First time metal detecting...where do I go? Or do?

Ladystarr

Jul 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! I received a metal detector on my birthday 2 years back...but only used it around the yard(found only dimes and nails, cans etc..) But I want to go somewhere else. I have no clue where i should go, and do I have to get permission from the city in certain areas? Any help in that area would be great! I live in georgia, so I would love to try the open fields around here. Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You must get permission to hunt on private land. I’m guessing that someone owns the open fields, so you must ask for permission.

You will have to do research on any city, county, state parks and land that you want to hunt on.

Hopefully a member of the forum will chime in with some better info for your area.

GL & HH.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! I received a metal detector on my birthday 2 years back...but only used it around the yard(found only dimes and nails, cans etc..) But I want to go somewhere else. I have no clue where i should go, and do I have to get permission from the city in certain areas? Any help in that area would be great! I live in georgia, so I would love to try the open fields around here. Thanks everyone!

Welcome from White Plains, New York! One of the important factors is location - where are you hunting? If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950). You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your machine. Good Luck!

A Few Land Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure Terry but I think you missed something.
I just can't put my finger on it.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, it would have been easier to say "anywhere" on land or shallow water...
Just kidding great info terry...!!!
Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, you'll have to decide what you plan on looking for. Some areas on Terry's list are better for certain items than others.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It looks like you are ready to move up in detecting. If you are anywhere near any of the old plantations that were burned in the Civil War, there is gold and silver to be taken. Just get permission and you have a TH's play ground. Funny face-flower.jpg

OP
OP
L

Ladystarr

Jul 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the help! And a big thanks to terry! I actually live in Covington, Ga. I believe there were a few plantations that were burned around here, I am going to have to look into it. There is actually an old lake near me with a beach where people used to hang out...I may start there to see what I get. Thanks for the list terry! Once it gets a little cooler here, I may start doing open fields...its about 100 here during the day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread