Help!!!!

IndianHead97

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this token I found a couple weeks back and when I pulled it out of the ground it was in pretty bad shape. I got all the dirt off that I could but there was still some that was caked on. I put the token in olive oil for a couple days but got impatient. I then tried hydrogen peroxide and that seemed to help but you can still see the rust and some dirt. I only did it for an hour then scrubbed then I repeated that about 6 times. The token is brass and from my understanding the token community isn't to picky about cleaning. Can anyone suggest a good cleaning tip for brass?? I'd like to get it looking real good without damaging it! Should I soak it in the hydrogen peroxide overnight or longer?? It's my first token and I really don't want to screw it up! I would post pics but I don't have a camera at this point in time. Anything helps Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You are doing the hydrogen peroxide method wrong, if I am reading your text correctly. The way to do the Hydrogen peroxide thing, is not to simply put it in , and let it sit. Here's how you do it: take a few tablespoons full of hydrogen peroxide, put it in a little shot glass or coffee cup or whatever. Put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds (whatever time needed to make it boiling hot). Remove the heated solution from the microwave. Drop your metal item into that. You'll immediately see it fizzle and bubble :thumbsup: Take out, use your finger nail (or stiff plastic brush or whatever) as needed. Repeat as necessary.

If you're worried that the method may be too "abrasive" or "harsh", you can always practice it on a few worthless corroded common-date wheaties first, to see where/what is too much or too long, verses "just right" :)

I have this token I found a couple weeks back and when I pulled it out of the ground it was in pretty bad shape. I got all the dirt off that I could but there was still some that was caked on. I put the token in olive oil for a couple days but got impatient. I then tried hydrogen peroxide and that seemed to help but you can still see the rust and some dirt. I only did it for an hour then scrubbed then I repeated that about 6 times. The token is brass and from my understanding the token community isn't to picky about cleaning. Can anyone suggest a good cleaning tip for brass?? I'd like to get it looking real good without damaging it! Should I soak it in the hydrogen peroxide overnight or longer?? It's my first token and I really don't want to screw it up! I would post pics but I don't have a camera at this point in time. Anything helps Thanks!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why don't you just soak in Brasso for a day or two, then shine it up?

OP
OP
I

IndianHead97

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice I will try heating it and then brushing it. Does Brasso take the corrosion off as well? Or would I do that after the hydrogen peroxide? Thanks Again!!

OP
OP
I

IndianHead97

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you just soak in Brasso for a day or two, then shine it up?
So I put the token in Brasso and it seemed to do wonders for it! The only question I have is how do you shine it up? It came out dull and it is a little worn.
Thanks!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long soak in lemon juice has worked for me on tokens and crusty pennies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread