MD Question. Where Do You Find Rings?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MrLee. I will give you my biggest tip for beach hunting FREE. Just once.... Sit, one day, where you can see most of the beach. On the pier of a consession area is best. The older the pier, the better. Binoculars needed..... silvered sunglasses if with a girlfriend or wife (NOT BOTH!). Watch all the sunbathers. Most will lie along a point in the sand just before it swoops down to the water. Dry sand...dry sand...dry sand... SWOOP down to wet sand. They will be up on that dry sand. It will almost look like a line to a ball game except they will have blankets. THAT will be your main hunting line. As they all go home, you will see the DIE HARD hunters already hitting the beach. They will work most of the night , on large beaches. Your rings are IN THEIR BAGS! Good luck! TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IN the water baby! I fire up that Tesoro Sand Shark at low tide and get in hip deep!

Attachments

• SixRings.jpg
    SixRings.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 159
  • G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 187
  • summer2011.jpg
    summer2011.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 199

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. Terry! I got my share along FL, NC, and SC in the '80s and '90s. The pic on the right... those stones Diamonds or CZ's? Tnx. TTC

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both. I know about the zone most sunbathers are at. I grew up down here in So. Cal, I just was thinking more people are finding the rings down in the water at low tide. Sucks for me though because my Gold Bug is worthless in the saturated sand. Any recommendations for an entry level detector for water? Not looking to sell the house, just need something that will get me by. I'm going to Japan at then end of July and I want to hit the beaches there hard.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, those are CZ stones (but I have gotten two with real diamonds, one that I was able to return to a young Newlywed). Mr Lee, take a hard look at the Tesoro Sand Shark. It is the most affordable Pulse Induction water machine on the market, way deep (I use the 8" coil), and gauranteed for life.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Soloman is correct... the water is best. But... the water hunting years, for me leastways, are probably over. The water hunting wears you out faster. I have all I can do to get 3 or 4 GOOD hours on dry sand or at the waterline (throw in a little girlwatching and... that's a day). One day I was following one guy about 50 Yards behind him while he hunted along the waterline. I found a gold wedding band while following in his FOOTPRINTS! Just because you see people hunting the beach, don't automaticaly assume it is hunted out! The wet sand and deeper is the domain of the PI machine. I own a Fisher Impulse 8.. nolonger made. I have paid for it about 2 or 3 times over with baubles off the beach. You cannot go wrong if you know your (PI) machine and know how to hunt the beach/water. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, Remember "Treasure Search"? John Trevillian and another guy did a few episodes one year, back in the early '80s, I think. I bought their VHS tape and subscribed to their magazine. I got the tape and two copies of the mag before it went bust. I also bought a book they authored called "Diamonds in the surf". They were hunters extrodinaire! Today's attitude would have been good for them. They hunted the Cheasapeake, mostly. Wonder if that book is still in print....(UPDATE: BOB T and Carter. Still available at Amazon. Spyglass 1982.) A MUST READ for beach hunters. They did their thing along the Chesapeake. TTC

Last edited:

Nickt

Jun 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just starting out. Have been hitting the San Diego beaches hard and found a couple rings, a zippo lighter and some change. I love this hobby. My next mission is to save up and get a better md so I can hit the wet sand. I have had alot of luck with my Bounty Hunter model, but it doesn't do well in the wet areas.

Nickt

Jun 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I will definitely check that book out. Thanks for the tip.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, Remember "Treasure Search"? John Trevillian and another guy did a few episodes one year, back in the early '80s, I think. I bought their VHS tape and subscribed to their magazine. I got the tape and two copies of the mag before it went bust. I also bought a book they authored called "Diamonds in the surf". They were hunters extrodinaire! Today's attitude would have been good for them. They hunted the Cheasapeake, mostly. Wonder if that book is still in print....(UPDATE: BOB T and Carter. Still available at Amazon. Spyglass 1982.) A MUST READ for beach hunters. They did their thing along the Chesapeake. TTC

I was not familiar with Treasure Search. I'm going to look up the book!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waist deep water is the place to be.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on the tide range. If it goes out hundreds of yards its better to follow the tide out and be able to work several times faster and use a wet sand but not diving detector and take advantage of the better range of coils on offer.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do u ever find rings in washes like in AZ
If you are directing the question to me, CC, no, I never have. JARS full off the beach and a few in parks but not in the gold washes around Rich Hill, AZ TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do u ever find rings in washes like in AZ

No, but we do have the best Sand Bass fishing in Arizona out by Octave reef, on the East side of Rich Hill. We actually troll for them from our four-wheelers and quads!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, want a good laugh? I was up by Ike's claim. Two "dudes" all dressed in the LATEST of quale finement, with $3000 o/u shotguns. I was driving my F150 4x4. They asked if I had seen any quales ( at about noon!). No, of course not. I told them I would be in front of them please be aware. Ok. I drove up to the tracks Ike was making into the wash. I made a sharp right turn and my right-front axle rolled up onto a large rock. Airborne and stuck! Couldn't back off. I asked them if they could come over and pull me off. They came by and asked if the front hubs were locked. Sure they are I always keep them locked. My Brother TimC uses the truck and when he does, he unlocks the front. I locked them up, drove off the rock backwards and waved to the guys as I drove off. Too red faced to say more. OUCH! TTC

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
on inland small lakes, watch where the pretty litle mommies sit in water up to their boobs. when they reach for errant small kids ,is where their rings leave their hands. works for me and quite senic too.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice ring finds terry.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread