Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
fordam3 said:
Hello all! I am a new metal detector enthusiast, and eager to jump into the action. I am currently in Southern Ohio and am curious as to where I should be aiming to dig. Any tips for newbies? I am using a Bounty Hunter IV, by the way. My finds are only wheat pennies thus far (among the chump change).

Sounds like you already got started. Just have fun doing it.

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and welcome ford, a suggestion for u, check local library n closest court house for the history of ur area. try to obtain the oldest map possible that indicates old saloons, hotels n places that alot of folks would gather... happy huntg.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard fordam3.
If your looking for the older coins as most of us do, you'll find that a little research can go a long ways to get you to the older sites.Good luck & happy hunting anf have fun.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the hobby. I am sure that you will like it. Please don't fall out just because sometimes you find only trash items, it happens to all of us. Sometimes I walk out of a morning hunt with just ONE coin and a pile of trash. Well that is just how it is, my good thought is that next time I won't find as much...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I am a new metal detector enthusiast, and eager to jump into the action. I am currently in Southern Ohio and am curious as to where I should be aiming to dig. Any tips for newbies? I am using a Bounty Hunter IV, by the way. My finds are only wheat pennies thus far (among the chump change).
Garrett has a book called, Sucessful Coin Hunting, by Charles Garrett which will give you many places to hunt that you might not think of otherwise. Nothing wrong with all the research you can stand.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the net, Ford! If you are finding wheaties, you are doing good! Many will pass up the pennies as not worth the time. NOT! The fact that you are finding them confirms that you are doing things right. It is now just a matter of time before other goodies find their way to your coil. When you start finding better "stuff", try to repeat the parameters. Success breeds success! Go get 'em! TT

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey ford, may i also suggest 2 other books that i have found very informative: 1. METAL DETECTING by Ronald Kamrowski 2. RELIC QUEST by Stephen Moore. hope this helps... HH

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the kind welcome and the advice! I shall certainly look at those books. Just found another wheat penny (1929) and a Darth Vader figurine today!

Edit: and a 1968 Kennedy half dollar :D!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ceasar's Creek State Park has a really big beach that can get you started. There is an old ghost-town just west of Shawnee off the Ohio River, too.

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Oxford, OH, Mike. I can only hope that there are some spots left :P.

mikefreeland

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
fordam3 said:
I'm in Oxford, OH, Mike. I can only hope that there are some spots left :P.

I dont think you will have any problems around there, ive never been there before! Lol, good luck!

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you! Whereabouts do you hunt? Are there any good group hunts here in Southern OH?

mikefreeland

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
fordam3 said:
Thank you! Whereabouts do you hunt? Are there any good group hunts here in Southern OH?

I hunt primarily around Portsmouth and about a 30 mile radius around it. I dont know of any clubs around here but do know of 2 other Etrac users down this way! Private property is the way to go down here if you can get permission!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions