Fisher Gold Bug DP Coil Question

Kevinito

Greenie
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All:

I am new to metal detecting and am going to dive head first into gold prospecting (being in the middle of gold country in Union County, North Carolina). I am in the process of purchasing the Gold Bug DP and it is my understanding that it comes with the 11" DD Coil; however, could I interchange a 5" Coil? What are the benefits and/or drawbacks AND what is the maximum depth for this detector AND what is the difference (if any) between the Gold Bug DP and the Gold Bug Pro?

Thanks!

Kevin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
For gold prospecting you'll probably do better with the 5 inch coil than the 11 incher. Depth depends on the size and metallic composition of the metal object: sub-grain nuggets maybe an inch or two, automobile several feet. DP and Pro are functionally the same thing, the difference is things you can see in the picture, a dealer can explain.

Since you're not already a grizzled prospector, I recommend that you read my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", which is available in .pdf on the Fisher and Teknetics websites. It'll help get you started off doing it right.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
K

Kevinito

Greenie
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For gold prospecting you'll probably do better with the 5 inch coil than the 11 incher. Depth depends on the size and metallic composition of the metal object: sub-grain nuggets maybe an inch or two, automobile several feet. DP and Pro are functionally the same thing, the difference is things you can see in the picture, a dealer can explain.

Since you're not already a grizzled prospector, I recommend that you read my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", which is available in .pdf on the Fisher and Teknetics websites. It'll help get you started off doing it right.

--Dave J.

Hi Dave,

You so eloquently replied to previous posts of mine and I have perused and literally memorized your book. And you are correct - I am not a grizzled prospector, but I am grizzled. I do want a good all-around machine, but with gold prospecting capability. Do you know if the coils are interchangeable on the DP? I do appreciate it.

-Kevin

OP
OP
K

Kevinito

Greenie
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any other thoughts by all you grizzled pros?

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 11" and 5" coil are interchangeable. I have both. You can buy the Gold bug (dp) with the 11" and pick up the 5", or buy the Gold bug Pro with the 5" and pick up the 11". I found the 5" a very good coil and use it often where I have to go over ground slowly, which is often in trashy areas with a target every 3". I use the 11" when i am covering ground faster and it seems to go just a tad deeper, but not as easy to separate close targets...which makes sense. If you really have a lot of spots to look for gold, start with the 5".... ....I believe Dave J. who wrote the book ( I got it too) worked on the design of the new Gold Bugs . Not sure. One more thing, these machines REALLY pick up tiny targets, almost to a fault sometimes. So be ready to dig BB size targets that are sounding off big!......PS, when I got mine there was a package deal offered headphones diggers etc. I choose not to get some of this and the Dealer worked in a trade for a 11" coil in my package instead (Big Boys's Toys) you might go that route, too.

peebs

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2012
colorado
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another question from another newbie regarding fisher coils. Are fisher coils for Gold Bugs all interchangeable? Will a 14 inch concentric coil work on the original Gold Bug? Thanks

peebs

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2012
colorado
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dave, Bill here. Can you tell me if the 14 inch concentric coil will fit the original Gold Bug? It says M scope on it. I'm a newbie to this too. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread