Survey, How do you swing?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hoping to get an idea on how everyone swings! I've only been detecting about 1.5 years, and I started out swinging in the typical arc (just about a half circle). After reading a book by Charles Garrett in which he advises to sweep in a straight line (side to side of course) in front of you, I decided to try it. I've never gone back! It seems that I have much more accuracy swinging and I can grid an area much faster and be more precise. So my question is do you swing in an arc or straight line? thanks for any responses. Scott

Last edited:
Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Atomic....the higher the sweep speed the better with four (or more) filter types. Swing left to right over a fairly short distance directly in front of you doesn't allow the best speed to be achieved as the coil is either slowing down to a halt or speeding up from a halt over much of its travel.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Atomic....the higher the sweep speed the better with four (or more) filter types. Swing left to right over a fairly short distance directly in front of you doesn't allow the best speed to be achieved as the coil is either slowing down to a halt or speeding up from a halt over much of its travel.
Hey brian, that does make sense. when I swing I try to keep the speed as consistent as possible throughout the swing. This should be good yes?

kgunn

Jan 1, 2012
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Dues
Safari
AT Pro
CoinMaster
White Gold
Minelab X-TERRA 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i sweep as fast as i can side 2 side allowing my sweeps 2 overlap n dependg on moisture content in the ground if i go back thru the opposite direction.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't hunt coins much anymore,hunt gold. Use a Minelab 4500, so this might not pertain to your question, but AH, that I am, got to throw my .02 in-
I sweep in an arc, run extended shafts and do a wide sweep, but do it slow and close to the ground. If'n you don't have to replace your coil cover every couple of years, you're not scrubbing the ground and using your detector to it's best advantage. They're cheap.
Low and Slow, if you want to find those little ones or deep ones!

Shep

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
Heterosexual, definitely heterosexual. TTC

J
Hahahahahaha

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low and Slow!!! Ask Red!!! Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread