Yes it would be a prime spot, try around the piers and swimming holes! GL

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Theres a dry lake in my city 3 years of drought dry the lake out , I call the city and they said it was ok. I was wondering if it be s good place to hunt

Only if it was used for swimming or wading. If it was strictly for looks, or for fishing, then no, probably no good for coins/jewelry.

Also, unless there's no other md'rs in your geographic locale, it's probably been thought of, and hit already. But give it a try. It can't hurt. No one "gets it all" even if it has been tried since being dry.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup,sounds like as good as a place as any other and you'll never know unless you give it a shot.Ya got a dry lake bed,ya got the ok.If it was me I would at least give it a try just to see what I could find.Good luck & happy hunting...........................

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a lake about an hour from me that they drain every year that has an old railroad bed in it. I've been wondering the same thing If I souls give it a try too.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did more research on it used as swimming place back in the 70s so going to hunt on sunday morning

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did more research on it used as swimming place back in the 70s so going to hunt on sunday morning

Good luck.....................:icon_thumright:

minerjoe

Nov 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
ZED,2300,4500,t2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every year they drain a local pond by my house. I have pulled countless rings, and over 2oo$ in change over the last three years. Plus, it's great practice for the comming gold season. I have only foun a few wheatie pennies and nothing else older than 1965! sucks, but i know that it used to be a log deck pond for the mill, so i bet it wasn't swam in much till they shut down the mill. like a/c said the piers were great finds from when they hit the water. My best finds were shallow stand up areas in the middle..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread