Newbie Looking for 1st MD

uwfotoguy

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! New to the sport and first post.
Trying to get a good grasp after reading till my eyes blurred.
I live near the beaches in Orange County, CA and am looking to do beach stuff and also be able to do rivers and banks in the mountains when I go camping with the kids. Read a lot and talked to a bunch of sales people and the consensus was the AT Pro, any thoughts???

Thanks,
Tom

Upvote 0

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The At-Pro has many good reviews, I have heard people that aren't so happy with it but it is not the majority. I think the AT can be a good over all solution for the type of detecting you are looking for. It is waterproof and that is a plus. It will work on salt water, but I just don't see how good it can work, anyhow it is stated that it should work some how.
If salt beaches weren't your priority, I could tell you to consider the AT-Gold, aparently it works better than the Pro even as a coinshooter.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well at least you read up on several machines and seem to know what you want... Good start :laughing7:

Now buy it and learn it.. :tongue3:

If you want anything more objective just wait until others post another dozen choice for you.. More reading :laughing9:

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I know of and heard about the AT pro it seems to be a good solid machine for all around detecting.Good luck...............

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro...excellent choice. Before you buy it...go to youtube and type in Garrett AT pro and watch the videos, this will give you an understanding of the machine and how it operates and sounds. If you do decide to go with it...Be patient and take the time (a lot of hours swingin and diggin) to learn it

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one time I used the AT Pro on our SoCal black sand beaches, it was unstable and had lots of falsing. I use an Excalibur and couldn't be happier with it (except for the crappy knobs that break off!). You can find a good used one on E-bay for around $750-800.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread