Survey, How do you swing?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hoping to get an idea on how everyone swings! I've only been detecting about 1.5 years, and I started out swinging in the typical arc (just about a half circle). After reading a book by Charles Garrett in which he advises to sweep in a straight line (side to side of course) in front of you, I decided to try it. I've never gone back! It seems that I have much more accuracy swinging and I can grid an area much faster and be more precise. So my question is do you swing in an arc or straight line? thanks for any responses. Scott

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sweep side to side in front of me as I walk, coil is never more than 1-2 inches off the ground through entire sweep. I love to follow people who are swinging in an arc...

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I see your from Cal. If you lived around me I would suggest that you continue to do what your doing. But you don't detect around me so if I were you I would do what Treasure Hunter does.

You may want to define what you mean be arc.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your from Cal. If you lived around me I would suggest that you continue to do what your doing. But you don't detect around me so if I were you I would do what Treasure Hunter does.

You may want to define what you mean be arc.
Actually i did say an arc meaning like a half circle.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While swinging in the open, sunny areas. I swing in a straight line in front of me, maybe a six foot path. I go slow.

Whenever I am swinging in the shade of a tree, I stand in one place and swing in a half circle around me. Then I move to one side of the arc and swing over where I was standing. I repeat this over and over until all the shaded area is covered really well.

Down here in South Texas, our shade trees are pretty small and far and few in between, so once one in found you are not in a hurry to leave it.:toothy2:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I swing in a very open arc type . I swing in the most comfortable way so I can do it longer.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
With the best of them,sorry,couldn't help myself! God Bless Chris

Attachments

• zoot Mask.jpg
    zoot Mask.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 93

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heterosexual, definitely heterosexual. TTC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my coils have a cover on them so I just lay them on the ground and slide it side to side as I slowly walk. It also takes a little weight off your arm that way. Naturally, if the ground is uneven or rocky, it's a little harder to do but the idea is to keep the coil as close to the ground as possible to get the most depth.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe Garrett suggests 2 inches. I like to get to within an inch but not drag it along. TTC

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe Garrett suggests 2 inches. I like to get to within an inch but not drag it along. TTC
I agree. I would never let the detector drag on the surface. if I am detecting on grass I make the coil barely touch the grass, but I never have any weight on the coil, that, in my opinion, could prematurely damage the lower shaft and stress all the detector components. Just my 5 cents but for me sliding the detector coil with weight on it is wrong.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I would never let the detector drag on the surface. if I am detecting on grass I make the coil barely touch the grass, but I never have any weight on the coil, that, in my opinion, could prematurely damage the lower shaft and stress all the detector components. Just my 5 cents but for me sliding the detector coil with weight on it is wrong.

I just slide it across the ground. I don't put any weight on it or use it as a crutch. Been doing it for over 40 years now and haven't even worn out a coil cover let alone damage any components.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people say I swing both ways.. But I swear I am swinging straight! :laughing7:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on the detector used and its filtering set up. Do the short straight "swing" with high filter detectors and you don't achieve maximum depth and most accurate discrimination.
Scrubbing the ground (sliding the coil on the surface) has the drawback of reducing performance with many detectors due to backreading from the soil.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on the detector used and its filtering set up. Do the short straight "swing" with high filter detectors and you don't achieve maximum depth and most accurate discrimination.
Scrubbing the ground (sliding the coil on the surface) has the drawback of reducing performance with many detectors due to backreading from the soil.
Why would swinging in a straight line achieve less depth than swinging in an arc, if the coil is the same distance from the ground?

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low,slow,level and straight,to miss a good target I would hate.......................................

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low,slow,level and straight,to miss a good target I would hate.......................................
Wow Steveo you are quite a poet, did you know it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread