Metal Detector for Civil War Relic Hunting

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
I can't find my 1235X Fisher....been twenty years since I used it. If I can't locate it what units should I consider for hunting relics? I would want something simple, with good depth and be able to discriminate. It doesn't have to be a new one as I don't want to shell out major bucks (only get to hunt once in a blue moon but I want a decent detector). Should I locate one of the older Fishers' or something else?

What models should I look at? What works well for you guys but is fairly simple to operate?

Thanks
JohnnyRebCSA

Upvote 0

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
How much do you want to spend ???

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
JohnnyRebCSA

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
Probably $350. A good used one is not out of the question for me. I won't get to go but maybe six or seven times a year but I want one that will do the job. Will be doing a lot of research and will drive around an hour one way so I want a good, reliable unit.

If I can come up with the one I have what do you think of that 1235X Fisher?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The fisher is a good detector but won't find those deep coins.... for $350 a tesoro is a good option, it is easy to set up and deep... there are good used ones in the price range you have...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Silver won't cut it either with similar depth to the Tiger Shark on larger items. The Tejon at its greater cost can give around 8 inches more depth. I like the Nautilus DMC's but not exactly a switch on and go detector. You could look around for a secondhand Golden Mask. The Mk 1's can be picked up pretty cheap.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the point was made that he didn't want to spend a lot of money and was gonna use it once in a while, since the silver umax doesn't have that much of a learning curve and wasn't going to use it all the time the silver would be a detector for him, he doesn't need the tejon or ones with greater cost, read the post Brian.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 12XX's are great for relics.
I use a 1266x with a 12" spider and haven't felt even a slight need to 'upgrade' to another relic machine. I actually bought a spare here on TN a while back.
Hauling it to Chattanooga this August for a poke around a privately owned CW battlesite.

I'd say just locate the 1235 and run. Whoever said they "can't locate deep coins" is wrong.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Relics typically aren't coins. They are all manner of random sizes and materials. They often are larger than coins and can be easier to detect. Lead bullets (mini-ball, etc.) can be harder to find because they are on the low end of the conductivity range, but most modern detectors will work well looking for relics. If you have a VDI, you pretty much have to ignore it and dig anything you get a signal on - this is because you really have no idea what you are looking for or what you might find. Hunting for relics requires a different approach since, unlike coin shooting, you are not looking for places people might congregate, but rather, you need to grid off areas and do a general search of an entire area before moving on. Take good records and use a GPS to keep track of where you are (most smart phones have apps that can be used for this purpose), so you can return if you need to, and also know exactly where you hunted if you were not able to completely search an area.

Expect to dig a lot of trash.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hunting for relics requires a different approach since, unlike coin shooting, you are not looking for places people might congregate

Yep. Very important point. Relic hunting (especially CW/Battlefield relic hunting) is as much about research as it is swinging a coil.

Think outside the path of least resistance.

OP
OP
JohnnyRebCSA

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
I did extensive research (OR's, regimental histories, diaries, other books and personal interviews with farmers, etc.) back in the 80's when detecting at Mill Springs, Ky and in the Confederate camp about five miles away. You are right.....one must prepare as much as possible.

Been a while since I have done this and wondered what I might need to look at, detector wise, if I must buy one. So, the older Fishers are still popular for relic hunting?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So, the older Fishers are still popular for relic hunting?

They're legendary for relics. They have a strong appetite for iron.
Any time a 1266x pops up on ebay, it commands pretty significant interest which cannot be said for most older machines.

I can afford any MD I want yet my 1266x (and its spare) are the #1 pick for relics.

As noted, my trip to Chattanooga later this summer involves bringing two machines.
A 1266x and another 1266x in case the first one breaks :laughing7:

The 1235 is a slightly older version of the 1266x, as an all purpose machine it's probably worth upgrading but for CW relics where you should be hunting with no disc? Don't worry. It's fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnnyRebCSA

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
Thanks for the replies. I bought the 1235X after the detector I had bit the dust. Can't remember the name of it but it was made in Ireland and went super deep.....edit it is an Information Technology C400. Used 'D' batteries. I once found an old skeleton key 2' deep. If anyone knows where I could get it repaired I would appreciate a lead.

Found minie balls at Mill Springs that all the other detectors could not pick up. In the camp of the 15th Mississippi it drove me nuts. All the camp fire areas would make it sing out like an artillery shell was there. Would dig and dig with all those false signals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnnyRebCSA

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
Well, I found my detector.....still in the bag with the earphones and, yes, I had removed the batteries! Just to show you how long it has been....it wasn't a 1235X as I had remembered....it is a 1266X.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread