Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 649282 View attachment 649283

I just got my coinmaster pro a few months ago and finally got around to checking out my yard. I live in Florida, in a new housing community, my house is 12 years old. After 30minutes this is what I dug up. There are lots of other hits but I didn't have time to investigate. I have a few questions if anybody would be gracious enough to help:
1. The hatchet obviously had a handle at some point in time. Could it possibly biodegrade in 12 years?
2. The hatchet is covered in rust. Any ideas how to get it off?
3. The hatchet was 8 inches deep. How long does it take something to get buried that long.
4. The spark plug is really odd. Any ideas?

Safe to say I'm pretty confused. I didn't expect to find anything, let alone this. I can't wait to get enough time to dig up the other hits.
Thanks to all who respond.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handle might just have been the metal it could have been a throwing type thing. The depth of items depends on the object, wether conditions and stuff like that. It probably isn't that old but idk. Cool find!

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An easy way to get rust off is electrolysis. It's a simple process. Google it to get an idea of what is involved. I use table salt as an electrolyte. You'll need a pretty big tank for that hatchet. Hard to say how long it has been in the ground. It looks pretty modern. Depth does not equal age by any means. Cool find anyway. Everybody loves digging hatchet's. Usually we just get the head. You got the whole dang thing!

-Swartzie

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 652118 View attachment 652119

So I decided to throw it into some muriatic acid I had leftover from balancing the pool. Whoa! Good thing I put on a gas mask first. This is what it looked like after five minutes. Thanks for the tips. I think I will try electolysis when I get the time. In case anybody wants to know...it takes roughly 3 seconds for concentrated muriatic acid to burn through thick latex gloves and start burning your hand.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Most muriatic acid sold is not full strength. I have used it to clean brickwork. Sponge on, let sit a couple of minutes then hose off. It is great for cleaning brass, but it is fast. Just rub it on with a rag or sponge, let it work for about a minute then place in a bucket of water. The acid WILL NOT eat plastic. Use plastic gloves and eye protection. Now that you have it cleaned, apply a coat of Rustoleom rust eating primer and a coat of your choice of colors. 12" down, I would guess it was buried when the lot was graded. The plug is not that old. Old plugs had less threading.
The hatchet looks like a good find. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thanks Adrian, Experience is the best teacher and since I have been working since I was 12, I have a lot of experience to fall back on.

Funny face-flower.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread