just7699

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2012
Elizabeth, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recieved an Ace 250 last christmas as a retirement gift. I have been out coin detecting approx. three times a week, every week, since the weather broke. ( march). For some reason, all I find is clad. I have yet to find a silver coin. My total finds are, approx. 50 lincoln pennies, 10 clad quarters, 7 clad dimes, and 40 million tabs, cans, caps and other garbage. Am I looking in all the wrong places? Or am I doing something wrong? Im located in s.w. Penna. There is a lot of history in this area, but I cant seem to find any of it ! H E L P !

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It took Me a year and a Half to Find My First Silver Coin Here In The Great Northwest AKA Vancouver Wa A merc dime I found Many Silver rings and Earings Before that Location and Research has a lot to do With Luck!!!! from the Posts That I Have Read Chug

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dnt feel bad I'm out every chance I can get with my ace 250 got it in January still no silver either. Ive been hunting alot of old play grounds and schools but I think they've been hit hard too.

I only run my 250 in coin mode cuz I get sick of digging tabs. So no jewelry either

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dug 21 silver in the 1st month of getting my ace 350....its all about location even a blind monkey could find silver if there in the right place

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps you are going toi much by what the meter tells you. Most of the Garretts are not the slightest use to me because the good stuff is deep and they lean towards indicating that the deep targets are ferrous even when they are not. Try digging more iffy, even "bad" targets.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recieved an Ace 250 last christmas as a retirement gift. I have been out coin detecting approx. three times a week, every week, since the weather broke. ( march). For some reason, all I find is clad. I have yet to find a silver coin. My total finds are, approx. 50 lincoln pennies, 10 clad quarters, 7 clad dimes, and 40 million tabs, cans, caps and other garbage. Am I looking in all the wrong places? Or am I doing something wrong? Im located in s.w. Penna. There is a lot of history in this area, but I cant seem to find any of it ! H E L P !

Welcome from White Plains, New York! One of the important factors is location - where are you hunting? If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950). You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your Garrett.

[h=3]A Few Land Sites to Get You Started:[/h]1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good stuff folks. Just 7699,what your doing right is learning your detector and often! Reasearch into sites will help . Don,t pressure your self,when older coins start to show you,ll be closer to silver. But then those areas your cleaning junk out of,a silver could turn up from where it was masked before. I dug oldest coinwhere unexpected,poor indian but a nice surprise. Keep it fun, check them rough edges if your hunting pressured areas. Silver will come. H.H.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have old US Highway 22 running right through your area. Try looking for some of the older roadside rests. During the WPA days, fruit trees were planted along the old US highways and lots of workers sat around eating lunch. In those old roadside rests in Ohio, I have found silver coins aplenty.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry I am going to carefully write out your list on parchment paper using an old feather pen using my own blood as ink and I am going to tape it to my fridge.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
walk up to the door of a few old farmhouses and ask for permission. dig nice plugs and dont tear up the grass. old home foundations in the woods are great spots.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps you are going toi much by what the meter tells you. Most of the Garretts are not the slightest use to me because the good stuff is deep and they lean towards indicating that the deep targets are ferrous even when they are not. Try digging more iffy, even "bad" targets.
Ahhh where do i start.....theres nothing wrong with the depth on the ace products they can compare to much higher expensive machine...ive dug dimes at 9 and a half inches that locked onto the dime signal like it was nothing but a dime....but ofcourse it was a 66 clad dime that got that deep from dragging the field over the years ....out of the 24 silver ive dug the last 2 months not 1....not 1 has been past 4-5 inches...i dug a 1916 buffalo at less then an inch i just thought it was clad and popped it out with the lesche to my suprise it was an old coin...an old coin that never made it past 1 inch ....so i have to call your assessment of the garretts flawed at best

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! One of the important factors is location - where are you hunting? If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950). You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your Garrett.

A Few Land Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

Is that it?...Just kidding Great list you put together ..Thanks!

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One place everyone forgets to mention is on the corner of busy intersections & streets.....if ya know what I'm sayin...lol

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think your problem has anything to do with older coins being too deep to detect.Most older coins will be detectable with your machine.The ace 250 has a good rep amoungst the detecting community and there is no doubt that it can seek out them old silvers.
Two things that come to mind about your problem,as most here has already said,location,location,location.If it's not there then your not going to find it.
Second,When you first start out with a new maching you should dig all or at least most targets just to see how your machine reacts to certain metals.If you don't know your machine well,know what the tones mean when it's responding to a target then it's going to be all guess work to say the least.
As you may know there is some guess work involved in MDing but limiting the guess work is key to making some good finds.
Also remember that you must get that coil over a target to detect it.If your not over lapping your swings then your missing stuff for sure.
It's just going to take some site researching,time and practice and if you stick with it you'll start scoring them older coins for sure.
You got some great suggestion up above for sites to hit.Try em out.Keep the coil low,swing level & slow and in time the old coins will show..........
Good luck with it............................................

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is location i'm in newport pa and up here is an old rotting house and i found 35 cents all silver, so try an old school or park. Because it ain't your machine, if u r finding coins a silver will eventually pop up

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gun I'm about 25 mins away from Newport area PM could meet up I worked down that area in some jobs found some good places I Havnt gotten to down there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions