Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Was wondering how you guys do sidewalk grassy strips do you ask permission or just detect it because it's not really the house owners land. Do you ask the city or home owner or just do it or wait for it to be torn out for construction?

Well silver-snacher, I don't usually tell too many people this .... but it is I, ... yes I .... who own all the curbstrip grass between the sidewalk and the street, in every city. As such, I grant you permission to hunt them. No don't thank me. I'm just happy to help. :hello:

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ill blame you if I get in trouble :tongue:

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone got yelled at by a home owner from doing this?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I cant imagine what I would do seeing some stranger in front of my house swinging that freaky gieger counter in my front yard, my yard that my kids play in. I lie. I know what I do. I call the police, STAT. End of story. Forever. Think about that.

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mean there yard I mean the part in-between the sidewalk and the road which is not there property.

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'm rather curious about that. I've been restricting myself to the trash lawn strips afront apartment complexes.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I am going out right now and plant a bunch of pull tabs and can slaw in my sidewalk strip. That will just about piss anyone off who try's.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Well silver, you've got to have a thicker skin in this hobby. If getting "yelled at" has to be avoided at all costs, (or any other various forms of disapproval) then maybe this hobby isn't for you.

I wish the "red carpet" were rolled out for me wherever I went, and that everyone loved my hobby. But it simply isn't so. One time I even had a lady on the beach yell at me and tell my detector was bothering her dog! (I guess she thought it was emitting some sort of frequencies or something that only dogs heard or something :icon_scratch: )

And so too will you occasionally be flipped off in traffic because someone thinks you did a poor lane change. I mean .... let's face it: we're in an odd hobby that draws the stares of curious on-lookers. And admittedly does contain connotations. You simply can't change that. So as much as I wish all archies and people loved what I'm doing, it simply isn't going to happen.

You are welcome to knock on doors (even though technically you may not need to), to alleviate that persons like gleaner won't call the cops. Sure. But then you might get a bunch of "no's", from people who quite frankly may never have cared, never have seen you, never have given it a moment's thought, etc...

I know people who roam the sidewalk strips, but they do it super early 5am to 7am, or strange low-traffic shifts like that), and they rarely "have the cops called on them". One friend of mine did have this happen, and the cops showed up: My friend could see .... in the distance ... a man in the distance standing on his porch, who must've been the one to call the cops. My friend just explained the cops that this is public property, and he was/is doing no harm or damage. The cops looked around, and agreed with his interpretation of the parking strip ownership, and agreed he was doing no harm. But they asked him to "please move on around the corner somewhere else, just to keep this guy over there from griping more", or something to that effect.

Has anyone got yelled at by a home owner from doing this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Tom I think I will give the grassy strips a go!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is, indeed, a law that gives the city, or county, the "right of way" easement to put in the sidewalk. One of those "for the good of all" laws. Then you get taxed to maintain the "improvement". Those thin strips are good places to hunt. The BETTER strips are the driver's side on a one-way street (when parking on the driver's side). Hunt the same general area as the police officer will get to know you, and the legallity in what you are doing because you will be hunting on his beat. He will become a friend. HOPEFULLY, you will get to know him well enough that he will show you THE SPOTS on his beat! He will be your INSIDE MAN. If permission were needed, HE will ask the landowner. It is HARD to tell a man, or woman, no when he is in uniform. Do you see where I'm going with this? TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, welcome to the Net! TTC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom. If there are no city ordinances against it, just hunt the parking strip without alerting the land owner. Most don't care and some won't want to confront you or call the police. If confronted, just smile, let them know what you're doing and try to engage them in the activity if they'll let you get a word in edgewise. If they're angry or threatening to call the police, just tell them to have a good day and move on down the road. Come back when the "land baron" is at work or asleep if the area is producing.

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are some good finds from sidewalk grassy strips? How deep?

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I detected the grassy strip and found my first wheatie! A 1910 :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
wow

Well I detected the grassy strip and found my first wheatie! A 1910 :)

wow, you cheated. You're supposed to "pay your dues" and dig a bunch of the more boring 1950s and '40s wheaties, before you progress to the teens wheaties. :laughing7: Congratz. Almost an Indian head for that matter. And old enough to have been a barber. Nice.

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hit the grassy strip downtown when I had nothing better to do. Some strips have or had parking meters lining them. I learned to use a 4" coil because of all the hits so close together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions