Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old Parks

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2012
    14 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Old Parks

Hi I have been doing some research and have found 4 parks in the same town that date back to 1885. I know some people say that in an older place that you should dig everything, but what about a park that has been in continuos use since 1885. Do I still dig everything? Or just the deep signals? I have an Ace 250 and I'm into looking for older coins/tokens so any advice would help!

Thanks

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    714 times
    tectin crap
    Dont fuss over digging anything good and old. Those parks are hammered out I am sure, its tough to find old coins, but not impossible. So just dig everything, its the best approach nowadays. Old parks notwithstanding.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Www.youtube.com/kshollywood

Jul 2010
    Flowood,ms
    Whites VX3, whites DFX
    116 times
    Relic Hunting
    A park is NEVER EVER EMPTY!!! You just have to think outside the box. Hunt places that are hard to get to, hunt the outside edge of the parks, hunt from one corner to the next( north corner to south corner, then east corner to west corner) go really slow and overlap every swing, dig everything up and take everything with you so in the future there is more "good targets " in the ground. Turn your sensitivity up until you hear chatter then back off one step at a time until the chatter goes away. NEVER jump up and down and scream when you find something good. If someone walks up to you and asks if you found anything good ALWAYS say nope!!! Good luck and I hope you find a lot of great treasure!!!

Jun 2012
    14 times
    Only the repeating signals though right?

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    714 times
    tectin crap
    Just dig em all, even the iffy ones. That way, the park will surely be cleaned out of the last remaining good old coins and goodies. Forever.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT300 D2, 950, 6X10 DD, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    190 times
    I have a few parks like that old but still in use on my MXT I listen for the deep faint signals and only dig those or some of these places your time would be wasted digging alot of clad plus the trash you always dig. Unless its just 6 or 7" then if its perfect VDI I dig it but have pulled deep silver dimes,wheats, and a couple IH's from well pounded parks its just places like this sometimes your not going to find silver as sometimes I only get a wheat or two.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6025 times
    on occasion those iffy, & Obvious junk sounds can be big surprises.

My suggestion is always "Dig everything"

don't forget areas of the park
    that look like they have been grown up for the past 50 years.
    those areas have scared detectorists away for the past 50 years

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1820 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianHead97 View Post
    Hi I have been doing some research and have found 4 parks in the same town that date back to 1885. I know some people say that in an older place that you should dig everything, but what about a park that has been in continuos use since 1885. Do I still dig everything? Or just the deep signals? I have an Ace 250 and I'm into looking for older coins/tokens so any advice would help!

Thanks
    Hey Indian head97, I notice that you say you're looking for "coins/tokens". As such, you know that most of them are mid conductors and higher, on the TID scale (assuming not masked, etc....). This is true even for gold coins (of $5 denomination and higher, anyhow). The only exception therefore, is going to be nickels (of which seem to always come out of the ground worthlessly corroded, and very few have numismatically good dates anyhow). Thus if you really, as you say, want to increase your odds at coins (verses being a hero digging junk to get nickels and gold rings), then I would do as wingmaster says: Be a little selective. Only go for the deeper sounds (which tend to be the older targets, afterall). Skip the shallow clad and junk sounds. Heck, I'd even go a little pickier, and even only chase the mid to high conductors (electing to pass the low conductors, even if deep), in junky parks.

Sure you can be a hero and "dig all" as gleaner1, kshollywood, and jeff of PA say. And sure, you'll eventually bag a few orange corroded buffalos or V's to add your collection. Heck, even a gold ring now and then.

But here's what will happen if you do the "hero" route of "digging all" in junky parks: You will end the day with 50+ pieces of trash (shallow foil, tabs, corroded zinc, clad, etc...), a single dateless buffalo or corroded V, 2 or 3 wheaties, a single silver, etc.... In other words, you spent all your time digging junk, when you COULD have honed in on only those signals which had more promise of being the very thing you were after: coins and tokens!

I have had this debate with persons I've hunted with, who BRISTLE at the thought of not digging all, in junky parks. In their mind, they think they are getting the "best of both worlds", by digging all. Ie.: all the deep coins PLUS gold and nickels. But it never works out this way in the end. They look with envy on my apron of 10 or 15 oldies, while they only have 2, and they perpetually wonder how come that is? The reason is, they spent all that time on their knees digging foil. Oh sure, eventually, as I say, they'll get that shallow item I passed, which admittedly could be something good. But Las Vegas odds tell you, that if old coins is what you're after, then "digging all" in junky urban parks, is not the recipe to increase the end-of-the-day count. If a person is that h*ll-bent on getting some gold jewelry, then if you ask me, why are they hunting junky parks to begin with? You ought to simply go to a swimming beach, if jewelry were your goal, to begin with. Much less junk, and digging is much easier in sand. Doh!

I have been in a park scrape (where they scraped off all the turf to prepare to install astro-turf), and we had the opportunity to treat it like "relic mode" (ie.: "dig all"), since the park (which dated to the 1870s, but is currently in a blighted district) was all torn up. I took the opportunity to save every single piece of metal I dug up, even the junk, for an entire week. At the end of the week, yes, I had about 3 or 4 pieces of gold jewelry, by the dig all method. But I'm not kidding that the junk ratio was about 200 to each single gold item. Simply not worth it, if it hadn't been a scraped park. And by the end of that week, I had perhaps 30 V nickels, buffalo nickels, etc.... All of the worthless orange cr*p, d/t nickels suffer the worst corrosion in some soil types. In the meantime, there were some nights during this project that we simply could not cover all the ground, before the tractors took away prime soil. It occured to me, when this was over, that my time would have been much better spent honing my time for silver and copper, as there were key date good shape silver coins showing up (and were right near SF, so most of the coins had the potential of being a good key date S mint ).

Anyhow, I side with the viewpoint of being a little selective in junky urban turfed parks, as you can tell
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Jul 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
    IndianHead97 likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1260 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    My view is taking a little from both camps. If you have limited detecting time, do as Tom suggests and go for the deep silver and copper. If you're retired and are going to hunt every day, I'd grid the park and dig everything that makes a noise. I've found some nice coins and jewelry that way as they were masked by surface/shallow junk. It's also a good way to learn what your detector is telling you.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA

Hey Indian head97, I notice that you say you're looking for "coins/tokens". As such, you know that most of them are mid conductors and higher, on the TID scale (assuming not masked, etc....). This is true even for gold coins (of $5 denomination and higher, anyhow). The only exception therefore, is going to be nickels (of which seem to always come out of the ground worthlessly corroded, and very few have numismatically good dates anyhow). Thus if you really, as you say, want to increase your odds at coins (verses being a hero digging junk to get nickels and gold rings), then I would do as wingmaster says: Be a little selective. Only go for the deeper sounds (which tend to be the older targets, afterall). Skip the shallow clad and junk sounds. Heck, I'd even go a little pickier, and even only chase the mid to high conductors (electing to pass the low conductors, even if deep), in junky parks.

Sure you can be a hero and "dig all" as gleaner1, kshollywood, and jeff of PA say. And sure, you'll eventually bag a few orange corroded buffalos or V's to add your collection. Heck, even a gold ring now and then.

But here's what will happen if you do the "hero" route of "digging all" in junky parks: You will end the day with 50+ pieces of trash (shallow foil, tabs, corroded zinc, clad, etc...), a single dateless buffalo or corroded V, 2 or 3 wheaties, a single silver, etc.... In other words, you spent all your time digging junk, when you COULD have honed in on only those signals which had more promise of being the very thing you were after: coins and tokens!

I have had this debate with persons I've hunted with, who BRISTLE at the thought of not digging all, in junky parks. In their mind, they think they are getting the "best of both worlds", by digging all. Ie.: all the deep coins PLUS gold and nickels. But it never works out this way in the end. They look with envy on my apron of 10 or 15 oldies, while they only have 2, and they perpetually wonder how come that is? The reason is, they spent all that time on their knees digging foil. Oh sure, eventually, as I say, they'll get that shallow item I passed, which admittedly could be something good. But Las Vegas odds tell you, that if old coins is what you're after, then "digging all" in junky urban parks, is not the recipe to increase the end-of-the-day count. If a person is that h*ll-bent on getting some gold jewelry, then if you ask me, why are they hunting junky parks to begin with? You ought to simply go to a swimming beach, if jewelry were your goal, to begin with. Much less junk, and digging is much easier in sand. Doh!

I have been in a park scrape (where they scraped off all the turf to prepare to install astro-turf), and we had the opportunity to treat it like "relic mode" (ie.: "dig all"), since the park (which dated to the 1870s, but is currently in a blighted district) was all torn up. I took the opportunity to save every single piece of metal I dug up, even the junk, for an entire week. At the end of the week, yes, I had about 3 or 4 pieces of gold jewelry, by the dig all method. But I'm not kidding that the junk ratio was about 200 to each single gold item. Simply not worth it, if it hadn't been a scraped park. And by the end of that week, I had perhaps 30 V nickels, buffalo nickels, etc.... All of the worthless orange cr*p, d/t nickels suffer the worst corrosion in some soil types. In the meantime, there were some nights during this project that we simply could not cover all the ground, before the tractors took away prime soil. It occured to me, when this was over, that my time would have been much better spent honing my time for silver and copper, as there were key date good shape silver coins showing up (and were right near SF, so most of the coins had the potential of being a good key date S mint ).

Anyhow, I side with the viewpoint of being a little selective in junky urban turfed parks, as you can tell

Looks like I am going to agree with Tom on this one. I say this for most of all the above and I am to lazy to dig up trash and clad. And yes I will miss some good stuff, I know. I am not much of a park hunter.

us
    Ray

Jul 2012
    New Orleans burb
    At-Pro, Fisher F2
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    on occasion those iffy, & Obvious junk sounds can be big surprises.

My suggestion is always "Dig everything"

don't forget areas of the park
    that look like they have been grown up for the past 50 years.
    those areas have scared detectorists away for the past 50 years
    Grown up 50 years? Any brush over 4-6 inchs I find is very difficult to hunt. Perhaps I'd have a bush hog.
    HH Ray

us
    Www.youtube.com/kshollywood

Jul 2010
    Flowood,ms
    Whites VX3, whites DFX
    116 times
    Relic Hunting
    Ok so one time I hit an old site that has been hunted a billion times from trespassers, now that I have permission to hunt it I put a fence up and have had 2 people arrested for trespassing, so with that being said I went back there a couple of weeks ago and I found an old skeleton key( 2") ringtail sharps(2") and a friend found a Indian head (1") in an area that was hunted to death. I hunted it a lot but just missed what was in the ground, so I always dig everything when I go because you never know if there is a good coin next to a big piece of junk that everyone else didn't dig because they where cherry picking!!

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6025 times
    Quote Originally Posted by New Orleans Relic View Post
    Grown up 50 years? Any brush over 4-6 inchs I find is very difficult to hunt. Perhaps I'd have a bush hog.
    HH Ray
    No I can't hunt tall grass either.

I Meant areas that have the type of Bushes you can swing your detector under, and in between.

Especially those painful Brier bushes, you can sometimes crawl in between.
    that is if you don't mind having to extract an occasional thorn from your
    arms or face,
    or get a good 5 - 10 second bleed goin' if your a Bleeder, or your face is
    important to you & those you talk to, you may want to avoid though.

Trust me most people do mind
    and for some reason it seems Briers are the only thing that grow in areas that had high
    foot traffic 50 to a hundred years ago
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jul 28, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

us
    Apr 2010
    Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
    10 times
    I'll take a good repeatable signal anyday and yes i am a "Dig it All" kind of person.
    rich battistoni

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    Marrero LA
    M6, golden sabre II (modded) F2
    12 times
    The old stuff is not always deep especially in highly rooted areas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors