Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sidewalk grassy strip?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2012
    70 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Sidewalk grassy strip?

Was wondering how you guys do sidewalk grassy strips do you ask permission or just detect it because it's not really the house owners land. Do you ask the city or home owner or just do it or wait for it to be torn out for construction?

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1501 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by silversnacher View Post
    Was wondering how you guys do sidewalk grassy strips do you ask permission or just detect it because it's not really the house owners land. Do you ask the city or home owner or just do it or wait for it to be torn out for construction?
    Well silver-snacher, I don't usually tell too many people this .... but it is I, ... yes I .... who own all the curbstrip grass between the sidewalk and the street, in every city. As such, I grant you permission to hunt them. No don't thank me. I'm just happy to help.
    Lady Pirate likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Jun 2012
    70 times
    Thanks ill blame you if I get in trouble :tongue:

Jun 2012
    70 times
    😝lol😝

Jun 2012
    70 times
    Has anyone got yelled at by a home owner from doing this?

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    585 times
    tectin crap
    I cant imagine what I would do seeing some stranger in front of my house swinging that freaky gieger counter in my front yard, my yard that my kids play in. I lie. I know what I do. I call the police, STAT. End of story. Forever. Think about that.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

Jun 2012
    70 times
    I don't mean there yard I mean the part in-between the sidewalk and the road which is not there property.

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yeah, I'm rather curious about that. I've been restricting myself to the trash lawn strips afront apartment complexes.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    I am going out right now and plant a bunch of pull tabs and can slaw in my sidewalk strip. That will just about piss anyone off who try's.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    1501 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Well silver, you've got to have a thicker skin in this hobby. If getting "yelled at" has to be avoided at all costs, (or any other various forms of disapproval) then maybe this hobby isn't for you.

I wish the "red carpet" were rolled out for me wherever I went, and that everyone loved my hobby. But it simply isn't so. One time I even had a lady on the beach yell at me and tell my detector was bothering her dog! (I guess she thought it was emitting some sort of frequencies or something that only dogs heard or something )

And so too will you occasionally be flipped off in traffic because someone thinks you did a poor lane change. I mean .... let's face it: we're in an odd hobby that draws the stares of curious on-lookers. And admittedly does contain connotations. You simply can't change that. So as much as I wish all archies and people loved what I'm doing, it simply isn't going to happen.

You are welcome to knock on doors (even though technically you may not need to), to alleviate that persons like gleaner won't call the cops. Sure. But then you might get a bunch of "no's", from people who quite frankly may never have cared, never have seen you, never have given it a moment's thought, etc...

I know people who roam the sidewalk strips, but they do it super early 5am to 7am, or strange low-traffic shifts like that), and they rarely "have the cops called on them". One friend of mine did have this happen, and the cops showed up: My friend could see .... in the distance ... a man in the distance standing on his porch, who must've been the one to call the cops. My friend just explained the cops that this is public property, and he was/is doing no harm or damage. The cops looked around, and agreed with his interpretation of the parking strip ownership, and agreed he was doing no harm. But they asked him to "please move on around the corner somewhere else, just to keep this guy over there from griping more", or something to that effect.

Has anyone got yelled at by a home owner from doing this?
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Jul 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
    CoinFetcher likes this.

Jun 2012
    70 times
    Thank you Tom I think I will give the grassy strips a go!

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1426 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    There is, indeed, a law that gives the city, or county, the "right of way" easement to put in the sidewalk. One of those "for the good of all" laws. Then you get taxed to maintain the "improvement". Those thin strips are good places to hunt. The BETTER strips are the driver's side on a one-way street (when parking on the driver's side). Hunt the same general area as the police officer will get to know you, and the legallity in what you are doing because you will be hunting on his beat. He will become a friend. HOPEFULLY, you will get to know him well enough that he will show you THE SPOTS on his beat! He will be your INSIDE MAN. If permission were needed, HE will ask the landowner. It is HARD to tell a man, or woman, no when he is in uniform. Do you see where I'm going with this? TTC
    At home the ground was covered with snow, and I was covered with sweat. My younger brother called me a killer and my daddy called me a vet. Still in Saigon. Charlie Daniels Band

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1426 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Oh, welcome to the Net! TTC
    At home the ground was covered with snow, and I was covered with sweat. My younger brother called me a killer and my daddy called me a vet. Still in Saigon. Charlie Daniels Band

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Dete
    840 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I agree with Tom. If there are no city ordinances against it, just hunt the parking strip without alerting the land owner. Most don't care and some won't want to confront you or call the police. If confronted, just smile, let them know what you're doing and try to engage them in the activity if they'll let you get a word in edgewise. If they're angry or threatening to call the police, just tell them to have a good day and move on down the road. Come back when the "land baron" is at work or asleep if the area is producing.

Jun 2012
    70 times
    Thank you terry and Tom you are both very helpful

Jun 2012
    70 times
    What are some good finds from sidewalk grassy strips? How deep?

Jun 2012
    70 times
    Well I detected the grassy strip and found my first wheatie! A 1910

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    1501 times
    Banner Finds (3)

wow

Well I detected the grassy strip and found my first wheatie! A 1910
    wow, you cheated. You're supposed to "pay your dues" and dig a bunch of the more boring 1950s and '40s wheaties, before you progress to the teens wheaties. Congratz. Almost an Indian head for that matter. And old enough to have been a barber. Nice.

Jun 2012
    70 times
    Thanks

us
    Dec 2007
    Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
    Garrett GTAX 1000
    1 times
    I used to hit the grassy strip downtown when I had nothing better to do. Some strips have or had parking meters lining them. I learned to use a 4" coil because of all the hits so close together.
    If it's not nailed down it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors