Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why at times i say that the treasure fourms could drive you crazy...............Jovan421..... asked about Tesoro and now he has got to be all mixed up in his head.................some think they are great some don't care for them & and some say they are so so......... My self think they are a very good detector... Made right here in the USA ...........

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken why don't you and Terry mention the Sand Shark has gone backwards in the last few years ? Why say the Lobo or did you mean the Lobo Supertrac will compete with "all other VLF's" when it won't. Its primary roll was in gold hunting so sensitivity came well before depth. As for discriminating P.I.'s why didn't you argue the point with Terry when he said there's no discriminating P.I. ?

Keppy is quite right though. You should be able to ask a question. The answer (for most of the Tesoros's) is that they are light, cheap/good warranty (in the U.S.) and easy to use. Best performance/value for money, not any more. All Jovan has to do now is to visit a local detecting club and try a few detectors in his price range and then make his choice.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ken why don't you and Terry mention the Sand Shark has gone backwards in the last few years ? Why say the Lobo or did you mean the Lobo Supertrac will compete with "all other VLF's" when it won't. Its primary roll was in gold hunting so sensitivity came well before depth. As for discriminating P.I.'s why didn't you argue the point with Terry when he said there's no discriminating P.I. ?

Keppy is quite right though. You should be able to ask a question. The answer (for most of the Tesoros's) is that they are light, cheap/good warranty (in the U.S.) and easy to use. Best performance/value for money, not any more. All Jovan has to do now is to visit a local detecting club and try a few detectors in his price range and then make his choice.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by U.K. Brian
..Tesoro has not improved its pulse as just about every other pulse manufacturer has, it has gone backwards in hardwiring the coils (Detector Pro improved hardwear, C-Scope, lighter, cheap and a processor, Whites with ground balancing models and the DF coils plus gain and pulse delay controls on the D.F., rather than just one or the other, hoard hunting models have been improved and the coil ranges extended to allow searching for individual coins not just large objects, plus pulse discrimination by hybrid designs or the addition of magnetometer coils). Most manufacturers have worked to reduce pulse delay times because for a sensitive P.I. you need the ability to be able to turn off the current pulse as soon as possible to induce a high voltage spike (can be as much as 400 volts) and then get back as near to zero volts in just a few microseconds.<<<

I want to address this opinion, or theory, or whatever this is directly.

1) The current hardwired Tesoro Sand Shark performs just as well or better than ANY of the machines you referenced. It does so with a fixed pusle rate, set for maximun depth in ALL water hunting situations. The machine is designed as an IN WATER detector, rated to 200-feet. I don't care what machine you use, in five-feet of saltwater or deeper, you WILL be running a 20, not a 15. On the wet sand you can get away with 15, but 20 gives you a much smoother threshold and the SAME practical depth.

2) Right this minute, "Discriminating Pulse Induction" is lipstick on a pig, marketing hype.

3) Despite all the bells and whistles, all the "new" technology, not one of these machines can do a better job than the Sand Shark, and NONE of them are gauranteed for life.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well how many lies can one man come up with in one thread.

Thirty years of discriminating pulse machines from various manufacturers and suddenly its marketing hype. Get out more.

Not one of "these" machines can do a better job than the Sand Shark. Sand Shark is a low power medium depth machine.

The u.S., what did you call it, "con". Funny that several pulse designers refer to it as one of the holy grails of pulse detecting trying to get down as low as possible below 10 whilst avoiding field collapse. Low equals sensitivity and best for wet sand and wading. Depth requires high. Get over to Nasa Tom's site and read up on a beach lighting up when the lowest settings are used. Or a good goldhunting forum discussion on finding "invisable gold" and thread gold.

The there's the fact that so much was made of the SS ability to use 10.5", 7", 10" elliptical coils. O nearly forgot the Cleansweep, rather heavy compared to the Applied Creations light versions as it weighed in at 1.8 lbs. What do you do now, buy several Sandsharks ?

Must not forget the processor rubbish either. Not the only P.I. with a processor for one thing and what's the claim ? "reduces the need for retuning". Look at my post today on the 1980's C400 pulse....no retuning needed as with the majority of P.I.'s built since. Also had VCO pinpointing a generation before the Tesoro.

Still the answer has been pointed out to me in a loads of e-mails. Tesoro sponsor you !

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well how many lies can one man come up with in one thread.

Thirty years of discriminating pulse machines from various manufacturers and suddenly its marketing hype. Get out more.

Not one of "these" machines can do a better job than the Sand Shark. Sand Shark is a low power medium depth machine.

The u.S., what did you call it, "con". Funny that several pulse designers refer to it as one of the holy grails of pulse detecting trying to get down as low as possible below 10 whilst avoiding field collapse. Low equals sensitivity and best for wet sand and wading. Depth requires high. Get over to Nasa Tom's site and read up on a beach lighting up when the lowest settings are used. Or a good goldhunting forum discussion on finding "invisable gold" and thread gold.

The there's the fact that so much was made of the SS ability to use 10.5", 7", 10" elliptical coils. O nearly forgot the Cleansweep, rather heavy compared to the Applied Creations light versions as it weighed in at 1.8 lbs. What do you do now, buy several Sandsharks ?

Must not forget the processor rubbish either. Not the only P.I. with a processor for one thing and what's the claim ? "reduces the need for retuning". Look at my post today on the 1980's C400 pulse....no retuning needed as with the majority of P.I.'s built since. Also had VCO pinpointing a generation before the Tesoro.

Still the answer has been pointed out to me in a loads of e-mails. Tesoro sponsor you !

Gibberish. Pure and simple blather. You bring ANY dedicated water pi with you, and you won't find ANYTHING in the saltwater or wet saltwater sand that I won't find with my Tesoro Sand Shark - End of Story. Technical mumbo-jumbo, opinion and attitude are moot.

PS - Tesoro WAS a sponsor of Arizona Gold Adventures, our gold prospecting school, from 2009-2011. We were PROUD to finally land the finest American metal detector manufacturer, and Arizona icon - as our first equipment sponsor. While AGA no longer has a contract with Tesoro, we are still very proud to say we use and teach the Lobo Super Traq, as our exclusive VLF gold nugget hunter in Arizona and Alaska.

Vince Gifford, and Rusty Henry, are my friends, not my "sponsors." I know them both, and I know the Americans that answer the phones, build the coils, make the boards, put them together and test them at the Prescott factory. I've talked to them, watched them do their jobs with expert skill and personal pride. I am not being paid or compensated in ANY WAY, to promote Tesoro. I promote products that WORK.

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Brian,
There is a saying in my country, "In washing a donkeys head you only loose water and sope". You can't argue with the fact that "tesoros MD are THE BEST metal detectors in the world", you cant argue that because who ever owns a tesoro will tell you that he finds more gold with them than with any other detector out there. You can't argue that since we poor fellows that use VID detectors don't want to dig holes like moles, so we "might" pass over good targhets and not dig'em up since our screen told us that the targhet was trash and we trusted our machine, while a Tesoro has no idea on the difference between a good signal and a good trash signal... so you end up digging every signal that sounds good and there might be some good gold ring there.
We are the ones that should start selling our too expensive machines and go back to single tone screenless machines because they are better, technology has not made any progress, and if you think that a Whites V3i or a Minelabs 3030 is a better detector than a tesoro cibolla then think again.... you are waisting your money, Period.

I think that this whole thread was a real proof of what I am saying. I had a tesoro detector and I must have had my eyes blind folded when I considered it the biggest piece of junk that I have ever hold in my hands. I still don't understand why the guy that I sold it to (no names) is trying to trade it with anything, I think he would trade it with a dowsing stick if he could but he hasn't found anyone "smart" enough to give him a good detector in trade of that great tesoro.

So Brian let's end this pointless discussion. Let's all sale our Hi-Tek mumbo-jumbo detectors, go and buy a Compadre, and start finding those precious finds that only tesoro can make us find.

P.S. I am in "NO WAY" biased or sponsored by Tesoro Metal detectors (the best detectors in the world).... :notworthy:

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont care about silver , It will Never pay my Bills. Even a GPX 5000 makes Elephant hunters (Nat lrge Nuggets) dig Copper Bullet here & there and they're $5000.00 so Anyone that thinks a $1200.oo VLF detector has better conductance Than a PI with Monoloop for I.D.'ing good Targets (i.e. Gold) has to hunt PURELY for fun only , I cant afford to Drive many miles of backcountry to find buffalo Nickels . At least Gold rings at Beach & Infinium will blow away bout anything there.
I Still say Hours of learning a Deep Seeking Detector with Tones in Ears will produce the SmartFinds. Ken~Digs

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont care about silver , It will Never pay my Bills. Even a GPX 5000 makes Elephant hunters (Nat lrge Nuggets) dig Copper Bullet here & there and they're $5000.00 so Anyone that thinks a $1200.oo VLF detector has better conductance Than a PI with Monoloop for I.D.'ing good Targets (i.e. Gold) has to hunt PURELY for fun only , I cant afford to Drive many miles of backcountry to find buffalo Nickels . At least Gold rings at Beach & Infinium will blow away bout anything there.
I Still say Hours of learning a Deep Seeking Detector with Tones in Ears will produce the SmartFinds. Ken~Digs
And ..Ken.. what do you use for gold from what i understand you use the Infinium for beach and nugget hunting ... Right .? or wrong ?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hi
The Tesoro Toltec II has a meter and that is what helps me to find more gold trinkets...but its the sound first...might be 1 tone machine ,but there is a vast difference in the single tone is amazing if you listen,but thats analog .An indian head penny just a beepclick sound on the meter junk...gold soft sound on the meter junk...pulltabs very sharp sound on the meter junk...foil soft/sharp sound junk on the meter...silver mello sharp sound and silver on the meter.
No the Tesoro is not my fav.detector i don`t have a brand i like more that another.In 40 years of MDing i have used so many i lose count,but i do favor a detector that has VID.
Jovan all the top names brands are worth looking into hope you can find a Tesoro that fits your hunting needs....i have red this thread and i still don`t think you got the answer cuz there isn`t one.
I just got a new Detector this spring and i think it may have been a mistake for my area,so you may make 1or 2 over the years,remember they all find metal,you have to master the machine and have fun doing it.
The people for the Tesoro seem to be in the U.S.A. and the people that think it`s not up to par are from other shores maybe that`s it interesting.HH
Gary G.A.P.metal

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..So Brian let's end this pointless discussion. Let's all sale our Hi-Tek mumbo-jumbo detectors, go and buy a Compadre, and start finding those precious finds that only tesoro can make us find.

P.S. I am in "NO WAY" biased or sponsored by Tesoro Metal detectors (the best detectors in the world).... :notworthy:

Amen! :laughing7:

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Keppy, Yes i use Finny for Prospecting and All water work, Lobo is always with me for it's strongpoints & Pinpointig after close enuf to Target after digging once target is closer. The PI is turned off when that's the case. The reason i got the Infinium is because it's the most versatile PI for the $ & it goes deep (I use the 11 x 14" monoloop but in hot ground, i wish I had the DD last week.) If I had the $ when I started, i would have bought a minelab for land & Sandshark for Sea , now that I've put quite a Bit of time on Both of these (I-LS & L-ST), Neither one are leaving my possesion - they do their Jobs Well, anything Else is my lack of expertise ~ which is ongoing. The Toltek is a Very Cool machine as well. The only detector I will add will be Minelab for Big-Deep Nuggets. From what I understand , the Sandshark is about as Deep as an Excalibur for 1/2 the price and Terry Does know what he's Talking about & I've only known him here at forum for a Month or 2 . His Finds Back his play as well. Anybody who spends time in Arizona hunting Gold is (or Mojave Desert) is going to learn Real Quick about what works & what Doesn't, believe me - Az. is the Real Deal - the only coins I care about there is Gold from caches or Miners pokes, etc. There are lots of mining ruins there as well. Ken

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, this thread is a mess.

I will say that Tesoro has some fine detectors but most importantly, IT'S THE PERSON USING IT.

It gets pretty tiring reading all the hype, arguments, and put downs when I know without a doubt that it's who's behind that detector.

After years of hearing "You better get a top of the line detector if you want to hunt in England," I'm gonna save up and one day go down there with just a big azz screwdriver, a ratty pouch, and an old 1266X (or maybe a silver u-max) and show y'all how many goodies I'll find with a low end detector.

I've out hunted every type of detector not because my machine is the best but because I'M HARDCORE!

These brand wars make me laugh my arse off!:laughing7:

I don't care how fancy your VDI's are, my rule......THE MORE YOU DIG THE MORE YOU GET will always trump the latest and greatest.

If you think that your miracle machine will accurately tell what's going on in the ground every time then keep on dreaming.

I'm a machine. The detector is only an extension. I find more than most just from eye-balling or sifting!

No, too much emphasis on the detectors and not enough on the individual.

If you only have a few hundred dollars, then buy a Tesoro. They are good beep and dig machines with a lifetime warranty.

Most importantly, develop a good work ethic, enhance your skills and pay attention to the millions of variables that occur in the ground.

Take it from someone who has excelled in hunted out sites. Not because I was using new technology but because I was using a NEW MINDSET!:headbang:

Cheers,
Dave.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Keppy, Yes i use Finny for Prospecting and All water work, Lobo is always with me for it's strongpoints & Pinpointig after close enuf to Target after digging once target is closer. The PI is turned off when that's the case. The reason i got the Infinium is because it's the most versatile PI for the $ & it goes deep (I use the 11 x 14" monoloop but in hot ground, i wish I had the DD last week.) If I had the $ when I started, i would have bought a minelab for land & Sandshark for Sea , now that I've put quite a Bit of time on Both of these (I-LS & L-ST), Neither one are leaving my possesion - they do their Jobs Well, anything Else is my lack of expertise ~ which is ongoing. The Toltek is a Very Cool machine as well. The only detector I will add will be Minelab for Big-Deep Nuggets. From what I understand , the Sandshark is about as Deep as an Excalibur for 1/2 the price and Terry Does know what he's Talking about & I've only known him here at forum for a Month or 2 . His Finds Back his play as well. Anybody who spends time in Arizona hunting Gold is (or Mojave Desert) is going to learn Real Quick about what works & what Doesn't, believe me - Az. is the Real Deal - the only coins I care about there is Gold from caches or Miners pokes, etc. There are lots of mining ruins there as well. Ken
OK..Ken .. I got it stright now >>:icon_thumleft:

Bobby Holland

Greenie
Feb 20, 2011
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not what you got, but how you use what you got.
Me, I own just one detector, Tesoro Cibola. It works just fine for my hunting. I find more targets than I want to dig.
To each his own. Good luck with what ever you use.:icon_thumleft:

toml2273

Apr 21, 2008
Portland
Detector(s) used
White's V3i with all the standard coils except the 12 inch one. Wireless headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What like some info abot these detectors nd what makes them so great. Also compared to VDI display detectors. thanks

First let me qualify my answer, I have been detecting since 1956. I started with aWWII tubed detector that weighed 35 Lbs without batteries. Over the years, I have owned several that I designed and used, 3-Compass, 2-Whites, 1-Fisher,2-Garretts, 2-Minelabs and 5 different Tesoro detectors, not in that order, and several different MFG's at the same time. All were the latest and greatest at the time. Some had meters, some had only a speaker some showed what was suppose to be in the ground with a digital display. Some were BFO’s, T/R’s and VFL’s
The mainthing I found was it really did not manner what the indicators the detector had. What really mattered was I had to learn how the detector reacted to different targets and how to use the features of each detector to their maximum. If you do not know the detector, how it works, how to use the features it has, or how it reacts to the different targets, then the detector is basically not going to find many keepers. You will be leaving good targets for others who know their detectors and how to use them and digging a lot of trash. I am not saying the newer features some of the newer detectors have are notgood or not needed. Technology is always advancing and some of the features the newer detectors have is great. That is the reason I kept trading up. However, the more features, the more you will have to learn to use.
One thing I did find was is the detector must have a variable discriminator with reject/accept settings, a manual or adjustable ground balance control and be able to distinguish a good target amongst the trash. Yes, it would be nice if it told you what the target is so you do not have to dig trash, however many targets will give you the same indications with a meter, digital display or just a speaker.
I now have a major brand Detector that has ALL the bells and whistles, however, I am still learning its capabilities and how to use them and I know I will continue to learn what the detector is capable of. Even with those bells and whistles, I have found a piece of foil instead of the gold ring that was indicated by the number and visual icon on the display. As I said, I am still learning the detector. I have left a few good targets for a friend going right behind me. It was not because his detector was any better than mine, in fact his detector had several less features as mine. He has used his longer than I have mine, and knows more about how it works. That gave him the advantage in finding the targets I missed.
As faras the Tesoro’s go, I wish I had kept a couple I had. I found them to be one of the best detectors I have used. Why did I get rid of them? I was more or less enticed by a detector that had a few more features than the Tesoro I had. The Tesoro was easer to use. Was the newer detector better? Only after I learned how to use it. Did I find more good targets than with the Tesoro? I do not know. I do know, once I knew how theTesoro worked and what it was telling me, I was detecting good targets others were passing by with fancier more expensive detectors.
I highly recommend a Tesoro just as much as White’s, Minelab or others. However, I have learned to stay with the major brand detectors. Yes, a Tesoro is considered a major brand by many, including myself. I got rid of the Bounty hunter after amonth and have never owned or would own another.
When someone asks what brand to get, and what features it should have? I answer, a major brand with the features you can afford. Be it a Tesoro, White’s, Minelab or others.
Toml2273

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good reply Tom..!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that Terry didn't seem to keen on Tesoro before they came up with some money. Whilst away on holiday the e-mails continued to roll in. Terry certainly has upset lots of people with his changes of views on the "best" machines.
Now lets see what he says above "we use the Lobo Super Traq as our exclusive gold nugget hunter". Why buy a GPX then ? Could it be that he doesn't think that much of the Lobo.
Post by Rod may 24th 2009 (AZ Gold Pros.com)....

"Extensively used all 3 models, GMT (still have one, Super Traq and Gold Bug 2). In my opinion the Super Traq is the least of the three suitable for gold hunting. In fact I can't think of a situation where I would purposely prefer the Super Traq over the GB2 or GMT".
Guess he really didn't think much of it but then thats only one man's opinion or is it ?
Terry Soloman replies "Great Post Rod !!!"

As with there being "no discriminating P.I.'s" when Terry's friends say there are he doesn't disagree. Perhaps he thinks there's more guillible people here and he can get away with more.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting that Terry didn't seem to keen on Tesoro before they came up with some money. Whilst away on holiday the e-mails continued to roll in. Terry certainly has upset lots of people with his changes of views on the "best" machines.
Now lets see what he says above "we use the Lobo Super Traq as our exclusive gold nugget hunter". Why buy a GPX then ? Could it be that he doesn't think that much of the Lobo.
Post by Rod may 24th 2009 (AZ Gold Pros.com)....

Very interseting Brian, but completely out of context. I own both Minelab GPX machines and Tesoro Lobo's because the two machines are used differently. One is used for small, sub-gram gold found at 2"-8" in depth, while the GPX is used for larger, deeper gold (up to 40" deep). If you were a gold prospector you would know this already.

..."Extensively used all 3 models, GMT (still have one, Super Traq and Gold Bug 2). In my opinion the Super Traq is the least of the three suitable for gold hunting. In fact I can't think of a situation where I would purposely prefer the Super Traq over the GB2 or GMT".
Guess he really didn't think much of it but then thats only one man's opinion or is it ?
Terry Soloman replies "Great Post Rod !!!"..

Once again not the actual post, and twisted around by you to be completely out of context. In America, we call this "making stuff up."

...As with there being "no discriminating P.I.'s" when Terry's friends say there are he doesn't disagree. Perhaps he thinks there's more guillible people here and he can get away with more.

More rambling opinion? Seriously Brian, get a new hobby. If you want to take up "Terry Bashing," you need to get in line and learn a little more from the pro's! Heck, I've been more insulted by a Fifth-grader! :laughing7: You make it very easy for me when you expose yourself and your personal dislike of me and Tesoro like this Brian. It makes it Crystal Clear that you are just another angry old guy that knows more than anyone else.

Here is what I know. Tesoro is the only metal detector manufacturer on planet Earth, that gives a LIFETIME warranty on their machines. Wonder why that is Brian? I don't.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO the shame is that most manufacturers now longer carry a high-quality, general purpose, audio only detector. With it's wide variety of audio-only detector, Tesoro is filling a die-hard portion of the metal detecting population.

I bought my Tesoro used over 13 years ago because everybody else had the same metal detector brand at my first competition hunt. The interference was horrible. I didn't have that problem at my second hunt. Over the years I kept finding myself reaching for my Tesoro over my ID machines probably 9/10 times.

Yes, I do have an ID machine, in fact I've gone through several ID machines since I bought my Tesoro. I tend to use ID machines where I'm looking for clad and don't feel like messing with junk and at high junk locations to try to limit the junk I'm digging without having to use high discrimination.

One thing I have found is that I take less time deciding to dig a Target with my Tesoro. With most ID machines I spent extra time watching the cursor jump all over the place while it tries to decide what the item is. Usually this happens with non-coin items, but every once it a while it won't be able to decide if it's a zincoln or a pull tab.

The one thing that made me a die-hard Tesoro fan is their service. When I sent my machine in, I told them I was not the original owner. They fixed it and didn't charge me a dime. I was floored. I deal with vendor repair all the time on my job, and Tesoro service was the best I'd encountered in a long time. (I work on medical equipment.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread