New metal Dectector need someome to possibly to go with

USMC-dad

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there ! My kids and wife bought me a new metal detector for fathers day, just got it about a wek ago, i read the mauual but i feel like a 1st grader using it, i did find a few metal objects (junk) and 3 pennies its a start i guess but the problem is man o man the thing beepsat everything, i swing it one way it beeps another spot same thing my yard lookes like gophers moved in! Im Not gong to give up but wow really depresses ya. I was wondering if anyone lives near erie pa or surrounding area that might be able to help me a bit to figure out dectecting and how to use this thing proper? I Really do love metal detecting but i feel half retarted using it the wrong way. anyhelp would be much appreciated! Thanks! USMC-dad

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would help if we knew the brand and model detector so those that have the same thing can better help you.

OP
OP
U

USMC-dad

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

It would help if we knew the brand and model detector so those that have the same thing can better help you.

Hello, it's a Discovery 2200 by Bounty hunter Thank you again!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the BH is a good starters MD, it will work as long as you keep it up. The first days metal detecting are frustrating for all of us, that is just how it is. One advise I can tell you is that you need to read a lot, watch as many Youtube videos you can, and go out and spend as much time with your metal detector as you can.
Now you have to know that the key in MD is to understand your machine. With time and practice you will be able to understand what to dig and what not to. It takes time and you won't be able to get it just by trying one time. It might take you 3-4 days of hard work (4 hours min. each time out) to get a handle of your first metal detector. Once you understand your machine you will start finding good targhets (if there are any) and knowing how the trash sounds like.
Keep it up and search for a MD club near you, there might be or not I don't know, but if there is any you should contact them and join them in some hunt. I personally don't have any other metal detectorist in a 2000 mile radius, so I had to do it all by myself, but I got it, (and If I could get it you can too.... )....
HH

OP
OP
U

USMC-dad

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HH Thank you very much for the information, i will read and re-read and i promise one of these days i will list some finds on here and hopefully a few good ones. Thank you for the confidence to That Helps alot. One thing i am is bound and determined! Also i will check my area for a MD club, never thought of that ! Thank you again !!!! USMC-dad

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you gone on You Tube and put in your metal detector (Brand and model & model#) and then did a search? There are great videos on there to watch, or even just put your detector (brand, model & model#) in on Google or Bing and that will lead you to sites that may have videos to also help. I've watch lots of videos to help me along before I started so I could get as much information and views as possible. Good Luck!

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot all about youtube Lady Pirate, alot of useful info there.

OP
OP
U

USMC-dad

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Than you so much Lady I found some on youtube!

Have you gone on You Tube and put in your metal detector (Brand and model & model#) and then did a search? There are great videos on there to watch, or even just put your detector (brand, model & model#) in on Google or Bing and that will lead you to sites that may have videos to also help. I've watch lots of videos to help me along before I started so I could get as much information and views as possible. Good Luck!

Thank you again so much The info on youtube does help i am excited to go try it out now! Happy Hunting!!

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey usmc-dad i also have a bh2200 and md since feb and i like my detector i found sliver and alot of clad coins. Be nice have someone to hunt with like u nobody in my area i live in southern new mexico. I been watching alot of youtube and asking question here on the net, everybody been great

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions