My friend found his lost ring

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a call Friday night.My friend Scotty just finished playing two soft ball games that evening.After the game and on the way to a local watering hole he noticed that his white gold wedding ring was not on his finger.Well he pulled over and gave his glove and himself the once over,but with no luck so he headed back to the field.By the time he got there the lights were off and the field was closed and not a soul in site.He did pull his car as close as he could and searched for about an hour by headlights,but again no dice.
This is when I got the call,I'm the only person that he knew that had a metal detector so he thought he would see if I could give it a try to find it.I told him I have the XLT an another good machine (M6) that would be pretty easy for you to use after I get it set up.He had a pretty good idea of where he might have lost it,either in the infield around third base or around the pitchers mound or around the dug out area but with the field dirt being so sandy he fears that it got covered over quickly.
He came by Saturday morning around 8am to pick me up.I gave him a quick crash course on using the M6,since we where looking for a near surface big ol ring I was thinking that if it was there and one of us put our coil over it then there would be no question that it was the ring.
We got to the field around 8:30ish,as we were rolling in we noticed a grounds guy rolling a 4 wheeler off a trailor and hooking up a weighted chain link fence to the real in prep to drag the field.Well my bud hot footed it over to him and asked if he could hold off for a bit on dragging the field and explained to him what we were doing here.He agreed and even came out and helped up out hoping for an eye spy,nothing yet.After about 15 minutes the grounds guy had to stop helping us and wished us luck and off to dragging the field he went.Well we both did cover the areas fast but we feel that we covered it for the most but no luck yet.
We both went over to the dug out area and started to search,Unlike the field there was lots of trash in that area but as I told him don't mind all the little short beeps and grunts,were looking for a nice solid repeating tone and then kick the sand around a little.I just started searching under a picnic table when I heard a loud I FOUND IT!. I whipped my head around and there he was holding it up in the air and doing a lil dance,can't blame him for dancing,hell I think I did a lil dance too.I was so happy for him and he was like 10 time more then I for sure.He found it right in front of the dug out under about a quarter inch of loose sand.He said he heard a couple of solid,repeating signals but after checking it was crap,but this last tone was different then the others and he was wishing that was the big pay off,and it was.All I can say now is,A outstanding job to my friend Scotty......
Now this guy has never even touched a metal detector in his life and with 5 minutes training and 30 minutes hunting time he went out and found himself a gold ring.I told him,Ya know in the time I been detecting I still have not found a gold ring.In a half hours time he went out with a good machine and found his own ring.How cool is that? :thumbsup:
I asked him on the ride back home if he was interested in going detecting with me one day,he said he would like to,but even not knowing much about detecting he knows that hunting for coins and such would not always be that easy.I said,you'll never know unless ya try it,plus I'll let you use the M6 which it would seem that you two are already buds.
Now that's what I call a great news story for sure.
Thanks for checking out my story. Good luck to ya'll and happy hunting...........................

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread