Where to detect in Maryland (other than Balto. County parks)

JimH

Jul 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I received a response from the Baltimore County, Maryland office of parks and recreations on obtaining a Metal detecting permit. Along with the permit, there are several restrictions that make it impossible to detect to any degree of success. Case in point, ownership of anything discovered belongs to the county, and must be declared. Also, areas to detect in, and depth of discovery is also limited. Not much incentive, huh?

Any of my fellow Marylanders able to provide advise on which counties allow metal detecting in parks without so many restrictive limitations? I'm assuming that all beaches, and waterways are allowed??

Thanks in advanced,
JimH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yesterday, I received a response from the Baltimore County, Maryland office of parks and recreations on obtaining a Metal detecting permit. Along with the permit, there are several restrictions that make it impossible to detect to any degree of success. Case in point, ownership of anything discovered belongs to the county, and must be declared. Also, areas to detect in, and depth of discovery is also limited. Not much incentive, huh?

Any of my fellow Marylanders able to provide advise on which counties allow metal detecting in parks without so many restrictive limitations? I'm assuming that all beaches, and waterways are allowed??

Thanks in advanced,
JimH

Jim, I can't help you with any alternative areas to hunt, as I'm in CA. But perhaps simply any city owned parks, where no such restrictions or permits exist (ie.: silent on the issue, and nothing on the books either way). To determine if there's any rules in towns/cities around there, seems you could just look on their website (as most every municipal entity nowadays has a website). And on there, should somewhere be a listing of municipal codes, park rules, etc.... If you see no specific prohibition, then presto, go for it :) No need to ask further.

But in the meantime, your reading of the minutia in the county "permit" is VERY telling! Because you see, whenever posts about potential rules (entities considering, or implementing "no detecting" rules) comes up, the knee-jerk reaction amongst md'rs on those threads, is always "we need to fight this, make a solidarity", and they suggest that a "permit" (like a fishing license or whatever) would be a GREAT idea for these cities, counties, or states to consider, as an alternative to prohibitions. At first glance, it sounds like a great idea, right? I mean ... who can argue with "permits"? Afterall, you just whip that puppy out if anyone gripes, and they leave you alone .... RIGHT? But your experience shows that permits for md'ing rarely EVER bring "more" freedoms. Instead they bring more restrictions, to the point of silliness. And then every year thereafter, it's simply a "bullseye" for some archie to gripe "why are we issuing permits that allow these md'rs to rape our history?"

So whenever I hear someone gleefully suggest we should pre-emptively approach our city personell and councilmen with suggestions they implement "permits", you can see from your situation that all it does is end up limiting us, or result in outright no's.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet I would turn anything in I found to the county

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I use to have a Balto. County permit and you know I hunted those parks for years and never once got stoped by the law. Does that tell you something. Now there is the remains of an old castle at Loch Raven res. and that is city property. I have been there several times and never seen the law there. It is a recreation area and is not posted against MD. Bel Air parks are open to detect. Maryland State parks are esentally closed to detecting. Harford Co. parks require permission from each park manager. Your best bet is yard hunting. You can kind of build up a repretation and use as an in for your next yard. I use a picture of a house in town surrounded with finds. It works great.

hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JimH

Jul 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn - thanks for the update. I appreciate the quick feedback.

Jim

OP
OP
J

JimH

Jul 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn- since your last response regarding Loch Raven, I've done some more research about the castle ruins there. I believe that the majority of the ruins are under water. I'm curious, you mentioned that that area is 1. City property - does this mean it's open to detecting? 2. You also mention it was a recreation area. I've seen reports that the ruins are located in the Hampton Cove area. Is this true?

Thanks,
JimH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread