cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody cares if you tect the strip between the sidewalk and road. Almost nobody. It's a crap shoot. The nosy neighbors and hecklers aint worth it for me, but one of my best coins was found in the strip along an old seminary from the late 1800's, a killer 1900 Canada quarter in MS condition. But that is not the norm.

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first and only Indian Head 1890 on a curb strip. I found a 1943 merc on the lawn side of one about 4feet from the sidewalk. Both very shallow.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the best I have done has been strips!! In fact, I look for them! At one town I found a whole block, both sides, old trees, jumbled walkways,road asphalt to the top of the curbs, I was drooling! I went there the next morning early, right at daybreak. The very first signal was a buffalo nickel! I continued and while bent over digging another signal I see these tires roll up next to the curb. I looked up and it was a police cruiser, " what you doing?" Metal detecting, I replied. " we had a report that someone was digging in there front yard" Again I replied,yea a lot of people think this is part of there front but, it's actually city right of way. He looked out his window up and down the street and said" Your right, have a good day!" I was beside myself, happy as a pig in do do! I stood up, and with a big smile from ear to ear and did a complete circle, knowing they were looking out the window!! That day I found 11 mercs, 38 whtys, 2 Indians and the buffalo. I have yet to best that silver count for a 1 day hunt!

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wear an orange vest and a white hard hat and they'll think you work for the city

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
The neighbor I don't get along with, I did the bouelvard in front of his property, he called the cops, they showed up and tried to say I had to leave, and I had printed with me the ordinance on using any kind of "shovel" or "digging tool" on city property. No deeper than 7 inches and no wider than 10 inches. Shut the neighbor up for good.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver if you ask the city department show them the plug you make and get that permission in writing it always helps with the homeowners. Once the city official sees your not the one leaving holes they usually give you the go ahead. Once most homeowners see the permission granted by the city they are fine with it being the city property. By all means leave no traces of your plugs you cut in the lawns cause the homeowner will B!*@# about it to the city then you loose the privelage... I can go anywhere on city property with my So called permission slipp.. Yes I got a permission slip from the city except on court house property. LOL. maybe they think I will bury something No way and loose my right. Asking and getting signed permission goes along way. Most homeowners ask if I can find jewelry they lost 10 years or more ago. so far I only found 1 ring a ldies husbandswedding band HH and good luck

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go MD it, u start bugging the city u might see signs go up for no MD in public parks etc. If the home owner comes out just say this is city property and continue MDing.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Freddy , tell me you're not serious.

You: a) Told them and showed them about "plugs", then b) asked a city official to give you legal permission in writing ?

I'm glad you were successful with this in your town , but no .... would not recommend this to others . It seems like the fastest way to get a no.

Was there some sort of anti-detecting rule in your town that made this a necessary step for you, to begin with ?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.....if it's city property, don't ask, don't tell. If the relative homeowner confronts you, just smile, tell him to have a good day, and move down the street. Note the address and come back when you know he's gone or asleep. If the police show up, just plead ignorance and assure them that you haven't done any damage......unless you have and deserve to go to jail!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This strip is not ordinarily a right-of-way or easement.

In a platted area, it's city property. Bear in mind that the homeowner may be totally unaware of that, and that he mows it and keeps the weeds off of it. Myself, even knowing this, I don't detect it without permission. Even though I can legally trespass in my profession when working, I ask when I practically can. It just makes sense - and friends.

In less common areas (mostly outskirts or rural areas), it can be owned by the property owner.

Then they own it to the middle of the road (or less often to another line, like a section line or prior ownership). You can't detect there then. Just because the public has a right to travel it, does not give you a right to detect it, or pick asparagus for that matter.

Hope this clears this up some.

Disclaimer: This is not legal or boundary advice; always seek site specific advice from qualified professionals.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

How about some finds on grassy ships?

silversnatcher, what is your question? Are you asking what are some examples of finds from grassy strips? Or were you intending to ask who owns the finds from grassy strips? If you meant the latter, then I suppose the city would own them.

To experiment with this legal question, do the following case-test: Take a mint condition 1916d dime into city hall wherever you live. Tell them you found it on the city's grass strip, which the city owns. Tell them you found out it's worth $5k. Then ask them "Is it alright if I keep this for my own fun and enjoyment, and sell on ebay? Or does it belong to the city (like in a city museum), since it was found on city property?" And see what they say. Be sure to throw out words like "cultural heritage", and so forth.

I suppose the same non-collecting verbage in most city's codes (to prevent people from thinking they can back up their truck to the city park, and help themselves to all the roses, tan-bark, etc...) could also legally and technically be used to forbid people from thinking they can just nilly-willy pick up things (thus even coins) to take home.

But now you tell me, did anyone really care? Probably not. Moral of the story?

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
This sounds like another job for ‘Fake Utility Co. Inspector Man (or Woman)’ Put on an Optic Orange Vest, White Helmet and proudly wear your MD Tool Belt, the bigger, the better.
If anyone asks just say “Citizen, please leave the area, I am scanning!”

UPDATE: Sorry Snakeyes, I missed your entry above about orange vest!

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tokameel said:
This sounds like another job for ‘Fake Utility Co. Inspector Man (or Woman)’ Put on an Optic Orange Vest, White Helmet and proudly wear your MD Tool Belt, the bigger, the better.

Lol that's funny never thought bout that
I think some people on here get a little carried away with the whole asking permission

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UPDATE: Sorry Snakeyes, I missed your entry above about orange vest!

Don't forget to set out the orange cones in your search area, with signs that say, "Keep Out - RF radiation".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread