Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Tesoro metal detectors?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    115 times
    eating
    I was going to offer the complete and undisputed answer to your question but when I read some of the replies already posted I saw that it has been answered at least 10 times already.

Whenever a question arises about Tesoro detectors one should expect a wave of replies. Some of us are very loyal to that brand and for good reason, they are as good or better than anything else out there when it comes to general coin/relic hunting (not gold nugget hunting).

Let me define "better."

By "better" or "as good" I mean what matters in a real life hunting situation. There are detectors that can go deeper on coins in a controlled situation (like a test site). This is acheived by maximizing a machines super sensitivity to the point of making the machine unstable and moving the search coil precisely over a known target. I tested one such brand extensively and it would detect a nickle at 8-9 inches with no problem whereas my Tejon would only detect a fresh buried nickle about 7 inches deep. However, in a real life hunting situation the Tejon completely defeated the super sensitive machine when it came to finds. The reason for this was in the real world I had to turn the sensitivity way down on the super deep machine in order to prevent falsing (false signals due to too much amplification of signal). The way companies increase depth with detectors is to hype-up the receiver. But if this is done too much the machine becomes unstable (false signals from minerals, etc.).

Tesoro has always built machines that tend to stay within the stable range. This fact not only saves the THer time but it also helps save a lot of grass due to fewer holes being dug for nothing. The Tejon can be adjusted beyond stability but only slightly. But this feature comes in handy when using certain hunting techniques.

Meters are fun and I think some people hunt mostly to enjoy playing with their meters. They like to look at numbers, etc., and compare the readings with the finds. That's cool and I say do whatever blows your hair back. I went through that phase myself and got over it when I dug gold that the meter said was trash iron. Have fun with meters but just remember you can't trust them. Back in the old days Fisher at first wouldn't put them on their machines because they said they were a gimmick. But customer demands caused them to give in.

Another added plus (super BIG plus) of 100% quality company backing (as in repaired free). Have you ever checked on what it cost to fix a detector not covered by a company? Be ready for a shock! And I've found that even after paying those big bucks often the machine is never right. Years ago I bought a Minelab Explorer from a member here that he had just had repaired. It was junk. I sold (gave it away) and bought a new Explorer which was great.

You now have more than enough info to make your decision. So go buy the brand you had intended on buying even before you asked this question (just kidding).

Badger
    Last edited by Michigan Badger; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Keppy likes this.
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1654 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The SOUND is EVERYTHING. If you need to spend alot of money on accessories, make it the best earphones you can buy. Everything else, including display, is simply part of the bells and whistles. Remember, a metal detector is incapable of lying.... you just have to figure out what it is telling you. And that ONLY comes with TIME, which does not come with the machine. It is in your BRAIN HOUSING GROUP! TTC
    eyemustdigtreasure and yelnif like this.
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Apr 2009
    Bronx
    Tesoro Golden Umax Whites DFX 300
    106 times
    Regarding the "FREE" life time warranty of TESORO, it is not free! It is built into the cost of the machine. It’s like the alarm system with free installation. They build the installation cost into your monthly monitoring charge. Companies don’t do things for free. It’s bad for business. I haven't opened up my Golden U Max, but between the battery in the unit, headphone connector and switches protruding into that small housing, the circuit board has to be the size of a book of matches. Hence, minimal repair cost. No costly displays or electronics to replace. (This is what I believe.)

Don't get me wrong. I liked the Golden U max. Used mine for two years, had a lot of fun with it. I believe they get the job done and are a good value. Would consider getting a sand shark. This year I bought a used Whites DFX. Mainly because of the dual frequency which would allow me to hunt the wet sand and shallow surf on the beach. I haven’t looked back since. I like the SignaGraph display. After a while you just listen to the sounds and glance at the screen when you hear something good. I can’t talk about other machines because these are the only two I have ever used. I suggest that you stick to the top name brands and buy a used machine if you want to save money. Detectors in like new condition are easy to find on eBay and the classified ads on this site.

Jul 2012
    nc Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    889 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've had a Tesoro Lobo since 2000, and never had a problem with it.
    I don't baby it, I bang it around, Left it in hot vehicles, rain and never had a problem.
    All metal mode for relics or gold, and variable discrimination for coins, life time warranty...what more could you want?

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    135 times
    Terry, your not to bright are you. If you ever paid any attention you will see that I have some detectors so that people can try them without wasting their money buying them....like the Whites D.F. Not a bad machine but anything like the reviews on the forums....no. Also had the older Sandshark, Goldquest SS, still have a Beachscan, Deepstar, TDI etc so that people can try them and not fall foul of the forum nuts who will saying anything. Also the Beach Hunter I.D., Minelab Sovereign and other BBS/FBS detectors so people can see whats hype and whats not.

Now Jovan lives in Florida so there's more than a good chance that he will want to beach detect in the main with a little land detecting as well. This means either two detectors if he takes the pulse route or one twin/triple or multifrequency detector.

Some replies suggest that Tesoro don't make VDI/target I.D. detectors which as I pointed out they do. I wonder why they sell these gimmicks. There's still the old warranty chesnut. In the States yes, but outside you can go deeper much cheap and get a better warranty.

Best discrimination, very debatable. Fastest recovery speed....only if you have never used other brands in the last five years. Only company to have offered lifetime warranties ? Other brands offered this in the past including Eric Foster's Location Technology on his pulse machines. Sorry Terry those who can cut it don't have to work in Wall Mart or park cars and pump gas. They detect full time and can make a very good living from it.
    Casca likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by U.K. Brian View Post
    Terry, your not to bright are you..
    Nope, not very bright at all but smart enough to know I only need three detectors, and two of those are Tesoro machines. Eric Foster machines are fussy little things for fussy little people - In my never humble opinion. I've used them, and given them right back to their owners because they are like little whining children that are never happy no matter how you try to please them. I guess Tesoro rebuffed you and your business at some point? Your dislike of the Company is more than obvious and I am sure it has more to do with your personality than it does with the quality of Tesoro machines. Who is the Metal Detector sponsor for your company? Who sells machines to your customers? In my case it is Minelab and Tesoro, because I believe they are the BEST, for what my Company does. You?
    smcdmc, TerryC, Sandman and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Terry with all due respect to you and to Tesoro, I see that your detectors advise is extremely biased, always. I might understand that Tesoro pays for your detectors, or that you have some special deal with them, but comon there are other brands and models out there that can perform the same or better.
    I am not saying that your knowledge in the matter isnt good, but sometimes reading your posts on advise i see you like a horse with blind folds that can't see past Tesoro or the minelab gpx.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
    DirtWarrior likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    570 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'll be glad to follow you around and dig every you don't want.

gb
    Sep 2010
    2 times
    i always find with the tesoro polo coils you dont need to pinpoint the target is always in the centreof the coil thats my experiance

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
    Terry with all due respect to you and to Tesoro, I see that your detectors advise is extremely biased, always. I might understand that Tesoro pays for your detectors, or that you have some special deal with them, but comon there are other brands and models out there that can perform the same or better.
    I am not saying that your knowledge in the matter isnt good, but sometimes reading your posts on advise i see you like a horse with blind folds that can't see past Tesoro or the minelab gpx.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
    Wow, respect! Way cool Norbyx! I don't know what your level of experience is, but I have used and owned Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, DetectorPro, and a few others. I now hunt with Minelab and Tesoro - period. That is because I have tried the rest, and always came back to the best. That is my biased opinion, based on 30+ years of messing around in the dirt and sand. With all due respect of course!

us
    Mar 2009
    Columbia falls Montana
    Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
    390 times
    I've had a Vaq for a while now, I'm confused when people say best discriminator or best cherrypicker. I hunt places litered with crowncaps and aluminum screwcaps, how do you avoid these. I have the 5 inch widescan it hits these with disc almost maxxed. Digging would be pointless as there areas with 2 or 3 in every swing.

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot

Jul 2010
    Watkins Glen N.Y. Finger Lakes Region,Beaver Dams N.Y.
    Teknetics Omega,EuroTek Pro Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Toltec ll, ,Gray Ghost Ultimate's,Depth Master Super Phones II,Garrett Pro Pointer,Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" 28" Lesche Ground Shark
    1129 times
    I still use a Tesoro Toltec II it was a demo in my MD shop i use it twice a week,my hunting partner bought a ToltecII from me in 93 we hunt all the time togeather with these machines.
    We have used alot of detectors over the years,and have many newer ones,but choose the Toltec`s more often,found more gold trinkets with them than any other brands,silver quarters at 7"-10" ya,does the ID meter lie yes witch one don`t.
    When i sold detectors in the 90s i was proud to have the Tesoro brand in my store,they sold themselfs with quilty build, great disc. never thought of them as toys,don`t know anyone that does.
    Gary G.A.P.metal
    I`v been detecting for 45 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules
    NEL Hunter Coil 12 1/2" X 8 1/2"
    NEL Sharpshooter Coil 9 1/2" X 5 1/2"
    NEL Sharp Coil 5"
    ReadyShovel Holster

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    135 times
    Directly anyone starts to lose an arguement they move the goalposts. No one ever said Tesoro detectors are toys just that they are lagging behind. They fell behind several years back and Arizona Al who was a dealer for Tesoro warned of what was happening with just a few slight tweaks to the latest designs. Don't know if his words had any effect but they did follow up with new models the next year.

Now to get down to facts. Tesoro has not improved its pulse as just about every other pulse manufacturer has, it has gone backwards in hardwiring the coils (Detector Pro improved hardwear, C-Scope, lighter, cheap and a processor, Whites with ground balancing models and the DF coils plus gain and pulse delay controls on the D.F., rather than just one or the other, hoard hunting models have been improved and the coil ranges extended to allow searching for individual coins not just large objects, plus pulse discrimination by hybrid designs or the addition of magnetometer coils). Most manufacturers have worked to reduce pulse delay times because for a sensitive P.I. you need the ability to be able to turn off the current pulse as soon as possible to induce a high voltage spike (can be as much as 400 volts) and then get back as near to zero volts in just a few microseconds.

As for the general range of detectors, recovery speed is why people bought the XP Goldmaxx, Power and now the Deus which are all rather expensive machines. If they wanted an American brand in the past they would pick certain Compass models and today a Gold Bug SE Pro, Teknetics T2 or G2.

Lag behind and you lose sales. When I met up with Jack Gifford, who would come over to detect with Frank Mellish, his importer, every few years just about everyone had a Tesoro for plough soil detecting. Twenty years on and you see a fraction of the amount in use. Doubt if I could buy a Sand Shark except by special order because the sales are just not there for a dealer.

As for my working for a manufacturer or being a dealer unfortunately not, though Garrett users suggest I work for Minelab, Minelab for Fisher etc. I detect for a living and to do that you need to use the best, not one brand whatever it is.

us

Jun 2008
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1654 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    U K Brian. I have never owned a Tesoro. Don't know if I will. I have been hunting 40+ years. All I will tell you is.... If Terry says it is so, it must be! Don't mess with my bud, Terry Soloman! TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us

Jun 2008
    1654 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Oh, Terry. I bought the book you reviewed... about the Superstitions. TimC and I have a vested interest in the subject... 'nough said. TTC
    Casca likes this.
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsors