Metal Dector... For underwater and land...

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Minelab 3030??

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a how long is a piece of string question. Most of the problems with underwater detectors are down to user error added to bad design. You don't have to have batteries in a control box next to the circuit board as many of the more expensive have. Most Chinese, yes I know pretty bad, water machines have the battery pack in a seperate compartment so the important seal is never disturbed. Its just so easy to slightly twist or crush a seal as the detector case is closed, even a grain of sand could lead to a leak.

With "land" machines I've old ones that have never needed any work. Modern detectors seem less reliable but then there's so much more to go wrong. Now we have the chance of G.P.S. failure for the first time ! One thing I have noticed is that many of the modern slimline coil designs seem to go off tune after a few years.

Ignoring reliability, the best is what suits you and your sites best. If you sweep fast you had better get a detector that allows a faster sweep. A heavy/out of balance machine might go an inch or so deeper but if your going to stop detecting after a couple of hours due to arm or back problems then you will have more finds using a less deep detector that allows you to detect the full day out. Then there's the fact that whatever you spend some detectors suit some soil conditions far better than others. All I would suggest is that you up the odds of your detector working well by at least selecting one with a ground balance control. If it says automatic on the box it normally means fixed which is not good. Ground balance control also means that any size or type of coil is optimised to the detector each time you use it.

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont know if its the over all best water machine, but as far as dual purpose i love my at pro. i mainly relic hunt and she keeps up with the big dogs. for the price it is a great bargain. that minelab ctx looks like a beast though. if only my pockets were a little deeper :/

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really shouldn't even get into this conversation but!, The ATPro Is killin them for me.......jmho.........HH

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot will depend on what kind of detecting you plan on doing. My opinion is that White's and Minelab are top quality brands but others are close behind. I would recommend joining a local detecting club and poll the club members as to what works good in your area. You might even be able to borrow one to see how you like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread