Waterproofing Metal Detectors??

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm wondering if there is a way to make the control box portion of my Garrett ace 350 waterproof for hunting deeper (7-8ft max) in water. A google search led me to 3 sites that said to wrap plastic bags around the control box but I know right now that doing that will only break my toy. Is there a product out there for that or a way to safely ghetto rig it to be completely submerged?

Upvote 0

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only one I have ever seen was put inside a pelican box with a hole drilled for the plug then layer upon layer of silicone around the plug.
I do not endorse this message..........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a waterproofed sovereigh gt that was mounted in a ikelite camara box witht he controls extended outside the box. It was toatally waterproof, I sold it about 4 months ago.... What you are asking can be done, but remember there is water pressure, one leak and your detector is toast...

Your better off putting the money you would spend on a custom mod for you 350 into a used waterproofed detector to begin with.... Peace of mind is worth a lot......:icon_thumleft:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a waterproofed sovereigh gt that was mounted in a ikelite camara box witht he controls extended outside the box. It was toatally waterproof, I sold it about 4 months ago.... What you are asking can be done, but remember there is water pressure, one leak and your detector is toast...

Your better off putting the money you would spend on a custom mod for you 350 into a used waterproofed detector to begin with.... Peace of mind is worth a lot......:icon_thumleft:

Agreed 100% at best you'll spend a lot of money on mods that will void the warranty, at worst, you'll end up with a drowned detector. Best to go with a machine made for the task, that way if it leaks, you can send it back for repair.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You can make your detector rain-proof and and splash proof (and maybe a quick shallow dunk proof) by plastic wrap, black tape and the joints, etc... But no, not water-proof for the type depth and time you're talking about. No matter how well you wrap it, water's going to find it's way to simple plastic bags, tape, etc....

As for long-term mod's (camera boxes designed to make non-water-proof cameras water-proof), I think you'll eventually run up to the expense and time that you might as well just plunk your $ down on a waterproof detector. Because the time modifying your machine to fit the size and orifices which aren't specific to the size and shape of the camera boxes.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that if you make something utterly truly self-contained encapsulated cavity, is sweat. Sweat beads can form inside a totally sealed containment. So you have to put one of those silicone absorbancy packs in, I think.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my w.proofed sov gt already modded. The case alone was over $100 plus controls, headphones and cable had to have custom mods with waterproof connectors. I lucked out and got it on a divorce sell, builder refused to build any for anyone else due to expense and the time it took to build it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread