Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chrisplay2004
  • 2 Post By Treasure_Hunter

Thread: Waterproofing Metal Detectors??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    More Gold your Majesty!

Jun 2012
    Valhalla
    Garrett Ace 350
    2 times
    Metal Detecting

Waterproofing Metal Detectors??

I'm wondering if there is a way to make the control box portion of my Garrett ace 350 waterproof for hunting deeper (7-8ft max) in water. A google search led me to 3 sites that said to wrap plastic bags around the control box but I know right now that doing that will only break my toy. Is there a product out there for that or a way to safely ghetto rig it to be completely submerged?
    New To Metal Detecting
    Found Items:
    US Coins: 60: Face Value = $5.12
    Foreign Coins: 1
    Clad: 0 Troy ounces
    Jewelry: 2
    Relics: 0

us
    Feb 2008
    New Mexico
    Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
    63 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The only one I have ever seen was put inside a pelican box with a hole drilled for the plug then layer upon layer of silicone around the plug.
    I do not endorse this message..........
    worldtalker likes this.
    As always...Love Silver...but going for the Gold!

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9634 times
    I had a waterproofed sovereigh gt that was mounted in a ikelite camara box witht he controls extended outside the box. It was toatally waterproof, I sold it about 4 months ago.... What you are asking can be done, but remember there is water pressure, one leak and your detector is toast...

Your better off putting the money you would spend on a custom mod for you 350 into a used waterproofed detector to begin with.... Peace of mind is worth a lot......
    TreasureWriter and Sandman like this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    AT Pro
    13 times
    This is an Oldie, but a Goodie :-)
    Never tried it because most the links were broken, but have at it!

Waterproof Ace 250 "Lake Looter"
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." ~Winston Churchill

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    I had a waterproofed sovereigh gt that was mounted in a ikelite camara box witht he controls extended outside the box. It was toatally waterproof, I sold it about 4 months ago.... What you are asking can be done, but remember there is water pressure, one leak and your detector is toast...

Your better off putting the money you would spend on a custom mod for you 350 into a used waterproofed detector to begin with.... Peace of mind is worth a lot......
    Agreed 100% at best you'll spend a lot of money on mods that will void the warranty, at worst, you'll end up with a drowned detector. Best to go with a machine made for the task, that way if it leaks, you can send it back for repair.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1858 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    You can make your detector rain-proof and and splash proof (and maybe a quick shallow dunk proof) by plastic wrap, black tape and the joints, etc... But no, not water-proof for the type depth and time you're talking about. No matter how well you wrap it, water's going to find it's way to simple plastic bags, tape, etc....

As for long-term mod's (camera boxes designed to make non-water-proof cameras water-proof), I think you'll eventually run up to the expense and time that you might as well just plunk your $ down on a waterproof detector. Because the time modifying your machine to fit the size and orifices which aren't specific to the size and shape of the camera boxes.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that if you make something utterly truly self-contained encapsulated cavity, is sweat. Sweat beads can form inside a totally sealed containment. So you have to put one of those silicone absorbancy packs in, I think.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9634 times
    I bought my w.proofed sov gt already modded. The case alone was over $100 plus controls, headphones and cable had to have custom mods with waterproof connectors. I lucked out and got it on a divorce sell, builder refused to build any for anyone else due to expense and the time it took to build it.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Sponsors