Sherlock Holmes method

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
The fictional character was a keen people watcher. I do think that method works for figuring out where there are likely hot spots for metal detecting too. One thing I'm thinking about is outdoor farm and estate auctions. If you've ever had the pleasure of being dragged to one of those as I was when I was a kid, you already know how the auction crowd operates. People stand around stomping the grass and if anything like a coin is dropped, it may easily be mashed down into the soil. Especially true if the soil is damp from rain or while raining. Another hot area of the auction location may be around the ubiquitous bake sale and beverage stand.

Information on where such sales have occurred is very difficult to obtain unless you sit down with some old-timers who know the town like their own children. The reason I'm mentioning this auction site idea is that my house and property was the location for just such an estate auction in the fall of 1972. We bought the place one year later and until recently did not know about there having been an auction here.

I've finally located the area that I think was the bake sale stand under the largest oak tree. Logical spot, now that I think about it. Also I'm pretty certain I know where rows of display tables had been. That's where I dug up a crushed Victorian silver brush handle. It must have gotten stomped down in the soft soil. Up close to the house, I'm going batty with hits on roofing nails. No surprise there. Out in the large flat part of what I now call my front yard was probably the parking area for auction customers. There, I'm getting keys, and a few coins. Nothing super old yet. The way I spotted the concession stand area was the massive number of pull tabs about 2" down. I'm still carefully working that area under the big oak tree.

Unfortunately over the years we did some "lawn improvement" which was mostly bringing in top soil to fill up low spots in the front yard. Probably buried a few coins deeper than the detector can sniff out now.

Anyway it is a fun way for a newbie like me to learn metal detecting and not have to worry about being chased off by the cops. My only adversary is my wife who jumped my case about an hour ago concerning holes in the gravel driveway. I'll be filling those in tomorrow.

Merlin

Upvote 0

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I rather have a cop telling me I can't detect in a certain area than my wife talking for days about the holes I make...lol

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not fill in the holes as you go? It's a much better habit to get into especially if you start hunting parks or schools.

OP
OP
Moonrover

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
cudamark said:
Why not fill in the holes as you go? It's a much better habit to get into especially if you start hunting parks or schools.

In my yard the holes got the royal treatment. For my gravel driveway the holes when refilled did not meet my wife's impossible high standards. I plan to get out the wheelbarrow to move some fresh gravel over to the dug spots and cover them. It's all a visual thing. You can bet I'm not going to let the wife know she has some advocates on T-net agreeing with her.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread