened on each hole (ie position of ball after each shot), and try to hit those areas. If she remembers a specific place she was in and played with/looked at/happened to notice her ring for one reason or another skip to that area and work towards 12.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these ideas are good. I would also suggest you sit her down and talk her thru everything she did that day. I've been hired to find rings that they had taken off and either placed in the car, purse or left it home. Around here if there are geese they will gobble up shiny things and so will crows and ravens. Walk the course with her and leave the detector in the golf cart till you come to a tee area. Check around any benches there too. Good Luck.

Sandman

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Another place you might look, if it's not too late, is the bottom of the cups. Reaching in to retrieve the ball might have caused it to slide off.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sometimes is just plain being lucky! ::)

I was approached to look for a gold ring a lady had received as a gift. The ring was bought in Saudi Arabia and was given to the lady as a gift. It was lost in the back yard in the vicinity of the volleyball net that was set-up. I just happened to start detectin in the right spot and within 5 minutes had found it! :o I could have searched for hours and never found it! :o

As a reward, I was given a 5th. of Wild Turkey. :o That was in the day when I use to drink it straight ::)

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Hi there... I am an avid golfer who has lost things or looked for things on a golf course before.

If you go in blind, Im almost certain you would never find it. Take the lady with you, and like
others said... have her narrate the holes she played. Golfers remember their shots, Im guessing
she could tell you just about every swing and approximately from where. Still going to be quite
the task, but possible with her help and info.

Just imagine what it would take to completely grid search even one hole. I doubt anyone could even
do that, unless they had a year of their life to dedicate LOL.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rent a road grader, bulldozer and backhoe, scoop up ALL the grass and remove it to a location where you can dump it and sift it thoroughly through graduating wire-mesh screens using tons and tons of water. When all the grass/dirt/stones have been removed, you should be able to locate the ring immediately. ;D

S

stefen

Wouldn't hurt to check the lawnmower clippings with a MD.

Tees and greens are mowed almost daily and fairways less often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions