Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Tesoro metal detectors?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Guys let's all sell our expensive detectors and go out and buy tesoros... they have to be better... Why spend 2000+ for a Minelabs 3030... or 1700 on a V3i when with a vaquero we can all do better?

I don't want to say that they aren't good detectors, I can't tell since I just owned ONE and I disliked it in every sense. They might be good but to consider them the BEST out there is just not my opinion. Now fortunately enough opinions are very personal and each one has one.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by U.K. Brian View Post
    Directly anyone starts to lose an arguement they move the goalposts. No one ever said Tesoro detectors are toys just that they are lagging behind. They fell behind several years back and Arizona Al who was a dealer for Tesoro warned of what was happening with just a few slight tweaks to the latest designs. Don't know if his words had any effect but they did follow up with new models the next year.

Now to get down to facts. Tesoro has not improved its pulse as just about every other pulse manufacturer has, it has gone backwards in hardwiring the coils (Detector Pro improved hardwear, C-Scope, lighter, cheap and a processor, Whites with ground balancing models and the DF coils plus gain and pulse delay controls on the D.F., rather than just one or the other, hoard hunting models have been improved and the coil ranges extended to allow searching for individual coins not just large objects, plus pulse discrimination by hybrid designs or the addition of magnetometer coils). Most manufacturers have worked to reduce pulse delay times because for a sensitive P.I. you need the ability to be able to turn off the current pulse as soon as possible to induce a high voltage spike (can be as much as 400 volts) and then get back as near to zero volts in just a few microseconds.

As for the general range of detectors, recovery speed is why people bought the XP Goldmaxx, Power and now the Deus which are all rather expensive machines. If they wanted an American brand in the past they would pick certain Compass models and today a Gold Bug SE Pro, Teknetics T2 or G2.

Lag behind and you lose sales. When I met up with Jack Gifford, who would come over to detect with Frank Mellish, his importer, every few years just about everyone had a Tesoro for plough soil detecting. Twenty years on and you see a fraction of the amount in use. Doubt if I could buy a Sand Shark except by special order because the sales are just not there for a dealer.

As for my working for a manufacturer or being a dealer unfortunately not, though Garrett users suggest I work for Minelab, Minelab for Fisher etc. I detect for a living and to do that you need to use the best, not one brand whatever it is.
    OK Brian, I can see you have "taken off the gloves" and you are looking for a throw down (I know you're old and English so I'll explain that "throw down," is American slang for "fight"). So let's dance!

What are you, 70? Wake up and smell today Brian. Your opinions do not trump facts. Tesoro sales have grown every year, let me type that a little more slowly for you - as I know an anglophile may have trouble comprehending the concept, Tesoro.. Sales.. Have.. Grown.. E-V-E-R-Y YEAR.. since 1982. Do the math Brian. Tesoro spends less money on branding and advertising than A-N-Y Other.. Major.. Metal.. Detector.. Manufacturer.. Why? Because they don't want to, or have to. Jack Gifford designs are copied and tweaked to this day. He worked on and tweaked many designs credited to others, including the Bounty Hunter Red Baron series.

You come across as just another "I know more, I am smarter than you, my detector is better than yours" bloviater, that spends more time on his computer telling me how wrong I am about everything than swinging his metal detector. Your dislike for Tesoro is as obivious as my appreciation for the brand, yet you won't tell us what- which I'm sure is a personal grudge, the problem between you and Tesoro REALLY is. Tsk, Tsk..

I have NEVER attacked a brand like you have Brian. I always state clearly, that I believe Tesoro VLF technology and machines are just as good or superior to ANY other single frequency VLF on the market today. Tell you what, as much as I dislike Englishmen, I will take you out personally deep into the central Arizona desert for some nuggetshooting, and we'll beat each other up verbally for a few hours while we swing for color. After all, a little gold in the poke beats a poke in the eye every time.

Next time you are in the States, seriously now, I'll take you gold huntin' with my GPX 5000, and Lobo Super Traq. Call me!
    Tee1up likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
    Guys let's all sell our expensive detectors and go out and buy tesoros... they have to be better... Why spend 2000+ for a Minelabs 3030... or 1700 on a V3i when with a vaquero we can all do better?...
    Interesting thought. Yesterday I was swinging a Tesoro Cibola, Angelika was hunting with an AT Pro, and Paul was using his CTX 3030. Paul and I both found about $8.00 in assorted clad (20-cents in zincolns). Pual got a silver Kennedy Half, a silver rosie, and a gorgous Sterling Silver ring with stones. Angelika scored about $3.60 in clad, and was disappointed at the numurous pennies she dug. I got the Nine-gram 14K ring at 6".

Now we ALL know an Ace 150, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2, Whites Coinmaster, yadda-yadda-yadda... could have detected a honking gold ring at 6" but - Yesterday, that Cibola outhunted the CTX 3030 by a nose!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hawthorne72112 003.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	656333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hawthorne72112 002.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	262.5 KB 
ID:	656334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00898-20120721-1135.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	656335  

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    ..Tesoro has not improved its pulse as just about every other pulse manufacturer has, it has gone backwards in hardwiring the coils (Detector Pro improved hardwear, C-Scope, lighter, cheap and a processor, Whites with ground balancing models and the DF coils plus gain and pulse delay controls on the D.F., rather than just one or the other, hoard hunting models have been improved and the coil ranges extended to allow searching for individual coins not just large objects, plus pulse discrimination by hybrid designs or the addition of magnetometer coils). Most manufacturers have worked to reduce pulse delay times because for a sensitive P.I. you need the ability to be able to turn off the current pulse as soon as possible to induce a high voltage spike (can be as much as 400 volts) and then get back as near to zero volts in just a few microseconds.
    I want to address this opinion, or theory, or whatever this is directly.

1) The current hardwired Tesoro Sand Shark performs just as well or better than ANY of the machines you referenced. It does so with a fixed pusle rate, set for maximun depth in ALL water hunting situations. The machine is designed as an IN WATER detector, rated to 200-feet. I don't care what machine you use, in five-feet of saltwater or deeper, you WILL be running a 20, not a 15. On the wet sand you can get away with 15, but 20 gives you a much smoother threshold and the SAME practical depth.

2) Right this minute, "Discriminating Pulse Induction" is lipstick on a pig, marketing hype.

3) Despite all the bells and whistles, all the "new" technology, not one of these machines can do a better job than the Sand Shark, and NONE of them are gauranteed for life.

Charter Member
    us
    Bill Jones

May 2007
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Multiple Tesoros and Whites
    270 times
    Metal Detecting
    As a loyal Tesoro fan I'd like to add one point concerning Id screens and/or other bells and whistles. Whether it's a no frills beep and dig Tesoro (or other) or a very expensive, every enhancement developed to date, all any of them do is indicate there is metal under the coil. Some may give a decent guess as to what that may be, but only by retrieving the target can one really know what it is. My point being, while bells and whistles are and can be nice, one can dig the same targets quite successfully with a very basic machine and have a lot of fun doing it.
    luvsdux
    DirtWarrior likes this.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    That is true but than again also PI machines tell you that there is metal down there and even deeper than the vlf ones. So since the theory is dig every single beep than why not get a PI machine Oh they don't have a discrimination ... That is right, and discrimination is A wild guess of what is down there... Same as a VID machine.
    Let's cut the BS any good VID machine can do whatever a Tesoro can do by just not watching the screen, PLUS it has a monitor in case you want to watch it.
    Even Tesoro has VID on the top of line... So They aren't tesoros They are bad machines? Just because a machine has or hasn't a screen doesn't mean the detector is good or bad, and we all know that if we dig it all than we might find more good stuff, but if you detect for six hours and have to dig 200 holes or in the same six hours you just dig 100 trusting that your $2000 detector costed you that much not just because it can do beep beep as the $300 one but because it has some serious engineering behind it that can save you the trouble and fatigue of digging up every single signal, than we see that VID detectors might have a sense in existing.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
    dirtscratcher and U.K. Brian like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Bedford, IN
    Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008 Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    After reading more about the Tesoro MD's I went looking to get one. I just bought a Tesoro Cibola off a local guy on Craigslist (got back not even an hour ago), he only used it to find his wife's wedding ring. He met me half way, driving distance, and only wanted $220 cash - looks brand new. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow
    Thomas - Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, Mod HF Cen-Tech PP -MDing Since 6-4-12
    -Number of Coins: 428 -Jewelry: 15 -Pull Tabs: 415 -Fun:100%

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    135 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Norbyx, I should not waste your time. You can't argue with nuts its as simple as that. I've already asked when they were running down VDI machines why Tesoro have always had one or two in their line up but no answer. As for the Sand Shark it got outdated plain and simple. You don't keep up and you find you can only sell to those who don't know better. There's dozens of P.I. machines from Britain, France, Germany, Poland, Bulgaria, Russia, even South Africa but of course you have to try them and if you have no friends and no money you can't.

May 2012
    3 times
    #1 - Tesoro got it right the years back on vlf & sandshark already (You dont NEED to FIX what's not broken. Thus they dont have to Overthink . Lobo with Correct Coil will Find ANY Target Any other VLF will find.

#2 - "So since the theory is dig every single beep than why not get a PI machine Oh they don't have a discrimination ... That is right, and discrimination is A wild guess of what is down there... Same as a VID machine". (Apparantly You've never heard of Infinium LS ~ Rev Disc. / Iron Check.) Because i prospect natural gold in high Min. Desert is why I have it (200 Submerged fully) is the Only reason I didn't buy a Sandshark. If and when I buy a gpx 4000 , Finny will be Beach & Backup Gold machine - Lobo will always be Companion/ Pinpointer to Either of those PI's for me.

#3 ~ I've Never Heard of a Bounty Hunter landing an Elephant Gold Nugget (but it could remotely Happen like when my Friend got out of Truck with GB2 and found a 34grm. near Goler 3" down in loose Sand.)

[#4 ~ To my experience so far ~ Ears, good grd track & threshold do me the best (I research extensively before i spend any Significant $.) I represent no Detector Company whatsoever. . . . .
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Language

us
    Mar 2009
    Columbia falls Montana
    Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
    390 times
    Norbyx said it right.I bought a vaq used it for two years dug alot of coins and alot of junk, but few old coins. Have since got an explorer now dig more silver coins on some days than two years with vaq. If your hunting where you can dig everthing like sand or wood chips I'll use one of my tesoroes but not in a private yard where trying dig as few hole as possible. Calling vid a wild guess tells me you have not spent time with an explorer in smartfind, very few suprises.
    U.K. Brian likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1351 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    This is why at times i say that the treasure fourms could drive you crazy...............Jovan421..... asked about Tesoro and now he has got to be all mixed up in his head.................some think they are great some don't care for them & and some say they are so so......... My self think they are a very good detector... Made right here in the USA ...........
    JOe L likes this.
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    135 times
    Ken why don't you and Terry mention the Sand Shark has gone backwards in the last few years ? Why say the Lobo or did you mean the Lobo Supertrac will compete with "all other VLF's" when it won't. Its primary roll was in gold hunting so sensitivity came well before depth. As for discriminating P.I.'s why didn't you argue the point with Terry when he said there's no discriminating P.I. ?

Keppy is quite right though. You should be able to ask a question. The answer (for most of the Tesoros's) is that they are light, cheap/good warranty (in the U.S.) and easy to use. Best performance/value for money, not any more. All Jovan has to do now is to visit a local detecting club and try a few detectors in his price range and then make his choice.
    JOe L and Keppy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ken why don't you and Terry mention the Sand Shark has gone backwards in the last few years ? Why say the Lobo or did you mean the Lobo Supertrac will compete with "all other VLF's" when it won't. Its primary roll was in gold hunting so sensitivity came well before depth. As for discriminating P.I.'s why didn't you argue the point with Terry when he said there's no discriminating P.I. ?

Keppy is quite right though. You should be able to ask a question. The answer (for most of the Tesoros's) is that they are light, cheap/good warranty (in the U.S.) and easy to use. Best performance/value for money, not any more. All Jovan has to do now is to visit a local detecting club and try a few detectors in his price range and then make his choice.
    Originally Posted by U.K. Brian
    ..Tesoro has not improved its pulse as just about every other pulse manufacturer has, it has gone backwards in hardwiring the coils (Detector Pro improved hardwear, C-Scope, lighter, cheap and a processor, Whites with ground balancing models and the DF coils plus gain and pulse delay controls on the D.F., rather than just one or the other, hoard hunting models have been improved and the coil ranges extended to allow searching for individual coins not just large objects, plus pulse discrimination by hybrid designs or the addition of magnetometer coils). Most manufacturers have worked to reduce pulse delay times because for a sensitive P.I. you need the ability to be able to turn off the current pulse as soon as possible to induce a high voltage spike (can be as much as 400 volts) and then get back as near to zero volts in just a few microseconds.<<<

I want to address this opinion, or theory, or whatever this is directly.

1) The current hardwired Tesoro Sand Shark performs just as well or better than ANY of the machines you referenced. It does so with a fixed pusle rate, set for maximun depth in ALL water hunting situations. The machine is designed as an IN WATER detector, rated to 200-feet. I don't care what machine you use, in five-feet of saltwater or deeper, you WILL be running a 20, not a 15. On the wet sand you can get away with 15, but 20 gives you a much smoother threshold and the SAME practical depth.

2) Right this minute, "Discriminating Pulse Induction" is lipstick on a pig, marketing hype.

3) Despite all the bells and whistles, all the "new" technology, not one of these machines can do a better job than the Sand Shark, and NONE of them are gauranteed for life.
    Tee1up and Keppy like this.

Oct 2005
    135 times
    Well how many lies can one man come up with in one thread.

Thirty years of discriminating pulse machines from various manufacturers and suddenly its marketing hype. Get out more.

Not one of "these" machines can do a better job than the Sand Shark. Sand Shark is a low power medium depth machine.

The u.S., what did you call it, "con". Funny that several pulse designers refer to it as one of the holy grails of pulse detecting trying to get down as low as possible below 10 whilst avoiding field collapse. Low equals sensitivity and best for wet sand and wading. Depth requires high. Get over to Nasa Tom's site and read up on a beach lighting up when the lowest settings are used. Or a good goldhunting forum discussion on finding "invisable gold" and thread gold.

The there's the fact that so much was made of the SS ability to use 10.5", 7", 10" elliptical coils. O nearly forgot the Cleansweep, rather heavy compared to the Applied Creations light versions as it weighed in at 1.8 lbs. What do you do now, buy several Sandsharks ?

Must not forget the processor rubbish either. Not the only P.I. with a processor for one thing and what's the claim ? "reduces the need for retuning". Look at my post today on the 1980's C400 pulse....no retuning needed as with the majority of P.I.'s built since. Also had VCO pinpointing a generation before the Tesoro.

Still the answer has been pointed out to me in a loads of e-mails. Tesoro sponsor you !
    DirtWarrior likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    3494 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well how many lies can one man come up with in one thread.

Thirty years of discriminating pulse machines from various manufacturers and suddenly its marketing hype. Get out more.

Not one of "these" machines can do a better job than the Sand Shark. Sand Shark is a low power medium depth machine.

The u.S., what did you call it, "con". Funny that several pulse designers refer to it as one of the holy grails of pulse detecting trying to get down as low as possible below 10 whilst avoiding field collapse. Low equals sensitivity and best for wet sand and wading. Depth requires high. Get over to Nasa Tom's site and read up on a beach lighting up when the lowest settings are used. Or a good goldhunting forum discussion on finding "invisable gold" and thread gold.

The there's the fact that so much was made of the SS ability to use 10.5", 7", 10" elliptical coils. O nearly forgot the Cleansweep, rather heavy compared to the Applied Creations light versions as it weighed in at 1.8 lbs. What do you do now, buy several Sandsharks ?

Must not forget the processor rubbish either. Not the only P.I. with a processor for one thing and what's the claim ? "reduces the need for retuning". Look at my post today on the 1980's C400 pulse....no retuning needed as with the majority of P.I.'s built since. Also had VCO pinpointing a generation before the Tesoro.

Still the answer has been pointed out to me in a loads of e-mails. Tesoro sponsor you !
    Gibberish. Pure and simple blather. You bring ANY dedicated water pi with you, and you won't find ANYTHING in the saltwater or wet saltwater sand that I won't find with my Tesoro Sand Shark - End of Story. Technical mumbo-jumbo, opinion and attitude are moot.

PS - Tesoro WAS a sponsor of Arizona Gold Adventures, our gold prospecting school, from 2009-2011. We were PROUD to finally land the finest American metal detector manufacturer, and Arizona icon - as our first equipment sponsor. While AGA no longer has a contract with Tesoro, we are still very proud to say we use and teach the Lobo Super Traq, as our exclusive VLF gold nugget hunter in Arizona and Alaska.

Vince Gifford, and Rusty Henry, are my friends, not my "sponsors." I know them both, and I know the Americans that answer the phones, build the coils, make the boards, put them together and test them at the Prescott factory. I've talked to them, watched them do their jobs with expert skill and personal pride. I am not being paid or compensated in ANY WAY, to promote Tesoro. I promote products that WORK.
    Last edited by Terry Soloman; Jul 30, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
    TerryC and Tee1up like this.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsors