Oh, when will it end

bosco

Mar 23, 2012
knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This hot and dry summer is really putting a damper on doing any metal detecting this summer. If it isn't the dead spots you don't want to leave all over the place its the...hard as concrete ground you have to dig through.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks that you use in conditions such as what we are seeing throughout most of the country this summer?

Upvote 0

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunt the woods,beach or swamp lands during long dry spells,or ya can wait it out till ya get some rain.
Good luck & happy hunting.....................................................

OP
OP
bosco

bosco

Mar 23, 2012
knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol...pick axe. I'm starting to think more along the lines of renting a backhoe. I guess from the way it looks...at least here in Illinois I might as well starting looking forward to fall. Even if it doesn't rain at least I'm not out in 110 heat trying to dig a hole in this stuff. I really can't remember any other time...in my lifetime at least when it has been this dry for so long.

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got a little rain last night...not even enough to water the plants.:sadsmiley:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Might as well be in the middle of winter. Even the woods around me are full of ivy and bugs such as ticks and skeeters.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battery drill and hole saw!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its rained every day for two weeks now with another week of wet weather forcast where I live. The big plus is its kept most detectorists off the beaches and its jackpot time again as the surges of heavy rain off the mountains onto the beaches is turning streams into rivers and pushing new routes right down to the hardpack. Small rings and chains that are normally impossible to locate are virtually on the surface.

When we do eventually get a summer I use a hammer sized tool intended for cutting bricks, really a mini pick, and circle the target breaking the hard crust then switch to a spade. It never gets half as bad as the U.S. though !

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut your plug deep i try to get the full lesche depth plug to leave the roots in the best shape i possible can...then after im done i pop the lesche in the middle of the plug to help the water get into the roots better...thats if it ever rains that is

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sharpen your digger!!! ;-)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adapt. Improvise. Overcome. TTC

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spit where you plan on digging...or take a leak there. It'll soften the ground

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
Spit where you plan on digging...or take a leak there. It'll soften the ground

Ha ha wow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread