Could use some pointers

ChicagoRob

Jul 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got my first metal detector today.( beginner so trying out a Bounty hunter Quick draw 2) Was wondering if anyone has some pointers? Going to my in-laws in a week and they live in a house that was a 1900's general store back in Canada. Basically was wondering whether I should dig all targets and risk the Mother-in-law wrath or aim for certain targets only. I am hoping for some old coins possibly Canadian, American and even British.

Also an old Railway town ghost town about 10 minutes from there I might check out.

Once again i am a metal detecting virgin so any and all pointers would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only tip I have for you is to practice pin pointing and digging small holes. Nobody likes the wrath of a mother-in-law.>:(

Being new at metal detecting (like me) I would dig all targets to learn how your md picks up different stuff.

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with cactusrat ad beginner you should dig all signals, digging it all will help you in determining which signals are what the longer you do this you will learn the way it signals sounds and what it mite be

dehash

Jul 20, 2012
Ridgefield, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased same Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Don't forget pin pointer! Or prepare to dig, dig, dig even more!:)

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would discriminate out iron and just go for the nickel to the dollar

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would practice some in ur backyard. Maybe put some change under a newpaper to experience pin pointing. As for discrim, I'd say any thing above iron but, u really need to get ur feet wet so all metals until u can tell what ur MD is telling u.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a newbie, you might practice using good targets AND trash targets. Learn to distinguish between the SOUND of good vs. bad targets. Tape over any display for awhile. It will just frustrate you at first. Also, I would advise making some test strips that contains targets to bury. I made some using a hot-plastic laminater. With a strip 11 and ½ " long, you can bury them to exact depths and later, pull them out without having to re-dig them. Many other tips that you will pick up from others so stick around this Net! TTC

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig anything above iron as other posters have stated, then once you get the feel for what is probably trash & what is not you can be more selective with your digging but for the first week I'd dig everything above iron! Learn to pin point well as it will limit your hole size & your time digging!

dehash

Jul 20, 2012
Ridgefield, CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First find out what your local laws say about MD and digging.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
First find out what your local laws say about MD and digging.

Dehash, if the "local laws" say nothing about md'ing (ie.: silent on the subject), then ..... presto ....... it isn't prohibited then, right? :occasion14:

As far as seeing what "local laws" say about DIGGING though: If that is going to stop someone from detecting, then I fear you have chosen the wrong hobby. Think about it dehash: ALL such verbage (things about "alterations" or "defacement" or "vandalism" "digging" etc...) implies an END result, do they not? Therefore if you leave the area exactly as you found it, then by logical definition, you have not "altered" or "defaced" anything, now have you? Even if the word "dig" is obviously there, it's because of the implication of "holes", right? (I mean, let's be honest). So then if you leave no holes or trace of your presence, then again, those type terms all refer to an end result.

To think otherwise, and you might as well give up now. Because I can assure you, that EVERY park, everywhere in both Canada and the United States will have something in their rules forbidding vandalism, alteration, digging, destruction, etc.... Or how about this: next time you think your hobby is automatically defined by those terms, try this: Go into the parks dept. near you, walk up to the supervisor, and say : "Hi. Can I please alter, destroy, and vandalize the park please?" And see what they say.

Last edited:

dehash

Jul 20, 2012
Ridgefield, CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is just my hobby, not a source of income. For me beach hunting is enough so far (state of CT ok with that). Later I will become more thick-skinned and will hunt in parks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
yes, that's exactly it. A thick skin is needed in this hobby. If someone fears ever having a lookie-lou draw connotations or gripe if you're in a park, then yeah, stick to the beach. Heck, even on the beach once, I had a lady say my detector was bothering her dog! (I guess she thought it emitted frequencies or something that only dogs heard?). So, yup, you gotta know how to give lip service in this hobby sometimes.

OP
OP
C

ChicagoRob

Jul 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the pointers guys. I might have to go for all above iron as there is most like a ton of iron nails in the yard. I got a pinpointer and carrying case with the detector so hopefully that will help. My wife said that they actually found a penny from late 1800's when they dug up a tree stump a couple years ago so hopeully I will find something.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the pointers guys. I might have to go for all above iron as there is most like a ton of iron nails in the yard. I got a pinpointer and carrying case with the detector so hopefully that will help. My wife said that they actually found a penny from late 1800's when they dug up a tree stump a couple years ago so hopeully I will find something.
If you're digging your own yard, don't go above the iron. Do all metal mode! You need to "clean out" the iron to find the goodies between. Dig different portions of the yard so the other portions can get a break. Be sure to water often to give the grass roots some time to grow back. I found more than $4.00 clad between the back porch and the car! An area less than 50 feet in length. But if I dug all in one day... or week.... the area would look like a live fire artillary range! Dig it all as you will be able to monitor the area very often without competition. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Refer to: Charles J. Guiteau (Garfield assassin) and Ulao, Wisconsin. Guiteau lived in Ulao as a 5 year old child. JimB, Alpha105, TimC, and I hunted the front yard there. We found the pic of the house in a WI ghost town book. The pic showed a large tree stump in front of the house. It was not there as we hunted.
" Charles Guiteau, assassin of President James Garfield, was James Gifford's nephew and lived in Ulao from 1850 to 1855.[SUP][4]" [/SUP] I found a V nickel in the yard where the tree would have been. My only point, I guess, is as above.... hunt everything in your yard to isolate the goodies! TTC

OP
OP
C

ChicagoRob

Jul 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
general store.jpg

here is a picture of the store in 1913. half the building still stands with the actual store part torn down.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good deal, Rob! It is my judgement that the better detectorists are also better researchers. Welcome to the Net! Tnx. TTC

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
ChicagoRob ... You will have a ton of targets no doubt. Since I'm just as green as you are at metal detecting, I can't offer much sage advice on tactics. However with reference to dealing with a mother-in-law, I have considerable "time on target" experience. Approach her as a sales prospect. Sell the idea of finding treasured items (coins, etc) in the yard. Demo the detector, and show her a copy of a treasure hunting magazine. Come running back in the house to show off a "find", if it looks good. Don't drag in a piece of junk, however. Also show the M-I-L how carefully you extract items from under the soil. Get a watering can to freshen up the grass plug area.
In other words you have to be a salesman to win over the old gal.

Let us know how your old store hunt turns out. Pictures of finds ... Picture of smiling mother-in-law, etc.

Merlin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions