Another Newbie looking for 1st MD recommendations

slyguy

Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been all over this forum, and it surprises me that there isn't a sticky for this question. If there is, and i am an idiot, my apologies.

That being said, I live in MN, and looking for a lower priced detector to get my feet wet. I'm thinking around $250-400 tops. I have read a lot of decent reviews on the Ace 350, but just wondering if there is another machine i should consider? I don't plan on doing much (if any) water hunting, but having the future capability might be nice in case i travel or decide to check out a beach on one of our 10,000 lakes.

Any recommendations would be great!! Thanks in advance

-AB

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
visit the manufacturers websites and read up on then yourself. We get tired of answering this question.

OP
OP
S

slyguy

Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I acknowledged that fact in my post.

Thanks but no thanks.

:icon_scratch:

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey AB,

Just bought the AT Pro myself today. Where in MN do you live? I live in the South Metro Twin Cities.
As far as I've heard the Ace's are popular and user friendly. My first detector was a Tesoro Umax Silver. Great detector to learn on because sometimes people start relying soley on the screen which will lead to missed targets. Check out this thread. Tesoro Cibola would be a good one too :-)
First Detector: Garrett Ace 350 or Tesoro Silver Umax? - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

OP
OP
S

slyguy

Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome information! I will give those suggestions a look. I am in the St Cloud area.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it.

-AB

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first machine was an ACE 250 and I loved it. Had a lot of great finds and it's easy to use. Affordable, too. If you love detecting and want to upgrade, they resell at a decent price. It is also lightweight. The 350 is equally good, just has a different coil I am told. Once you get started, check back in and post some finds on Today's Finds! Good luck!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The only MD that I can think of is the ATPro if you are looking for something with a screen that will work in the water too. If you decide that the screen is no mayor issue, than I can tell you that any of the detectorPro line will work out very well as land and water detectors. They aren't too expensive if you get them in the used market and are without question the lightest metal detectors out there. It is stated to weight 3.5 pounds but that is the detector, the shaft and the coil. Since the detector are your headpones than the shaft and coil weight less than 2 pounds. I like mine very much and for waterhunting is very good.

OP
OP
S

slyguy

Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the info folks! I wouldn't mind grabbing something used, but it seems for a recreational tool, people
hold onto them. I am usually pretty good and finding what i want on the secondary market, but even Ebay seems
to lack quantity, and quantity at a reduced price from new.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What are you talking about there are tons of detectors for sale each day. Ebay isn't the best place if you like to know where to find them send me a PM I will list you all the places I usually search.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer one of your questions.....the reason there isn't a sticky on buying a detector is the fact that there are many types of detecting, many different environments, many price ranges, many levels of expertise, and too many opinions on which is the best detector for each of those criteria. You might want to find a local club or hunting partner and see what works good in your area for the hunting you plan to do. You might even be able to borrow or rent one to see if you like it before you buy. Have Fun!........and good hunting!

OP
OP
S

slyguy

Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with a Tesoro model. Nabbed a umax conquistador off ebay for (i hope) to be a decent price. I figure
based on what i have read, that learning by tone would be my best bet before getting into something with a
display, and i liked the options this one had(and the price). If i like it, i will prob end up upgrading by years end,
but with about 3-4 months of detectoring season left, this should let me get my feet wet.

Anyone have an opinion on this machine? due to the low cost, i am considering the purchase of a second coil.

Cuda- I figured that was the case. Everyone seems to have different needs, budget, terrain, and opinions. But I didnt want to annoy with what is probably a very frequent question

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slyguy,
You've already made your purchase and you indicated you'd been all over this site but just incase, their is a search window in the upper right corner of the Tnet home page. Enter a key search word or phrase and it brings up items close to what you told it to look for. Good luck with the search and the new to you detector............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread