Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Swing slow and keep your coil as close to the ground service as you can. This is something that you should not rush at.

OP
OP
BOOTY SEEKERS IA

BOOTY SEEKERS IA

Jun 18, 2012
CENTRAL IOWA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE250
GARRETT GTI 2500
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would you say about about 2 seconds to go from left to right is a good rate?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
BOOTY SEEKERS IA said:
Would you say about about 2 seconds to go from left to right is a good rate?

That sounds about right. Sometimes I go slower then that. You may get a faint beep and then
really go slow to see what kind of reading you get.

OP
OP
BOOTY SEEKERS IA

BOOTY SEEKERS IA

Jun 18, 2012
CENTRAL IOWA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE250
GARRETT GTI 2500
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will that help get a more accurate reading? I mean sometimes an object starts out on the grid like a penny, then after i cut out the plug it comes up moke like a pull tab or foil.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
BOOTY SEEKERS IA said:
Will that help get a more accurate reading? I mean sometimes an object starts out on the grid like a penny, then after i cut out the plug it comes up moke like a pull tab or foil.

Well it will help but you can never know till you dig.

OP
OP
BOOTY SEEKERS IA

BOOTY SEEKERS IA

Jun 18, 2012
CENTRAL IOWA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE250
GARRETT GTI 2500
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well thank you for all your help. I will try to slow down.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Booty! First, what are you swinging? Swing speed is different with certain brands and coils. I can swing my Lobo a lot faster than my GPX 5000. For the most part, it is really important to keep the coil as low and flat to the ground as possible. The MOST important thing is to walk slow enough to make sure you are OVERLAPPING each FOWARD movement with your coil, and not leaving unscanned strips between your left to right swings. When you hear a target, THEN slow your swing speed and pinpoint it.

OP
OP
BOOTY SEEKERS IA

BOOTY SEEKERS IA

Jun 18, 2012
CENTRAL IOWA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE250
GARRETT GTI 2500
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using a garrett 250ace and a garrett gti2500 with stock coils. The way i have been doing it is being very carefull to overlap. I feel like i swing a little too fast so that why i post this question. Once i hear a beep i do try to take different stances and angles but im sure i dont slow down that much.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing slow for surface targets and faster for deep targets. Three feet per second is fairly fast but that is what is recommended for the AT machines. They have a faster recovery speed so you probably want to go a bit slower than that.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
signal_line said:
Swing slow for surface targets and faster for deep targets. Three feet per second is fairly fast but that is what is recommended for the AT machines. They have a faster recovery speed so you probably want to go a bit slower than that.

Man your machine sure is different then mine. I do the opposite.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to do with the fast recovery speed of the AT series. I realize it doesn't seem right. Can't even find where I saw this.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig repeatable deep targets with ID machines. The tesoros are not as deep and I sweep fast. The Minelabs by comparison is slower than dirt, but deep. You might try to repeat the same pattern over an area you just detected at half speed to see if you missed much. Although, I don't feel I am done with an area that is still producing, until I have detected it with different detectors and coils at different angles and times. Point being, I will probably miss something, so going slower may have me giving up on a spot sooner and in fact not waste time. I would keep experimenting as it is not always easy to apply what works for someone else. Good luck!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big sign of lack of experience is the oft used statement "swing low and slow". Filtering affects the correct speed needed so four filter detectors like a lot of older Whites needed a faster than average sweep speed for best depth and I.D. Other types like Minelabs FBS and BBS models a much slower than average sweep.
Even "low" is often not the best choice depending on the amount of mineralisation in the soil.

People always try to make up rules to follow but with detecting its not just possible.

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does seem to have a lot to do with the brand (or even model) of detector, coil, ground mineralization, etc. For my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV it likes a fast speed to detect objects deeper in the ground.

One of the best ways to learn the correct speed you need is to go with a experienced MD buddy. Have them locate some targets at various depths and check the targets with your MD before they are dug. Try swinging your MD slow and fast over the targets, this will tell you what speed you need.

If you don't have someone to go with MDing, then try air tests on your MD by swinging the targets at various speeds in front of the coil. Or locate targets yourself then simply try varying the swinging speed to see which works.

GH & HH

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
U.K. Brian said:
Big sign of lack of experience is the oft used statement "swing low and slow". Filtering affects the correct speed needed so four filter detectors like a lot of older Whites needed a faster than average sweep speed for best depth and I.D. Other types like Minelabs FBS and BBS models a much slower than average sweep.
Even "low" is often not the best choice depending on the amount of mineralisation in the soil.

People always try to make up rules to follow but with detecting its not just possible.

I am not a expert like you, but with the whites v3i and the adjustments I use I swing slow and low as you put it.

In most cases this is the best choice. I would hunt right behind you any day. LOL

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing speed kinda depends on what detector you have. Just keep swinging & eventually you'll be able to tell by your results!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
I kinda like to swing low and slow too. Even when I am not tectin, like at work for example. :laughing7:

Lmao....u goofball gleaner ;)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticm....unfortunately you would find very little because you say you have had the DFX and the V3 both of which if you studied the handbooks you would find have a big advantage over more conventional detectors. Many detectors have fixed "best" speeds dictated by the circuitry. Whites on the other hand has provided you with adjustable sweep speeds that interact with recovery speed and filtering. If your not going to use the "edge" that Whites have provided you may as well buy a cheaper non adjustable machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread