whites 4900D

bigtruck68

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt * minelab sovereign xs * whites 6000 DI Pro * musketeer xs * xp deus* etrac*tesoro vaquero *
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello , ive just gotten into MD and are using an old whites 4900D , im still learning this machine and my question is how does this machine stack up against say a whites 6000DI PRO ? i have a chance to buy one but if it isnt going to really be an upgrade other than it has a meter, ill pass on the deal. As i said before im new to this so any info will be appreciated,

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a real step up. Its not just the case of a meter, the GEB Max mode is way deeper, in fact all modes are deeper but the Max mode is even better. I'm fairly certain they had introduced ground tracking by the time of the Pro and that deals with the problem of the lower range Whites of needing re ground balancing fairly often.
The 6000 Di Pro could be as old as 1986 or 87 so knocking on a bit. If its not a good price I would look at getting a later 5900 Pro/Pro SL which I found as good but cheaper than the 6000 range.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
There are always going to be better detectors out there (no matter what you bought, it will eventually be obsoleted). Take the time to learn on what you have. If after a year, you are still detecting regularly, you might look at getting an additional detector. Many people buy a detector and it ends up in a closet (or they keep buying 'better' detectors that they never make a real effort on learning how to use any of them, then blame the detector - and they all end up in closets).

Join a club to keep your energy focused and find a detector partner to go out with.

I have 7 detectors - they are all for different purposes (2 are to let people who have never detected before have something to try detecting with). I have a Whites 5900 - a lot of people tell me I should upgrade it, but I find it does what I expect of it when I use it. I mostly use my Whites GMT or Goldmaster VSat. Pinpointers are of questionable value for prospecting (fine for coin hunting), so I don't use one.

I don't look for coins (at least not intentionally) anymore.

Find what you want to detect for and learn how. I also find that displays often give you a false feeling that you know what is buried, and if you don't like the reading, it's ok not to dig. While a visual display is not a bad thing, I really don't find it all that useful. I tend to dig almost everything that sounds off. Its a great way to learn what your detector is telling you.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are good quality machines but both are also pretty dated. If you can get the 6000 at a fair price, I'd get that over the 4900. As mentioned, it will go a lot deeper and is more stable. If you just plan on finding fresh drops in dry sand at the beach, either one will do that just find. The meter just adds another way to help I.D. what you're about to dig.

OP
OP
bigtruck68

bigtruck68

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt * minelab sovereign xs * whites 6000 DI Pro * musketeer xs * xp deus* etrac*tesoro vaquero *
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you fellows consider a fair price ? i paid $150 for the 4900 and its mint ,only used a few times seems to work well, i was just thinking about something else coz my buddy uses a 5900 DI black box and seems to do a lot better then me, i still have a lot to learn though

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't fall for the "new is always better" line. The 5900 was more expensive so should do better than your model. If you had spent your $150 on a brand new detector it might well perform less well than your older machine. The problem is you are talking rather old circuitry (not technology) and electronics do suffer over time.
If you have a set sum and the choice is either a low range new detector or near top of range older one (I'm talking few years, even several, not twenty or thirty) then the older detector should still kill the new one. Might consume more batteries or be heavier and the recovery speed will be slower but there's not really been other "none gimmick" breakthroughs.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
There are always going to be better detectors out there (no matter what you bought, it will eventually be obsoleted). Take the time to learn on what you have. If after a year, you are still detecting regularly, you might look at getting an additional detector. Many people buy a detector and it ends up in a closet (or they keep buying 'better' detectors that they never make a real effort on learning how to use any of them, then blame the detector - and they all end up in closets).

I agree that it one has to learn their machine, and learn it well. The 4900, 5900, 6000 are all very capable machines, if you know what they are telling you. If you don't know what they are telling you, none of them are worth anything. You got a good deal on the 4900 .. stick with it, learn it, learn to know what every snap, crackle, and pop are trying to convey. You should do well with it. Have fun and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread