Fisher F75 for gold

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone out there tell me some good setting for a F75, to find gold nuggets. I have a five inch coil. Headed to Douglas Creek, Wyoming this weekend. I have been messing around with the small pickers. And I cannot get my F75 to even make a noise.

It doesn't make a noise because the F-75 is not designed to find gold. Oh, it will find large nuggets like any detector will but not ones that are the most common. For most nugger hunters this means a Gold Bug, Super Lobo or GMT. Your just going to bite the bullet and buy another detector.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Wally, ya gotta use it in the autotune all metals mode. Sounds like you're either doing it in disc mode, or have the autotune mode set up wrong. And, Sandman (who is right about most stuff) is mistaken on this one: the F75 is designed to find gold, its all metals mode being virtually identical to that in the Teknetics T2 which is very popular in the African goldfields. The 5 inch searchcoil which you have, is the best searchcoil to use for most gold prospecting conditions.

Since you seem new to this, I highly recommend reading two pieces of Fisher literature: the user's manual (esp. all metals mode and ground balancing); and my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", available in .pdf format on both the Fisher and Teknetics websites.

You'll need a gold prospecting hand pick and/or hand rake, a plastic cup, and a good magnet. The tools may have magnets built in. These items and their use are explained in the book. You also have to be searching someplace where there is gold to be found and you won't get shot for trespassing, so unless you already know such a site I recommend joining the GPAA and gaining access to the club claims.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
W

wally62us

Wally, ya gotta use it in the autotune all metals mode. Sounds like you're either doing it in disc mode, or have the autotune mode set up wrong. And, Sandman (who is right about most stuff) is mistaken on this one: the F75 is designed to find gold, its all metals mode being virtually identical to that in the Teknetics T2 which is very popular in the African goldfields. The 5 inch searchcoil which you have, is the best searchcoil to use for most gold prospecting conditions.

Since you seem new to this, I highly recommend reading two pieces of Fisher literature: the user's manual (esp. all metals mode and ground balancing); and my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", available in .pdf format on both the Fisher and Teknetics websites.

You'll need a gold prospecting hand pick and/or hand rake, a plastic cup, and a good magnet. The tools may have magnets built in. These items and their use are explained in the book. You also have to be searching someplace where there is gold to be found and you won't get shot for trespassing, so unless you already know such a site I recommend joining the GPAA and gaining access to the club claims.

--Dave J.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am a member of the GPAA. And I am going to one of there claims in Douglas Creek, Wyoming. Just have always used a sluice and pan. So I figured I would bring the F75 along. I will take a look at the book. I can use all the help I can get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread