Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What am I doing wrong ?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Denny

    Jun 2012
    Elizabeth, Pennsylvania
    Ace 250
    8
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    What am I doing wrong ?

    I recieved an Ace 250 last christmas as a retirement gift. I have been out coin detecting approx. three times a week, every week, since the weather broke. ( march). For some reason, all I find is clad. I have yet to find a silver coin. My total finds are, approx. 50 lincoln pennies, 10 clad quarters, 7 clad dimes, and 40 million tabs, cans, caps and other garbage. Am I looking in all the wrong places? Or am I doing something wrong? Im located in s.w. Penna. There is a lot of history in this area, but I cant seem to find any of it ! H E L P !

  2. #2
    us
    Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
    6,472
    1192 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It took Me a year and a Half to Find My First Silver Coin Here In The Great Northwest AKA Vancouver Wa A merc dime I found Many Silver rings and Earings Before that Location and Research has a lot to do With Luck!!!! from the Posts That I Have Read Chug
    We live to detect, we detect to live!

    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

  3. #3
    us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    1,017
    386 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dnt feel bad I'm out every chance I can get with my ace 250 got it in January still no silver either. Ive been hunting alot of old play grounds and schools but I think they've been hit hard too.

    I only run my 250 in coin mode cuz I get sick of digging tabs. So no jewelry either

  4. #4

    Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    991
    363 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    i dug 21 silver in the 1st month of getting my ace 350....its all about location even a blind monkey could find silver if there in the right place
    Im not crazy......my mother had me tested

  5. #5

    Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    1,600
    116 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Perhaps you are going toi much by what the meter tells you. Most of the Garretts are not the slightest use to me because the good stuff is deep and they lean towards indicating that the deep targets are ferrous even when they are not. Try digging more iffy, even "bad" targets.

  6. #6
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

    May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    5,834
    3121 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by just7699 View Post
    I recieved an Ace 250 last christmas as a retirement gift. I have been out coin detecting approx. three times a week, every week, since the weather broke. ( march). For some reason, all I find is clad. I have yet to find a silver coin. My total finds are, approx. 50 lincoln pennies, 10 clad quarters, 7 clad dimes, and 40 million tabs, cans, caps and other garbage. Am I looking in all the wrong places? Or am I doing something wrong? Im located in s.w. Penna. There is a lot of history in this area, but I cant seem to find any of it ! H E L P !
    Welcome from White Plains, New York! One of the important factors is location - where are you hunting? If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950). You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your Garrett.

    A Few Land Sites to Get You Started:

    1) Old Schools
    2) City/Town Parks
    3) Circus/Fair Sites
    4) Old Churches
    5) Old Homestead Sites
    6) Swimming Holes and Areas
    7) Picnic Groves
    8) Athletic Fields
    9) Scout Camps
    10) Rodeo Arenas
    11) Campgrounds
    12) Ghost Towns
    13) Beaches
    14) Old Taverns
    15) Roadside Rest Stops
    16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
    17) Amusement Parks
    18) Rural Mailboxes
    19) Reunion Areas
    20) Revival sites
    21) Fort Sites
    22) Winter Sledding Areas
    23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
    24) Church Supper Groves
    25) Fishing Spots
    26) Fishing Camps
    27) Resorts
    28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
    29) Battle Sites
    30) Band Shells
    31) Racetracks
    32) Rural Boundary Walls
    33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
    34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
    35) Flea Market Areas
    36) Ski Slopes
    37) Drive Ins
    38) Canal Paths
    39) Vacant Lots
    40) Motels
    41) College Campuses
    42) Farmer Market Areas
    43) Town Squares
    44) Urban Yards and Backyards
    45) Disaster Sites
    46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
    47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
    48) Mining Camps
    49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
    50) Hiking Trails
    51) Waterfalls
    52) Rural Dance Sites
    53) Lover's Lanes
    54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
    55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
    56) Fence Posts
    57) Chicken Houses
    58) Bridges and Fords
    59) Flower Beds
    60) Playgrounds
    61) Old Garbage Dumps
    62) Cloth Lines
    63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
    64) Wells and Outhouses
    65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
    66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
    67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
    68) Old Stone Quarries
    69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
    70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    WP

    May 2012
    4,366
    2774 times
    Good stuff folks. Just 7699,what your doing right is learning your detector and often! Reasearch into sites will help . Don,t pressure your self,when older coins start to show you,ll be closer to silver. But then those areas your cleaning junk out of,a silver could turn up from where it was masked before. I dug oldest coinwhere unexpected,poor indian but a nice surprise. Keep it fun, check them rough edges if your hunting pressured areas. Silver will come. H.H.

  8. #8
    us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    299
    65 times
    Metal Detecting
    You have old US Highway 22 running right through your area. Try looking for some of the older roadside rests. During the WPA days, fruit trees were planted along the old US highways and lots of workers sat around eating lunch. In those old roadside rests in Ohio, I have found silver coins aplenty.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill

  9. #9
    us
    what hath god wrought

    Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    4,004
    647 times
    tectin crap
    Terry I am going to carefully write out your list on parchment paper using an old feather pen using my own blood as ink and I am going to tape it to my fridge.
    Mac232 likes this.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

  10. #10
    us
    chuck

    Feb 2007
    spacecoast florida
    fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300
    1,583
    262 times
    beach detecting, treasure hunting, shipwrecks.
    walk up to the door of a few old farmhouses and ask for permission. dig nice plugs and dont tear up the grass. old home foundations in the woods are great spots.
    you dont know what you dont know, and you dont know what you dont dig!!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

    Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    11,795
    1931 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Terry you are giving away all our secrets to those that haven't bought all the books we had to research. Amazon.com: Treasure Hunter's Manual #7 (9780915920099): Karl Von Mueller: Books
    Treasures will mean more to them that earn the knowledge.
    QuarterMaster likes this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

  12. #12

    Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    991
    363 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by U.K. Brian View Post
    Perhaps you are going toi much by what the meter tells you. Most of the Garretts are not the slightest use to me because the good stuff is deep and they lean towards indicating that the deep targets are ferrous even when they are not. Try digging more iffy, even "bad" targets.
    Ahhh where do i start.....theres nothing wrong with the depth on the ace products they can compare to much higher expensive machine...ive dug dimes at 9 and a half inches that locked onto the dime signal like it was nothing but a dime....but ofcourse it was a 66 clad dime that got that deep from dragging the field over the years ....out of the 24 silver ive dug the last 2 months not 1....not 1 has been past 4-5 inches...i dug a 1916 buffalo at less then an inch i just thought it was clad and popped it out with the lesche to my suprise it was an old coin...an old coin that never made it past 1 inch ....so i have to call your assessment of the garretts flawed at best
    Im not crazy......my mother had me tested

  13. #13
    us
    Garrett watersports!

    Apr 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
    1,295
    173 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Welcome from White Plains, New York! One of the important factors is location - where are you hunting? If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950). You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your Garrett.

    A Few Land Sites to Get You Started:

    1) Old Schools
    2) City/Town Parks
    3) Circus/Fair Sites
    4) Old Churches
    5) Old Homestead Sites
    6) Swimming Holes and Areas
    7) Picnic Groves
    8) Athletic Fields
    9) Scout Camps
    10) Rodeo Arenas
    11) Campgrounds
    12) Ghost Towns
    13) Beaches
    14) Old Taverns
    15) Roadside Rest Stops
    16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
    17) Amusement Parks
    18) Rural Mailboxes
    19) Reunion Areas
    20) Revival sites
    21) Fort Sites
    22) Winter Sledding Areas
    23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
    24) Church Supper Groves
    25) Fishing Spots
    26) Fishing Camps
    27) Resorts
    28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
    29) Battle Sites
    30) Band Shells
    31) Racetracks
    32) Rural Boundary Walls
    33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
    34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
    35) Flea Market Areas
    36) Ski Slopes
    37) Drive Ins
    38) Canal Paths
    39) Vacant Lots
    40) Motels
    41) College Campuses
    42) Farmer Market Areas
    43) Town Squares
    44) Urban Yards and Backyards
    45) Disaster Sites
    46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
    47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
    48) Mining Camps
    49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
    50) Hiking Trails
    51) Waterfalls
    52) Rural Dance Sites
    53) Lover's Lanes
    54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
    55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
    56) Fence Posts
    57) Chicken Houses
    58) Bridges and Fords
    59) Flower Beds
    60) Playgrounds
    61) Old Garbage Dumps
    62) Cloth Lines
    63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
    64) Wells and Outhouses
    65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
    66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
    67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
    68) Old Stone Quarries
    69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
    70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)
    Is that it?...Just kidding Great list you put together ..Thanks!
    Mac232 likes this.
    Just remember...what you miss today...I will find tomorrow!

  14. #14

    Aug 2011
    470
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    One place everyone forgets to mention is on the corner of busy intersections & streets.....if ya know what I'm sayin...lol

  15. #15
    us
    Jun 2012
    282
    25 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't think your problem has anything to do with older coins being too deep to detect.Most older coins will be detectable with your machine.The ace 250 has a good rep amoungst the detecting community and there is no doubt that it can seek out them old silvers.
    Two things that come to mind about your problem,as most here has already said,location,location,location.If it's not there then your not going to find it.
    Second,When you first start out with a new maching you should dig all or at least most targets just to see how your machine reacts to certain metals.If you don't know your machine well,know what the tones mean when it's responding to a target then it's going to be all guess work to say the least.
    As you may know there is some guess work involved in MDing but limiting the guess work is key to making some good finds.
    Also remember that you must get that coil over a target to detect it.If your not over lapping your swings then your missing stuff for sure.
    It's just going to take some site researching,time and practice and if you stick with it you'll start scoring them older coins for sure.
    You got some great suggestion up above for sites to hit.Try em out.Keep the coil low,swing level & slow and in time the old coins will show..........
    Good luck with it............................................

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Is it wrong??
    By miller433 in forum Minelab
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 06, 2010, 09:32 PM
  2. Am I doing something wrong?
    By mustang8780 in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Aug 18, 2010, 07:19 AM
  3. Am I doing it wrong
    By frankenstein in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug 04, 2010, 11:07 AM
  4. Wrong number-wrong or nice
    By quaidmon in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 16, 2008, 12:22 AM
  5. What went wrong here?
    By Sara77 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jun 22, 2007, 08:08 AM

Search tags for this page

ace 250 coin shooting tips

,
ace 250 how deep will it find silver coins
,
coinshooting tips ace 250
,
dear ace 250 recovery time
,
digging silver coins in grassy strips
,
gearhart metal detector places in oregon
,
hardcore+pawn staged
,

just7699

,
metal detecting city sidewalk finds adrian,mi
,

quaidmon

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3